Rumor: Guentzel's rights available for a mid-round pick

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
If trading for a player’s rights doesn’t bring the 8th year then what’s the point of wasting the pick. Just wait for July 1.

Carolina can do a sign and trade, which they are happy to facilitate in exchange for a draft pick.

Otherwise there’s not much point which is why you don’t see teams just trade for rights very often.

Reactions: Fatass

ameselare

Mar 30, 2024
vancouver
Chicago's location would be a good midpoint between Guentzel's family in Minnesota and his wife's family in Pittsburgh.
Underrated point made here - can't put a price on being close to family.

Would be massive for Bedard's development, go for it
Yeah, I think people can tend to downplay how important it is for young players to play with established, high-end NHLers. Taylor Hall ain't gonna cut it for all of Bedard, Nazar, Moore, etc etc.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I really don’t understand Guentzel being connected to Chicago.
They’re going to have of Jones and Gunetzel on the cap sheet, while the rest of their core is in their prime?
Keep it short with the older UFAs.
Acquire and/or sign younger guys for long-term (Debrusk makes sense)
I’m with you. Not sure how I see it making sense for the player or the team. At all.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Debrusk is only two years younger than Guentzel and won’t have half the impact that a guy the caliber of Guentzel will have playing with Bedard. I would almost guarantee Guentzel will continue to be a higher caliber player than Debrusk for pretty much the entire remainder of their careers.

Your window can open quickly with a guy like Bedard. The plan should not be to have a generational player and then not surround him with the best talent you can. Guentzel could elevate Bedard to another level this season and the Hawks could be very competative within a couple of years…well within the timeframe the Jake should still be a first line player.
Bedard is a great player. However, not sure he’s that good he can “open windows quickly”.

Using that logic McDavid — who is obviously a better player than Bedard — would be battling for his 3rd or 4th Cup right now.

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
Underrated point made here - can't put a price on being close to family.

Yeah, I think people can tend to downplay how important it is for young players to play with established, high-end NHLers. Taylor Hall ain't gonna cut it for all of Bedard, Nazar, Moore, etc etc.
Davidson has been going for character guys, which is good and needed but its time to start going for non-toxic quality NHLers to insulate those young talents. 100% agree with you

ameselare

Mar 30, 2024
vancouver
Davidson has been going for character guys, which is good and needed but its time to start going for non-toxic quality NHLers to insulate those young talents. 100% agree with you
I don't remember it being talked about much at the time (could just be me not remembering properly), but it is kinda interesting to look back on how two of the more talented players KD got to play with Bedard last off season are known assholes - Perry and Hall. I know part of that is just who was available and willing to sign in Chicago, but still lol

Colorado Avalanche
Are they just firing both Landeskog and Nuke into the sun?

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
Rick Dhaliwal reporting that any suggestions or rumors about Jake Guentzel not wanting to play in Canada or Vancouver are false. And that he was open to being trade to the Canucks at the last TDL.

The likelihood is that this tidbit comes from the agent. Rick generally gets his information from either the Canucks directly or the agents he has networked with. Ben Hankinson is Guentzel’s agent and also Brock Boeser’s agent.

Rick Dhaliwal also speculates that:
[*]A free agent winger will want to prioritize which center he is playing with—and that Pettersson would be a selling point.
[*]Guentzel ought to be a main priority for the Canucks on July 1st.

Reactions: Fatass and Vector

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think Guentzel makes sense for Vancouver to target, but it's largely a question of how they'd fit him in. I imagine Vancouver would have to offer more money than other teams to compensate for taxes in Vancouver being insanely high, something like $8.5 million in Nashville is likely equivalent to $9.5 million in Vancouver. I seriously doubt Vancouver can get Guentzel for an AAV starting in the 8s.

I think Vancouver signing Guentzel would likely require a Boeser trade, which you can argue is a pretty smart asset allocation. Trade a 4th to get Guentzel's UFA rights, sign him and then trade Boeser for a 1st+ seems like a no brainer decision. Especially considering Boeser is a UFA after next year wand likely won't be much cheaper than Guentzel.

Reactions: Michel Beauchamp

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I think Guentzel makes sense for Vancouver to target, but it's largely a question of how they'd fit him in. I imagine Vancouver would have to offer more money than other teams to compensate for taxes in Vancouver being insanely high, something like $8.5 million in Nashville is likely equivalent to $9.5 million in Vancouver. I seriously doubt Vancouver can get Guentzel for an AAV starting in the 8s.

I think Vancouver signing Guentzel would likely require a Boeser trade, which you can argue is a pretty smart asset allocation. Trade a 4th to get Guentzel's UFA rights, sign him and then trade Boeser for a 1st+ seems like a no brainer decision. Especially considering Boeser is a UFA after next year wand likely won't be much cheaper than Guentzel.

They can sign Guentzel, keep Boeser, buyout Mikheyev, and let Lindholm and Joshua walk depending on what they want to do with the defence and depth forwards. Could still sign Hronek and Zadorov but would have to bargain bin the rest of the roster

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
They can sign Guentzel, keep Boeser, buyout Mikheyev, and let Lindholm and Joshua walk depending on what they want to do with the defence and depth forwards. Could still sign Hronek and Zadorov but would have to bargain bin the rest of the roster

Let me rephrase. If Vancouver wants to actually have a complete roster and not just completely gut their forward depth or defense, they likely need a Boeser trade.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022

Trading Boeser is not needed to sign Jake. The whole point of targeting Jake is to improve the clubs biggest issue, top six wingers and
Boeser is a steal for his production and would be impossible to replace at a similar cap hit.

It's almost a given that Mikheyev is traded or bought out leaving almost 32 million in cap space, that's a lot of cap and while I get we have a bunch of expiring contracts but the core of the team is signed so now it comes down to how they want to spend that 32 million. There's so many different scenarios but you gotta figure Alvin has getting EP at least 1 winger his top priority so might as well get the best one if there's mutual interest.
Shit with all the Americans that we have that's gotta help with the sales pitch lol.
This roster kind of puts the "Canadian teams are at a disadvantage cuz Americans won't play here" excuse the fanbases out here whine about.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Let me rephrase. If Vancouver wants to actually have a complete roster and not just completely gut their forward depth or defense, they likely need a Boeser trade.

I don’t think that’s the case though. They could still have something like

Guentzel - Pettersson - Hoglander
Suter - Miller - Boeser
Xxx - Blueger - Garland
PDG - Aman - Podkolzin

Hughes - Hronek
Soucy - Myers
Zadorov - Juulsen

Demko
Silovs

And fit it under the cap. It’s sacrificing a bit of the depth and not adding anything other than Guentzel, but adding Guentzel is a pretty big difference maker. The bargain bin guys Im referring to would be in depth roles such as someone for the third line and Juulsen. They could also move Hronek instead and sign a cheaper UFA defenseman like Tanev or DeMelo. I’m not opposed to moving Boeser per se but one of the reasons they’d want Guentzel is to add too 6 talent. Swapping Boeser for him is an upgrade but not nearly to the same extent.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Suter - Miller - Boeser
Xxx - Blueger - Garland
PDG - Aman - Podkolzin

Hughes - Hronek
Soucy - Myers
Zadorov - Juulsen

Demko
Silovs

And fit it under the cap. It’s sacrificing a bit of the depth and not adding anything other than Guentzel, but adding Guentzel is a pretty big difference maker. The bargain basement guys are in depth roles not key roles. They could also move Hronek instead and sign a cheaper UFA defenseman like Tanev or DeMelo. I’m not opposed to moving Boeser per se but one of the reasons they’d want Guentzel is to add too 6 talent. Swapping Boeser for him is an upgrade but not nearly to the same extent.

Yeah that's a fair point, you can also sacrifice by having someone like Suter or Hoglander in a top-6 role but that shouldn't be too major of an issue with the other 2 players on that line.

I think that's probably the best bet they can go with, go with a duo setup and have lesser guys (more so Suter than Hoglander in this case) alternate until they find a combination that works. Maybe Podkolzin really clicks with either Guentzel-Pettersson or Miller-Boeser, or maybe Lekkerimaki can make a jump earlier than expected.

Guentzel-Pettersson-Podkolzin looks seems it could mesh really well if Podkolzin just acts as a "net front grinder" type for that line. Similar to how the Penguins have Drew O'Connor on L1 with Crosby despite him only really being a decent 3rd liner.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
If he wants the big bucks, go to Chicago. Tons of space and they could really use him riding shotgun with Bedard but your chances of winning anytime soon are near zilch.

I think he ends up going to Nashville honestly.

If he wanted to chase the highest payday he could, he's already got his name on the Cup, he doesn't have to spend his later years chasing it.

Skead

Aug 27, 2010
Vancouver
I imagine Vancouver would have to offer more money than other teams to compensate for taxes in Vancouver being insanely high, something like $8.5 million in Nashville is likely equivalent to $9.5 million in Vancouver. I seriously doubt Vancouver can get Guentzel for an AAV starting in the 8s.

I thought this was a big deal until I learned that Canada has an agreement that allows players to be taxed the same as a state with No Income Tax. It sounds like it just needs to be utilized, as per A.W.

It's called Retirement Compensation Agreement

Reactions: wintersej

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
I thought this was a big deal until I learned that Canada has an agreement that allows players to be taxed the same as a state with No Income Tax. It sounds like it just needs to be utilized, as per A.W.

It's called Retirement Compensation Agreement

This must only be for Vancouver, because this would mean that other Canadian fans have been complaining for nothing.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022

Suter - Miller - Boeser
Xxx - Blueger - Garland
PDG - Aman - Podkolzin

Hughes - Hronek
Soucy - Myers
Zadorov - Juulsen

Demko
Silovs

And fit it under the cap. It’s sacrificing a bit of the depth and not adding anything other than Guentzel, but adding Guentzel is a pretty big difference maker. The bargain bin guys Im referring to would be in depth roles such as someone for the third line and Juulsen. They could also move Hronek instead and sign a cheaper UFA defenseman like Tanev or DeMelo. I’m not opposed to moving Boeser per se but one of the reasons they’d want Guentzel is to add too 6 talent. Swapping Boeser for him is an upgrade but not nearly to the same extent.
I like where your at with the lineup except a few changes I would make is I'm sacrificing on defense in order to add one more top six winger both picking one of Zadorov or Hronek. EP2 plays a style that is similar to Zadorov, he hits he's mean and is very solid in his own end. He's not ready yet but signing Zadorov blocks him. Willander is our future top RHD so while losing Hronek hurts now Willander likely makes the team in 25-26.

If we traded Hronek for Ehlers we could likely get retention If the deal is 1-1.
If we don't re-sign Zads a guy like Toffolli is a perfect fit.

Toffoli - EP Guentzal
Ehlers - EP- Guentzal
Boeser - JT - Podz
Hogz - Lindy- Garland
Raty - Suter- Linus

Hughes -Hronek
Hughes - Tanev
Soucy - Myers
Hirose/ Breeze- Juulson.
The lineup with Hronek is tight and likely requires a discount or added term to save a million but still doable.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2012
This must only be for Vancouver, because this would mean that other Canadian fans have been complaining for nothing.

No it's all Canadian teams, but it's my understanding that it's essentially deferring salary until retirement. At that point the player has to have residence in a no tax state to claim it. It's not exactly as great of a deal as Walsh claims it to be as far as I'm aware. When you factor in investments vs inflation money now is better than money 5/10/15 years down the road.

Reactions: Killer Orcas

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
No it's all Canadian teams, but it's my understanding that it's essentially deferring salary until retirement. At that point the player has to have residence in a no tax state to claim it. It's not exactly as great of a deal as Walsh claims it to be as far as I'm aware. When you factor in investments vs inflation money now is better than money 5/10/15 years down the road.

It was a joke, Canadian fans of not-Canucks teams have been crying for years about tax rates and why their team can't attract UFA's or American players.

Evidently the Canucks don't count because it's the only Canadian team that NTC holders will leave off their list.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Canucks should be all over this and trade for him. Give up a 4th heck even a 3rd.

Use that 8th year to lower the AAV.

Apparently Vancouver was one of the preferred top destinations for Geuntzel at the trade deadline.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
Canucks should be all over this and trade for him. Give up a 4th heck even a 3rd.

Use that 8th year to lower the AAV.

Apparently Vancouver was one of the preferred top destinations for Geuntzel at the trade deadline.
The Canucks cannot acquire Guentzel’s rights and offer an eighth year.

You have to have the player on your reserve list at the prior TDL in order to offer an eighth year. Simply acquiring their rights prior to UFA doesn’t satisfy this criteria.

The only way they could sign him to eight years is if they executed a sign-and-trade with Carolina (which would likely cost more than a mid-round pick)

Reactions: Vector

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad