Rumor: Guentzel's rights available for a mid-round pick

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Honestly curious where he lands. I keep hearing Vancouver, but I don't see the fit, need, or space. So that means it's probably happening.
fident, but I trust you know more about your team than I do. Just out of curiosity, why are Nucks fans so desperate to move Mikheyev for cap space if it's not a concern?

Guentzel would definitely fit, the Canucks need another top offensive player to play with Pettersson & ideally a left shot to help on the PP (fill the role Horvat left).

Canucks have cap space but so many guys they'd like to bring back that any space they can clear helps. Garland & Boeser had great seasons while Mikheyev started strong then fell off the face earth, so he's the obvious candidate.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
I don’t think that’s the case though. They could still have something like

Guentzel - Pettersson - Hoglander
Suter - Miller - Boeser
Xxx - Blueger - Garland
PDG - Aman - Podkolzin

Hughes - Hronek
Soucy - Myers
Zadorov - Juulsen

Demko
Silovs

And fit it under the cap. It’s sacrificing a bit of the depth and not adding anything other than Guentzel, but adding Guentzel is a pretty big difference maker. The bargain bin guys Im referring to would be in depth roles such as someone for the third line and Juulsen. They could also move Hronek instead and sign a cheaper UFA defenseman like Tanev or DeMelo. I’m not opposed to moving Boeser per se but one of the reasons they’d want Guentzel is to add too 6 talent. Swapping Boeser for him is an upgrade but not nearly to the same extent.
I'd be pretty shocked if Lekkerimaki doesn't make the team out of camp. They need a few scoring wingers and he is on an ELC. He is going into his D+3 season, I certainly don't thing it's too big of a stretch.

The Canucks cannot acquire Guentzel’s rights and offer an eighth year.

You have to have the player on your reserve list at the prior TDL in order to offer an eighth year. Simply acquiring their rights prior to UFA doesn’t satisfy this criteria.

The only way they could sign him to eight years is if they executed a sign-and-trade with Carolina (which would likely cost more than a mid-round pick)
I never knew this, thank you for this.

He fills the biggest need- a top line winger? Also would fit like a glove with Petey. We’ll just let Lindholm and Joshua likely walk and sign a few scoring wingers.
I agree, Guenzel would fill a huge need, whereas Lindholm is a luxury.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I'd be pretty shocked if Lekkerimaki doesn't make the team out of camp. They need a few scoring wingers and he is on an ELC. He is going into his D+3 season, I certainly don't thing it's too big of a stretch.

I never knew this, thank you for this.

I agree, Guenzel would fill a huge need, whereas Lindholm is a luxury.

From those that watched him, Lekkerimaki didn't seem quite there yet with his overall game in his brief AHL stint. I think with the team’s success and with what we’ve seen recently with Hoglander and Podkolzin having solid rookie years only to regress and have to go back to the AHL, I just don’t see management rushing Lek, or Tocchet playing him much if his overall game isn’t there considering how Kuzmenko went. I think if anything he becomes a call up later in the year.

Reactions: Killer Orcas

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Honestly curious where he lands. I keep hearing Vancouver, but I don't see the fit, need, or space. So that means it's probably happening.
I’m sorry, my friend but this makes no sense.
The biggest fit the Vancouver Canucks have off-season is a winger to play with Petey lol

Reactions: Fatass

TheBigLetowski

Jul 31, 2016
I also don't think it's happened because per Pierre Lebrun on overdrive (6/13), the Canes made a "pretty strong 8 year offer" I think the team will hold onto his rights and they will keep talking until July 1 to see if he'll take the extra year.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I will be surprised to see any rights trades.

GMs how money burning a hole in their pockets and agents are going to take advantage of it.

A lot of players will go to the market to see the crazy money they will get offered

Reactions: Darren McCord

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
I thought Dubas soured the Guentzel-Pittsburgh relationship?

Which is too bad, they could have treated him better, traded him for a 1st, and resigned him now as he is a perfect fit with both their centers.
He wouldnt be signing because of Dubas, he would be signing because of Crosby. Jake didnt want to leave Pittsburgh.

No different than when Malkin got slighted by the team and Crosby stepped in and told both sides to stop it and get a deal done. Jake never wanted to leave, the Penguins will show interest if he hits free agency.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
The team that owns his rights can offer him 8 years, while any team that waits until he becomes UFA can only offer 7 years. This is Guentzel's last big contract, that extra year is a very valuable bargaining chip.

That’s not exactly how it works. Any team trading for him now cannot offer him 8 years. Only the canes can. The player has to have been on your reserve list at the deadline for you to offer the 8th year. Of course, a sign and trade is always an option.

B’s trade Ullmark, UFA rights Debrusk, Farrinacchi For Necas and UFA rights to Guentzel

Canes don’t do the basis of this (Necas for Ullmark) and adding all the secondary pieces in the world doesn’t change that.

Reactions: LaVal

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Rick Dhaliwal reporting that any suggestions or rumors about Jake Guentzel not wanting to play in Canada or Vancouver are false. And that he was open to being trade to the Canucks at the last TDL.

The likelihood is that this tidbit comes from the agent. Rick generally gets his information from either the Canucks directly or the agents he has networked with. Ben Hankinson is Guentzel’s agent and also Brock Boeser’s agent.

Rick Dhaliwal also speculates that:
[*]A free agent winger will want to prioritize which center he is playing with—and that Pettersson would be a selling point.
[*]Guentzel ought to be a main priority for the Canucks on July 1st.

Is Daliwal connecting JG’s willingness to play (live) in Vancouver for a couple months after the TDL with being there for seven years?

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I just dont see any team wasting an asset on someone they can pitch too for free during free agency
That’s part of it for sure. But a club might want to negotiate with JG before the July 1 UFA opening so they know if they can sign him or not. If they learn it’s a no go early then they can focus on using that cap room on other UFAs.

Guentzel long term on Bedard’s wing seems like a great fit to me.
Would JG want that though? Hawks are still rebuilding and there will be several tough seasons coming. JG has been on winning teams and might rank that high on where he plays.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
UFA rights trades have been pretty random in player quality. Since the MOU, the list is Edmundson, Bernier, Goodrow, Husso, Foligno, Galchenyuk (might have been a contract slot dump in the Johansen trade) Olofsson and Perry. Severson was an actual Sign and Trade for an 8th year.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
UFA rights trades have been pretty random in player quality. Since the MOU, the list is Edmundson, Bernier, Goodrow, Husso, Foligno, Galchenyuk (might have been a contract slot dump in the Johansen trade) Olofsson and Perry. Severson was an actual Sign and Trade for an 8th year.
Guentzal is 29 going on 30 when the season begins. 2013 draftee with a late birthday.
Have to remember that each year is worth a certain amount of money, and at his age, should decline over time, vs an RFA who would increase over time.

What does a 7 year deal look like $8 mill per? So, if you were adding year 8, that's really worth around $3 mill when he, to get you to $59 mill over 8 years, to lower the cap charge to like $7.4 mill. Adding year 8 would drop the AAV by around $500K, but then you've got that 8th year on your books. Never know how a player will age or be healthy. Or the attitude of the player. Parise was a shell of his former self, but kept playing. Had he remained with the Wild, that's the full cap charge on him despite his play being closer to the minimum. Whereas others that were younger ended up on LTIR with "chronic" pain like a Callahan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad