Rumor: Guentzel's rights available for a mid-round pick

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

PenguinSuitedUp

Sponsor
Oct 2, 2019
That’s part of it for sure. But a club might want to negotiate with JG before the July 1 UFA opening so they know if they can sign him or not. If they learn it’s a no go early then they can focus on using that cap room on other UFAs.

Would JG want that though? Hawks are still rebuilding and there will be several tough seasons coming. JG has been on winning teams and might rank that high on where he plays.
I have to think it’s just about the perfect fit for a guy like Jake. He’s played on Crosby’s wing his entire career and now has the opportunity to play on another star center’s wing, this time as the veteran who can help groom Bedard into the player he will become. At the same time, he’ll get max term and payment, because Chicago’s in the position to give him that kind of contract. It’s really the perfect combination of fit and timing.

Reactions: Fatass and Mrfenn92

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I have to think it’s just about the perfect fit for a guy like Jake. He’s played on Crosby’s wing his entire career and now has the opportunity to play on another star center’s wing, this time as the veteran who can help groom Bedard into the player he will become. At the same time, he’ll get max term and payment, because Chicago’s in the position to give him that kind of contract. It’s really the perfect combination of fit and timing.
The Hawks could certainly afford the cap space to way overpay to get JG. He does seem to be a guy who wants to play on a winner and compete for the Cup. But money trumps that so maybe the Hawks have a chance to get him?

PenguinSuitedUp

Sponsor
Oct 2, 2019
The Hawks could certainly afford the cap space to way overpay to get JG. He does seem to be a guy who wants to play on a winner and compete for the Cup. But money trumps that so maybe the Hawks have a chance to get him?
I think when you have a player of Bedard’s caliber, your path toward being a competitive team accelerates. Chicago could certainly be competing for the playoffs in the next 3-4 years, no?

Reactions: Fatass

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I think when you have a player of Bedard’s caliber, your path toward being a competitive team accelerates. Chicago could certainly be competing for the playoffs in the next 3-4 years, no?
Will JG want to be on a club that’s going to take that long to compete? Hence the overpay to get him.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Will JG want to be on a club that’s going to take that long to compete? Hence the overpay to get him.
He's won, so if they paid him the most, I could see it. But, from a Chicago POV, Jake is 29 now and given the money they signed Dickinson and Folgino for over the 2 seasons, they aren't really pushing for the POs, until after that. So, Jake is going to be 31 when those 2 are off the books and Bedard on his next contract. How many good years does he have left at that point before his production drops. Someone from the 2005 draft class, like Sid, Jack Johnson, Kopitar, Oshie, etc are at the age Jake would be should he get an 8 year contract this past season. So, be realistic what those guys from 2005, 2006, and 2007 have been when thinking about how years 6,7, and 8 for Jake would likely look like.

Reactions: Fatass

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad