LeBrun: Guentzel: Pens want prospects over picks - Carolina favorite

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If Nashville put its 1st on the table, Pittsburgh’s taking it. That pick from a bubble team is the desired value piece for a top end rental. I’m guessing it’s not being offered right now, hence the rumor about prioritizing a prospect.

Playing around with PuckPedia’s new draft value tool (Link), the difference between 19, Nashville’s current pick by P%, and say 27 is equivalent to a non-playoff team’s 2nd round pick (43OA). And that’s if that type of trade is even available to make; the difference could higher in reality. 1st round swaps aren’t that frequent.

I don't think Nashville's 1st is all that different than Vegas' 1st right now, with Vegas kinda stumbling over the past few months.

I still think Vegas is the clear favorite. Brisson makes a ton of sense both as a Guentzel replacement and also a connection to Crosby, since Brisson's dad is Crosby's agent and Crosby even babysat Brisson when he was a younger NHLer.

I think Brisson would be a consistent 25-25 or 30-30 player on Crosby's wing. He wouldn't be Guentzel 2.0, but he'd be a Guentzel-lite player IMO.

Reactions: WhataKnight

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
I don't think Nashville's 1st is all that different than Vegas' 1st right now, with Vegas kinda stumbling over the past few months.

I still think Vegas is the clear favorite. Brisson makes a ton of sense both as a Guentzel replacement and also a connection to Crosby, since Brisson's dad is Crosby's agent and Crosby even babysat Brisson when he was a younger NHLer.

I think Brisson would be a consistent 25-25 or 30-30 player on Crosby's wing. He wouldn't be Guentzel 2.0, but he'd be a Guentzel-lite player IMO.

I disagree there. There is real risk of Vegas’ pick being bumped into the 29-32 range (just requires a conference finals appearance). Nashville’s risk of the same is equivalent to that of the Isles last year: not much.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I think getting a 2024 1st from Vegas or Nashville would actually be quite enticing to the Penguins.

If the pick turns out at 20, for example, and the Penguins end up at the 10-12 region, sending that to SJS is of little consequence. The only thing that might make them keep is if they win a lottery pick and draft high. I would take a 1st, A prospect, B/C prospect for either.

Honestly, I like Nashville's prospect pool better than Vegas's but with where Nashville is at, I'm not sure they are willing to give up them quality prospects we'd want.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yeah that deal screams Vegas to me. Brisson is the young NHL roster player, the 1st is a 1st and they'll be shooting for an additional Cataford level prospect or two. They'll likely get the young NHL roster player, the 1st and one Cataford level prospect.

Reactions: Bone Density

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
This is interesting. Doesnt seem like a Hurricanes move then.

The Canes tend to not spend big assets on rentals, I think they were always one of the lesser likely teams.

I think Vegas is the clear and massive favorite, where I'd probably rank Florida as 2nd.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Edmonton just waived Gagner. Making room for Guentzel? I think they win the cup adding another ppg forward that excels in the playoffs.

Reactions: Bone Density

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
If Pittsburgh was offered Hoglander, Dubas would be stupid not to take it. Hoglander is a very good player.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
This is interesting. Doesnt seem like a Hurricanes move then.

Counterintuitively, I think it’s the opposite. A max term Guentzel extension is undesirable. If another team were to pay extra to give that contract, there was no shot the Canes would be in the bidding. Now, maybe there’s a chance of a one-off move to go for it.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If Pittsburgh was offered Hoglander, Dubas would be stupid not to take it. Hoglander is a very good player.

I don't think he has a notably high upside that makes him a must-acquire if he's on the table.

Hoglander's upside is a Jason Zucker type of 2nd liner. That's a good player, but not "you have to get this guy if you can!" good.

If the Penguins can get Brisson, 1-2 B prospects and a 1st from Vegas for Guentzel, Vancouver would need to be offering far more than just Hoglander for me to pick Vancouver's offer.

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009
Dubas will never deal with or help the Leafs lol some of you are nuts

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Hoglander, Raty, 1st probably gets it done. I could also see Hoglander, Raty, Podkolzin, 2025 2nd or something like that as well.

An interesting aspect to this discussion to is the "they don't want to resign him". Well...if Jake wants to stay in Pittsburgh...

If that's the case they better not retain on him.
If Edmonton wants Jake @50%, I would want Dubas to absolutely loot anything of value not bolted down in Edmonton.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Hoglander, Raty, 1st probably gets it done. I could also see Hoglander, Raty, Podkolzin, 2025 2nd or something like that as well.

An interesting aspect to this discussion to is the "they don't want to resign him". Well...if Jake wants to stay in Pittsburgh...

Yeah despite how Canucks fans keep insisting this is a "huge overpayment", this is what I'd need from Vancouver to go with Vancouver over Vegas offering Brisson, 2 B prospects and a 2024 1st.

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
Counterintuitively, I think it’s the opposite. A max term Guentzel extension is undesirable. If another team were to pay extra to give that contract, there was no shot the Canes would be in the bidding. Now, maybe there’s a chance of a one-off move to go for it.
I see what you are saying but it would be just that a one off.

Going for it with Necas and Signed Guentzel and get back ur assets for a Necas RFA trade in the offseason.

You get older but better (for a few years) and secure with your signing. Something feels fishy about Necas and the canes front office.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
the fact the canucks are still in the forefront of this suggests to me the pens are struggling to get a good offer and it will likely be vegas because only vegas proffers a first. canucks already made a big move and a second deal for guentzel hat somehow outbids a vegas offer that includes the vgk first in this draft would require smoke and mirrors to pull off.

or to put it another way, if the canucks are front runners then four of the six teams in the mix cannot beat the canucks offer which implies the pens are getting lowballed left and right, probably because they took the first off the table. the very fact the pens say they will entertain a no 1st offer is like a price reduction on a house. other offers are probably teams throwing a couple of out of favour prospects at the wall hoping the pens covet someone they do not.

• Love
Reactions: andora

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh

If Edmonton wants Jake @50%, I would want Dubas to absolutely loot anything of value not bolted down in Edmonton.
There's absolutely nothing worthwhile in Edmonton.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad