LeBrun: Guentzel: Pens want prospects over picks - Carolina favorite

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TotalHomer

Jan 3, 2022
Idk anything about how they value their prospects/players but I’d do it for Samsokevich+ Lundell. Maybe that’s off the table from their perspective but idk.

I can't see Lundell being moved, he's a roster player for us and has a well defined and needed role on the team. Especially for a rental. Samo I can see being available but Guentzel is probably out of our price range.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
I can't see Lundell being moved, he's a roster player for us and has a well defined and needed role on the team. Especially for a rental. Samo I can see being available but Guentzel is probably out of our price range.
Dang. Even with Knight’s contract going out?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
What is a recent deadline rental deal that got a better young nhl player than hoglander?

Giroux returned Tippett. I think Hoglander is better this season, but Tippett is clearly the better player now.

Hossa returned Colby Armstrong who had similar point production.

There aren't really any other comparable to a player of Jake Guentzel's caliber being traded.

You could argue Horvat, but he re-signed.

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Imagine thinking Brisson is the more coveted prospect than Podkolzin despite both literally having identical AHL numbers and the latter has 1.5 seasons of NHL experience while only being 4 months older.

Imagine using the Jeannot trade as a comparable. A 25 year old low AAV guy that fills a unique set of roles and skills to a team that obviously has no issue overspending to get a player like that while banking on potential. Then using the Hall trade as another comparable… a guy who won the Hart trophy and was being traded to a bottom feeder that had a plethora of picks and prospects that they were okay with spending to get the player they wanted. Not to mention he was 27/28 at the time.

Of course, if you traded Guentzel to a team like Buffalo, Anaheim, Chicago, etc you’ll get the best possible return you could ask for. But you won’t be getting nearly the same value trading a pending UFA to a playoff team, and the return becomes even more narrower when there’s only a select handful of teams of those playoff teams that have shown an interest.

Reactions: Baby Pettersson

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Imagine thinking Brisson is the more coveted prospect than Podkolzin despite both literally having identical AHL numbers and the latter has 1.5 seasons of NHL experience while only being 4 months older.
You just explained why one could think Brisson is a better prospect. A lot similar on paper but one is slightly younger with more offensive skill.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
Giroux returned Tippett. I think Hoglander is better this season, but Tippett is clearly the better player now.

Hossa returned Colby Armstrong who had similar point production.

There aren't really any other comparable to a player of Jake Guentzel's caliber being traded.

You could argue Horvat, but he re-signed.
Tippett ok.. not when he was traded imo. How hes turned out isnt relevant though

Armstrong ok blast from the past nice. Horvat i think is different because of the timing but still fair

Probably Tippett.
Yep..
What recent 40 goal, PPG winger doesn't land up and coming prospects.
?
Stick to your parody

Guess you aren’t getting Toffoli cheaper.

Wtf is he doing

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
What did James neal cost u guys? What did Phil Kessel?

James Neal returned a top 4 defenseman coming off 37 point and 31 point seasons. More than Hoglander has put up in a season at this point.

Phil Kessel returned Kasperi Kapenen (who went on to put up a 40 point season), Harrington, a 1st, and a 3rd. Kessel also basically forced Toronto's hand.

Tippett ok.. not when he was traded imo. How hes turned out isnt relevant though

Armstrong ok blast from the past nice. Horvat i think is different because of the timing but still fair

I think the issue with finding a comparable for Guentzel is players like him are not moved at the deadline.

I could see the Penguins getting a really shitty return for him. I could see them getting a boatload.

The market seems frozen based on his status though. I imagine the Penguins will get a haul. I can't think of a player besides Hossa that was moved since the cap era that had the type of resume Jake does and is still in the age where he has 3-5 great years left.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
James Neal returned a top 4 defenseman coming off 37 point and 31 point seasons. More than Hoglander has put up in a season at this point.

Phil Kessel returned Kasperi Kapenen (who went on to put up a 40 point season), Harrington, a 1st, and a 3rd. Kessel also basically forced Toronto's hand.

I think the issue with finding a comparable for Guentzel is players like him are not moved at the deadline.

I could see the Penguins getting a really shitty return for him. I could see them getting a boatload.

The market seems frozen based on his status though. I imagine the Penguins will get a haul. I can't think of a player besides Hossa that was moved since the cap era that had the type of resume Jake does and is still in the age where he has 3-5 great years left.

Hossa really is the best comparable.

1rst + top prospect + two young roster players

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria

I think the issue with finding comparable for Guentzel is players like him are not moved at the deadline.

Off of memory last year oreilly and ekholm were the two best players moved.. imo within guentzels tier.. neither got a good young nhl player in the packages

I mean if pittsburgh is focusing on players not futures they could shoot themselves in a foot maybe - maybe not.. i am not so sure they are going to get what they want

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Off of memory last year oreilly and ekholm were the two best players moved.. imo within guentzels tier.. neither got a good young nhl player in the packages

I mean if pittsburgh is focusing on players not futures they could shoot themselves in a foot maybe - maybe not.. i am not so sure they are going to get what they want

ROR had 19 points in 40 games and was 31

Ekholm is a middle pairing defenseman.

Jake Guentzel is a top 10 LW over the last two years with extreme playoff success.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
Hossa really is the best comparable.

1rst + top prospect + two young roster players
Dont forget dupuis going back

Esposito was a talented wildcard (like shane wright now) - christiansen but boom bust

From memory i dont recall esposito as a top prospect

ROR had 19 points in 40 games and was 31

Ekholm is a middle pairing defenseman.

Jake Guentzel is a top 10 LW over the last two years with extreme playoff success.
Personally i try not make too many tiers when i look at players or it can get confusing. These three are all very good players that are impact top half of roster players

Reactions: Darren McCord
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad