Grub's Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Training Camp Begins

Hooz

Oct 25, 2017
Anybody know how the BC boy John Ludvig played for the Pens last year? I remember he had some supporters around here a year ago

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Maybe my wording is off, low impact perhaps is better. Which is often a good result for a 4th liner. He did hit a tonne, and played fast but his hits didn't do a heck of a lot either. He wasn't an overly hard hitter like a Raffi Torres, Kostin, Sherwood, Clutterbuck, etc. He did chip in some timely goals for sure. He's also going into year 11 compared to Aman's 2nd.

Don't get me wrong I loved me some Motte. Point is he wasn't and isn't some incredible top notch 4th liner. Aman is also a very good PKer. Not saying Motte was bad but at the end of the day he was overall somewhat effective, much like Aman. Nils doesn't hit much but his choice of coverage angles and speed accomplishes much of the same. The puck staying out of our net.

Motte wasn't a feared player but his hits aren't the rub a player off the puck either. I think your impression or memory differs from many here. Motte was paid like a 4th line player, at his best played like a 3rd line player, but mostly played on the team's 4th line. He's kind of like Hansen. Hansen was nothing special when playing a top 6 role but he was very good in a 3rd line role.

We can disagree on effectiveness but I think we can agree that the play style is different. Motte plays a style that helps him stay in the league. Aman doesn't. Motte also has had some notable playoff performances. Aman hasn't. What Aman is "better" at is that he can play C and he is bigger. But the value of that is lessened by the fact that Aman hasn't managed to be decent at faceoffs and he doesn't use his size.

Also the Motte at the start of his canucks tenure was more at the level of Matthew Highmore but by then end of it was a 3rd line level player (who couldn't stay healthy).
Motte had also just turned 22 at the start of his Canucks tenure and in his 2nd pro season.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
I have a serious question

Where did Nils Aman come from?

Like tbh, I know he joined the team around 2023 but I basically checked out during the 22-23 season.

Came back at the beginning of 23-24 and all of a sudden there’s this Swedish 4th liner who came out of nowhere

He wasn’t bad but was so unnoticeable most of the nights that I often forgot he’s on the team

Sexy Necksy Garland

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021

Like tbh, I know he joined the team around 2023 but I basically checked out during the 22-23 season.

Came back at the beginning of 23-24 and all of a sudden there’s this Swedish 4th liner who came out of nowhere

He wasn’t bad but was so unnoticeable most of the nights that I often forgot he’s on the team
Unsigned Avalanche draft pick we picked up for nothing.

Reactions: Billy Kvcmu

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007

He's from Sweden.

• Wow
Reactions: Billy Kvcmu

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
i will bet that the bruins would happily pay swayman his ask if not for the universal risks of goalies. since the price and bobrovsky deals i think the league has built in a huge discount for goalies on long term deals relative to their value to the team.

goaltending is one position where an exception for performance bonuses could be made so they can earn more. they are a huge risk on consistency and longevity so teams will pay them less than their value to the team to hedge that risk.
Goalies are almost like relief pitchers in baseball. Besides the odd few you get both ends of the spectrum from season to season.

Reactions: Nick Lang

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
what if van aquired swayman. trade demko give his uncertainty with his future/injuries.
Then Vancouver would be faced with paying Swayman, whose reported ask is considerably higher than Vancouver is now paying for Demko, Lankinen, Silovs and Tolopilo combined.

Vancouver_2010

Canucks and Oilers fan
Jun 21, 2006
Wingers take a long time to develop. We won't know what kind of player he really is for a few more years.
I know its too late now, but i dont see why not a PTO for him to play for us? He did score 13 goals last season playing for the sharks, the worst team in the nhl.

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
Motte wasn't a feared player but his hits aren't the rub a player off the puck either. I think your impression or memory differs from many here. Motte was paid like a 4th line player, at his best played like a 3rd line player, but mostly played on the team's 4th line. He's kind of like Hansen. Hansen was nothing special when playing a top 6 role but he was very good in a 3rd line role.

We can disagree on effectiveness but I think we can agree that the play style is different. Motte plays a style that helps him stay in the league. Aman doesn't. Motte also has had some notable playoff performances. Aman hasn't. What Aman is "better" at is that he can play C and he is bigger. But the value of that is lessened by the fact that Aman hasn't managed to be decent at faceoffs and he doesn't use his size.

Motte had also just turned 22 at the start of his Canucks tenure and in his 2nd pro season.

Yeah I'm willing to admit that as a couple people have replied likewise. However I still think people are a little misguided/romanticize what Motte actually provided. As someone mentioned he actually displayed effort during a time where we sucked big time, which made people appreciate him a little extra. He gave us third line minutes because our team was absolutely horrible. Sorry, he's not a third liner on any good team, except for maybe a brief flash in the pan. Other than that he's good for maybe 14 points a season (only topped 10 points twice). If he's on your third line your team absolutely blows. No where close to Jannick Hansen, not even the same ballpark.

1728144847221.png

1728147980559.png

Being that he helped us achieve exactly nothing during his time here I would say 4th liners who do that are pretty much a dime a dozen. While Aman hasn't set the world on fire I think it's a little foolhardy to think he can't achieve a Motte level of success or better. I also wouldn't say his play style won't allow him to stay in the league either as so far it has done just that. In that regard I'm glad the powers that run our team aren't so quick to pass judgement.

Not sure why some people are in such a hurry to write him off. Impatience I would guess. Citing his lack of playoff performance just highlights the shortsighted bias. Last year was only his second in the league, and we had one of the worst teams in history his first year. Motte's face-off stats are also pretty underwhelming. Aman took more face-offs in one year than Motte in 8 and has better stats in comparison his first two years.

I have to chuckle to myself as I'm not some huge Aman fan or anything but I guess I'm just defending basic hockey knowledge. I would say replace him if we can find better but until then bitching about a midline #5 center is somewhat absurd imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad