The state of the Habs Rebuild - The Next step

What note you give to Kent Hughes' Rebuild? ?

• A

Votes: 198 58.2%
  • B

Votes: 118 34.7%
  • C

Votes: 24 7.1%
  • D

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • E

• F

• Total voters

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Reinbacher is cooked until further notice. If he makes it, it’ll be a bonus. You can’t expect to rely on a player who has missed significant time in his most important development years.

No blame, no fault — these things happen.

We need to hold onto Mailloux and hope for the best for him and Reinbacher.

HuGort

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Reinbacher is cooked until further notice. If he makes it, it’ll be a bonus. You can’t expect to rely on a player who has missed significant time in his most important development years.

You're too harsh on Reinbacher. His development is pushed back a year but he is not cooked. Obviously He wasn't ready this camp before injury, I'm expecting he makes NHL sometime next season but '26-27 before we get anything high end out of Reinbacher. Don't exaggerate.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
You're too harsh on Reinbacher. His development is pushed back a year but he is not cooked. Obviously He wasn't ready this camp before injury, I'm expecting he makes NHL sometime next season but '26-27 before we get anything high end out of Reinbacher. Don't exaggerate.
It’s not Reinbacher’s fault, it’s the circumstances. I have no criticism of Reinbacher at all.

A bad D+1 and a terrible D+2 is hard to overcome. If he does pull through, we should view it as a massive bonus and not as an expectation.

The Habs need to pursue or evaluate other RD options. Maybe even draft one high next summer.

Reinbacher cannot be pegged in as a future core player, not after this latest injury robbed him of a whole playing season. It’s the exact same concern as when some people expressed doubt about Dach’s long term viability. One more big injury to either of them and you have to re-balance the portfolio.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
It’s not Reinbacher’s fault, it’s the circumstances. I have no criticism of Reinbacher at all.

A bad D+1 and a terrible D+2 is hard to overcome. If he does pull through, we should view it as a massive bonus and not as an expectation.

The Habs need to pursue or evaluate other RD options. Maybe even draft one high next summer.

Reinbacher cannot be pegged in as a future core player, not after this latest injury robbed him of a whole playing season. It’s the exact same concern as when some people expressed doubt about Dach’s long term viability. One more big injury to either of them and you have to re-balance the portfolio.
You could be right, but I think you are way out in front of the situation.
DR will have challenges at this point, but he will still be a big part of the habs future.

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
He needs next year to get back to where he was as an 18 year old. Kid will need lots of time. I don’t think it’s a fail for him if he makes the nhl at all, and as a 23-25 year old; anything faster would be very good. Below expectations for a 5oa, but that changes nothing to the actual player.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
DR will have challenges at this point, but he will still be a big part of the habs future.
Since he will have challenges (staying healthy, catching up with the NA game after so much time off, playing without fear, etc) that means he could fall short of the challenges, or suffer another injury to his now injury-prone lower body, so you can't peg him as a big part of the Habs' future. A bird in hand is worth two in bush // don't count chickens before they hatch. etc.

Some did yes, you're right, but now that group is growing because some of the ones who didn't are doubting he'll play.

I mean he's out for an entire season here. That can't be a good thing for a dman to miss an entire year of development when you haven't gotten used to the speed in the NHL yet.

If I was a GM out of town, I'm not sure I still want to trade for him.
Losing one entire playing season is only part of the problem.

Losing one entire development season is the larger part of the problem.

Assuming the surgery was perfect, the rehab is perfect, the fitness and mentality of player remains high, and the long-term strength of the injured part is perfect... he will still need to adapt to NHL hockey and likely will start next year ('25-'26) in the AHL. The Habs can't peg him to start in the NHL in 2025 because there is no way it is fair to the roster to start the season relying on such an unknown in (what should finally be) a competitive season nor is it fair to the player to deprive him of massive development-playing time he needs.

That means he will have to catch up to AHL speeds in 2025-2026 and if all goes well carve out some minutes on the (hopefully) competitive 2025-2026 Habs NHL roster. Hopefully he forces the Habs' hand and performs superbly so when he gets the call next season he will do it as a top6 player. Otherwise, over the training camp for the 26-27 season, he would have to make a campaign to get a 6 or 7th D-role -- the Habs, if well run, would have signed and prepared a competitive roster and d-corps for that season.

See how it permutates? It's not very good.

Last edited:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

19 years old.

Yep, he’s done. Guess it’s time to close the thread…

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Rehabs still has bruises from his last years assault on Slaf !! lol
This year, if DR...............pretty premature to write off a 19 year old dman..........but anyhow.....
Impatience is understandable, especially for a fan base with the awful track record of developing top prospects that we've had over the past few decades.

But premature is a far too generous description of these type of hot takes. They are outright absurd.

Sport injuries are the norm for young athletes these days. Career altering ones certainly do occur, but at this point there is no indication that DR is dealing with one that will cap his athletic development potential.

DR, like Slaf after his injury shortened first season, shows signs in his game and in his off ice demeanor of a prospect with a huge ceiling. Not everyone gets athlete development, so it's understandable that fear and pessimism sets in without the gratification of the stat line looking pretty. Is what it is.

DR, like Dach, will need to show strong mental toughness and commitment to his career (which he has this far) to make ge most of this setback... And like any player in a contact sport, will need some better luck on the bodily health front.... But like Slaf, all it will take is one solid 1/2 season stretch for all the Debbie downers to drop their umbrellas and pick up their pom poms. Great thing about our current situation is that the Habs are stockpiling the cupboards with high ceiling prospects AND building a best in class development program... Over the next few years we'll start to see the big payoffs.

Future is bright 😎

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Rehabs still has bruises from his last years assault on Slaf !! lol
This year, it's DR...............pretty premature to write off a 19 year old dman..........but anyhow.....
It's got nothing to do with Slafkovsky or my comments about Slaf's development plan. The fact is Reinbacher is missing a whole year of play, I think it affects the rebuild since we will be trying to compete while he's not yet even in the NHL. No one is writing off his career, it's more about the Habs rebuild and the pieces we need to bank on.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
It's got nothing to do with Slafkovsky or my comments about Slaf's development plan. The fact is Reinbacher is missing a whole year of play, I think it affects the rebuild since we will be trying to compete while he's not yet even in the NHL. No one is writing off his career, it's more about the Habs rebuild and the pieces we need to bank on.

Shifting goal posts much lol

"Trying to compete"?

So Demidov being in KHL & Hage being in NCAA this year "affects the rebuild"?

DR is out 5-6 months. By next fall he may well be on the roster on opening night, and like Slaf or Dach who missed considerable time in their first two post draft years, ready to contribute.

This false narrative that his injury is a dooming factor in his development or ability to become a key piece of the roster when the Habs start pushing into contention is simply not grounded on anything beyond reactivity & impatience... Much like the Slaf threads and hot takes last year.

The rebuild is well on track. Chill out and enjoy the ride!

Future is bright 😎

Reactions: BLONG7

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Compete for what?

Seriously, I didn’t even think this guy was going to start the year with us. It changes absolutely nothing from that perspective.

Nobody has us in the playoffs so what are you talking about?

Reactions: Miller Time

Habs

I've almost had enough of you kids
Feb 28, 2002

Good god, get ready for the Reinbacher Love Club to come after you. He's the next Serge Savard , don't you know this?

Reactions: ReHabs

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Good god, get ready for the Reinbacher Love Club to come after you. He's the next Serge Savard , don't you know this?
Whatever he is, a major knee injury taking away a prime development year isn’t good for him. But that is a separate issue.

My point is: as it pertains to the Habs, we have to de-rank him in our depth charts (so as to expect less from him) and that means we likely have to try to get a top2D-worthy RD now to hedge our bets.

If the RLC want to come after me for what is a logical and rational conclusion… they’re welcome to try but they’re not going to convince anyone that the Habs shouldn’t plan for the future where Reinbacher falls short of expectations. After an ACL in his D+2? No way, it’s just foolish to not consider the possibility of him having problems afterward.

Habs

I've almost had enough of you kids
Feb 28, 2002
Whatever he is, a major knee injury taking away a prime development year isn’t good for him. But that is a separate issue.

My point is: as it pertains to the Habs, we have to de-rank him in our depth charts (so as to expect less from him) and that means we likely have to try to get a top2D-worthy RD now to hedge our bets.

If the RLC want to come after me for what is a logical and rational conclusion… they’re welcome to try but they’re not going to convince anyone that the Habs shouldn’t plan for the future where Reinbacher falls short of expectations. After an ACL in his D+2? No way, it’s just foolish to not consider the possibility of him having problems afterward.

At least Dr Mulder isn't overseeing his rehabilitation...
I'm not sure about the Knee injury and the success of recover, must be decent this day and age?

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
At least Dr Mulder isn't overseeing his rehabilitation...
I'm not sure about the Knee injury and the success of recover, must be decent this day and age?
I think he will have 100% success in all aspects: surgery, rehab, postoperative care, coaching, morale, etc.

100%. Nothing will go wrong.

But he’s still missing a whole season of development.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Trying to explain and better elaborate my impression. Your hostility is inexplicable and not very interesting.
:cry:

I don't nt think there's anything hostile about pointing out poor takes. What's truly inexplicable is sticking to an approach to assessing prospects that is quite clearly unsound, year over year. Not very interesting, grant it.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
It is precisely this kind of either/or mentality in assessing prospects that I would categorize as a "bad take".

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
It's this type of specious reasoning that is "inexplicable".

Conflating assumptions with "logical and rational conclusions" is what's foolish.

The Habs should and will continue to "plan for the future " regardless of what happens to any one prospect or player... What's with the strawman?

Building prospect and pick depth, implementing an excellent development program, building a culture of excellence, treating players well (including departing ones).... is exactly what KH & co have been doing since day one.

There isn't any one prospect that will compel them to stop, or start, building depth. Every single player is one bad hit away from career altering injury, that's as true for established vets as it is for prospects.

The entire premise of this argument is unsound.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad