Grub's Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | The Boys of Summer

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
12 min mark Irfaan starts to speak about what they could do, but then gets into a specific RFA target not named Necas:

Edit: Another consideration may be Oliver Wahlstrom.

He's been doing this for weeks. It's absolutely useless, though. If he won't say who it is, then there's nothing there. He also gives a time frame of either at training camp or a couple of months into the season. Really though, I don't trust Irf. He's so confident and is just plain wrong so often.

That said, here are the RFA forwards. Let's assuming he means it's a more impactful forward and not someone like Connor Dewar. I've included their AFP projected contracts below.

Cole SillingerBlue JacketsC212y/2.241m
Matthew BeniersKrakenC217y/6.660m
Kent JohnsonBlue JacketsLW/C212y/1.653m10.2(c)
Cole PerfettiJetsLW/C227y/5.584m
Kirill MarchenkoBlue JacketsRW236y/5.250mFiled
Seth JarvisHurricanesRW227y/7.925m
Dawson MercerDevilsRW/C226y/6.521m
Lucas RaymondRed WingsW227y/7.758m

There's also several less impactful options:

Juuso ParssinenPredatorsC232y/0.998m
Joseph VelenoRed WingsC242y/1.983mFiled
Connor DewarMaple LeafsC/LW252y/1.423mFiled
Beck MalenstynSabresC/LW262y/1.528mFiled
Peyton KrebsSabresC/LW232y/1.783m
Thomas BordeleauSharksC/LW221y/0.874m10.2(c)/QO
Dylan HollowayOilersLW/C221y/1.009m
Oliver WahlstromIslandersRW241y/0.918mFiled
Arthur KaliyevKingsW232y/1.613m
Nicholas RobertsonMaple LeafsW222y/1.380m
Philip TomasinoPredatorsW222y/1.796m
Jonatan BerggrenRed WingsW231y/0.874mQO

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Because the Canucks want the shooter and the play driving is secondary to that concern.

Based upon what you've said, their interest in another RFA would also be considered bizarre. It would indicate they have plans to move Poolmam's salary and not stand pat, the opposite of what you have projected.

That Silovs left them $165k in cap could be mere coincidence. Unlikely, but it's possible.

NJ can bank cap with Mercer, you're right, but they can bank significantly more without him, and he had a down season last year.

This RFA forward rumour and their earlier interest in Dach, their intent to re-sign Lindholm at cost etc... has me thinking he could be a viable target for them.
Are there reports the Canucks want to move a "playdriver" for a "shooter"? Are any of these RFA-interest rumours legit? Most of the free agency acquisitions the Canucks made July 1, they were not really connected to in the rumour mill (perhaps maybe Heinen aside). Is Irf considered an insider now? Why do you think the "target" is Mercer out of all the RFAs @Vector listed? Maybe manufacturing a rumour is just to create some dog days of summer content.

How is leaving $165K in cap space somehow a huge tell they're looking into a significant addition right now? How is it an indication they want to move Poolman?

They filled out their forward group with more bottom-nine forwards and supposedly the immediate priority...is another one?

All of these reasons you provided are just huge reaches.

Last edited:
Reactions: andora

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
He's been doing this for weeks. It's absolutely useless, though. If he won't say who it is, then there's nothing there. He also gives a time frame of either at training camp or a couple of months into the season. Really though, I don't trust Irf. He's so confident and is just plain wrong so often.

That said, here are the RFA forwards. Let's assuming he means it's a more impactful forward and not someone like Connor Dewar. I've included their AFP projected contracts below.

I don't think the teams in the first group are in cap trouble, and not like the Canucks have cap space anyways. So, unless that team wants to do a deal with what Van has to offer, I just don't see it. And really most of those clubs are younger than Van and the Nucks don't have anything that would really make sense for them.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I don't think the teams in the first group are in cap trouble, and not like the Canucks have cap space anyways. So, unless that team wants to do a deal with what Van has to offer, I just don't see it. And really most of those clubs are younger than Van and the Nucks don't have anything that would really make sense for them.

I was writing something up around those lines. The only guys from the first section that maybe are available is the Columbus trio and Perfetti. Perfetti is purely my speculation, the general weirdness around his playing time there, and how some players don't seem to want to stick around Winnipeg. Columbus, there's been substantial discord there and still don't have a coach. Johnson and Sillinger have had their development messed with pretty harshly. Marchenko wants a long-term deal but Waddell doesn't want to and latest reports are Marchenko now wants to go to arbitration.

Even then, there's no real incentive for them to make any trades. What the Canucks have to offer (draft picks, Hoglander, and Podkozlin) are not particularly appealing for a young RFA unless someone in the other organization is weirdly obsessed with them.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
I wonder about Sillinger/Johnson. Columbus pretty much has their top 3 C’s set for the future in Fantilli/Lindstrom/Monahan/Jenner and need some scoring on the wings.

I don’t think they’d be willing to move Johnson as he likely converts to wing full time if he hasn’t already (despite his desire to play center). So that leaves Sillinger. IMO, something around Hoglander + Suter and a 2nd for Sillinger and Danforth might make sense if Columbus wants a cheap middle 6 option. Hoglander would certainly be an improvement to their winger group that features Kuraly, Danforth, Olivier etc. they also currently have 19/23 roster spots (Johnson/Sillinger/Marchenko) left to sign so there’s clearly a fit for Hoglander there.

Columbus has a boatload of natural centers playing wing already (Chinakov, Voronkov, Kuraly) and with Monahan there for another 5 years, I don’t really see a natural room for progression for Sillinger.

Sillinger would fit perfectly as a 3C.

Reactions: DekeyPete

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Are there reports the Canucks want to move a "playdriver" for a "shooter"? Are any of these RFA-interest rumours legit? Most of the free agency acquisitions the Canucks made July 1, they were not really connected to in the rumour mill (perhaps maybe Heinen aside). Is Irf considered an insider now? Why do you think the "target" is Mercer out of all the RFAs @Vector listed?

How is leaving $165K in cap space somehow a huge tell they're looking into a significant addition right now? How is it an indication they want to move Poolman?

They filled out their forward group with more bottom-nine forwards and supposedly the immediate priority...is another one?

All of these reasons you provided are just huge reaches.

Did you watch the CA video I had posted? If not, do so. The RFA forward target rumour is coming from them (Irfaan, and I'm trying to find Sat Shah's corroboration right now). Will this then satisfy, or is more required?

Silovs coming in under the cap with Poolman's salary only makes it easier to negotiate Poolman's exit with another team. That team now knows that the Canucks are compliant even with Poolman on the books.

It's a little surprising to me that you would be arguing for Mercer while Hoglander is the better driver (you seem to favour possession players), is likely 1/3rd the cap, and is effectively a bottom9 forward like Mercer? I expected the opposite, but I understand it's more about the Canucks making another move at all in the offseason.

Fine to not trust Irfaan alone. I'm trying to find Shah's corroborating information.

I don't think they will go long-term on any RFA, too much cap. This is why Mercer getting a bridge deal and not having arb rights fits. He should be $4m~ AAV on the high end.

Edit: Perfetti could be an option, I'm not sure Arniel gets the best out of him.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I wouldn’t trade Hog straight up for Sillinger personally. Kent Johnson tho

• Wow
Reactions: MS

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Basically all the insiders have reported one of the team’s top “wish items” (if not the top, I don’t think they’re as worried about the defense as the pundits) is another right-shot forward. So yes, I assume they’re looking for a way to add one.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Did you watch the CA video I had posted? If not, do so. The RFA forward target rumour is coming from them (Irfaan, and I'm trying to find Sat Shah's corroboration right now). Will this then satisfy, or is more required?

Silovs coming in under the cap with Poolman's salary only makes it easier to negotiate Poolman's exit with another team. That team now knows that the Canucks are compliant even with Poolman on the books.

It's a little surprising to me that you would be arguing for Mercer while Hoglander is the better driver (you seem to favour possession players), is likely 1/3rd the cap, and is effectively a bottom9 forward like Mercer? I expected the opposite, but I understand it's more about the Canucks making another move at all in the offseason.

Fine to not trust Irfaan alone. I'm trying to find Shah's corroborating information.

I don't think they will go long-term on any RFA, too much cap. This is why Mercer getting a bridge deal and not having arb rights fits. He should be $4m~ AAV on the high end.

Edit: Perfetti could be an option, I'm not sure Arniel gets the best out of him.
1. No, I don't think Irf or Sat are really "sources" in any meaningful way. They don't break anything. And in the past year, this management group hasn't really leaked any of their transactions - they've mostly come out of nowhere. Further, this is the vaguest form of a "rumour" one can conjure up. It's literally a nameless player. "Canucks targeting an NHL player" is certainly...something. Like I said, this just screams dog-days-of-summer content because they need something to fill their airtime and get some discussion (success!).

2. Again, this "Silovs deal is the key to moving Poolman" point makes no sense. Even if Silovs was paid more, they would still have been under the cap. I think a lot of people were expecting around ~1M on a 2 year deal, and they still would be compliant. Even if it was more, they could run a 22 man roster for cap compliance. This has no impetus on a Poolman deal.

3. I'm not "arguing" for any side of the trade. It does not make sense for either team. It's not going to happen. Hoglander doesn't do anything for NJ, and the Canucks should keep the cheaper player for this season.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Basically all the insiders have reported one of the team’s top “wish items” (if not the top, I don’t think they’re as worried about the defense as the pundits) is another right-shot forward. So yes, I assume they’re looking for a way to add one.

Here's the breakdown of handedness for the forwards I posted.

Lefty:
Sillinger
Beniers
Johnson
Perfetti

Righty:
Marchenko
Jarvis
Raymond
Mercer

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
charlie-day-meme.jpg

Lefty:
Sillinger - Craig Oster (Podkolzin)
Beniers - Pat Brisson (Pettersson, Hughes, Brisebois, & Wolanin)
Johnson - Pat Brisson (Pettersson, Hughes, Brisebois, & Wolanin)
Perfetti - Cam Stewart (N/A)

Righty:
Marchenko - Milstein (Kudryavtsev & Klimovich)
Jarvis - Gerry Johannson (Soucy & Lekkerimaki)
Raymond - JP Barry (Myers)
Mercer - Pat Brisson (Pettersson, Hughes, Brisebois, & Wolanin)

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Johnson would not last 2 minutes under Tocch.

Sillinger would fit much better but his upside is lower.

I'd still be all over Waddle Waddle to see if you could poach Voronkov given he was pissed at CBJ last year.

Reactions: Vector

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
1. No, I don't think Irf or Sat are really "sources" in any meaningful way. They don't break anything. And in the past year, this management group hasn't really leaked any of their transactions - they've mostly come out of nowhere. Further, this is the vaguest form of a "rumour" one can conjure up. It's literally a nameless player. "Canucks targeting an NHL player" is certainly...something. Like I said, this just screams dog-days-of-summer content because they need something to fill their airtime and get some discussion (success!).

2. Again, this "Silovs deal is the key to moving Poolman" point makes no sense. Even if Silovs was paid more, they would still have been under the cap. I think a lot of people were expecting around ~1M on a 2 year deal, and they still would be compliant. Even if it was more, they could run a 22 man roster for cap compliance. This has no impetus on a Poolman deal.

3. I'm not "arguing" for any side of the trade. It does not make sense for either team. It's not going to happen. Hoglander doesn't do anything for NJ, and the Canucks should keep the cheaper player for this season.

1. This is being dismissive. Management definitely has leaks and the hosts/insiders hear it. Example: Dhaliwal on them drafting Willander (Friedman/Pettersson etc...). Irfaan is careful not to offer up the RFA's name, but Sat does the job for him at the 19 min mark of the July 5th podcast: Dawson Mercer. Canucks Central

2. By last count, they are $165k under with Silovs signed and a 23 man roster. Is this correct? (Reported on Sekeres and Price)

3. Wouldn't it give NJ the better playdriver for cheaper? It may not happen, sure, but the RFA forward target idea has been shared by two hosts and I recall at least one more. Another name bandied about was Phil Tomasino. Again, it's outlandish if you're dead certain the Canucks won't do anything this summer. I just wouldn't be that certain...

Last edited:

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
1. This is being dismissive. Management definitely has leaks and the hosts/insiders hear it. Example 1: Dhaliwal on them drafting Willander (Friedman etc...). Irfaan is careful not to offer up the RFA's name here, but Sat does the job for him at the 19 min mark of the July 5th podcast: Dawson Mercer. Canucks Central

Notes from Sat:
-the only guy I'd keep an eye on over the summer...Dawson Mercer
-not opposed to doing something on the trade market
-Devils would want one their top prospects and Hoglander
-questions whether Mercer is worth that package
-only right-handed centre he's keeping a close eye on

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
i'm not a huge mercer fan but if he can be had for lekkerimaki/willander plus hoglander i think you pull the trigger. where else is a top 6 forward/third line c coming from?

(i'll deny ever having this opinion if they can get ross colton even cheaper)

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
i'm not a huge mercer fan but if he can be had for lekkerimaki/willander plus hoglander i think you pull the trigger. where else is a top 6 forward/third line c coming from?

To fit Mercer into the cap will need more than Hog's $1.1 mill out the door.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Notes from Sat:
-the only guy I'd keep an eye on over the summer...Dawson Mercer
-not opposed to doing something on the trade market
-Devils would want one their top prospects and Hoglander
-questions whether Mercer is worth that package
-only right-handed centre he's keeping a close eye on
Mercer is currently an RFA expecting a fairly significant raise, do I have that right?

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I would trade Hoglander for Sillinger quite easily.
I'm just not a Sillinger fan, but if you like his upside then sure.

I think jackets fans would be okay if he turned into the player Hog is right now

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
God I would trade Lekkerimaki + Hoglander for Mercer in a heartbeat.

Even though Mercer is a worse playdriver than Hoglander?

I think the price difference between the two shouldn't be Lekkerimaki, but then I'm probably higher on Lekkerimaki than most here.

Colton is also at that $4m AAV marker that would fit (what Mercer could get on a high end bridge). He just doesn't have that right shot.

A right shot forward at base to play RW with Pettersson, but ideally a RHC to supplant Suter. Someone to fit the Lindholm archetype (whom, as we know, they tried to re-sign here).

Last edited:

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
To fit Mercer into the cap will need more than Hog's $1.1 mill out the door.

they have nearly 4m if they ltir poolman. i don't see mercer getting much more than that and even if he does they could probably move suter or podkolzin pretty easily

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad