Grub's Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | The Boys of Summer

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I think the Canucks are eyeing Dawson Mercer as a trade target. He's a RHC that is trending to RW, but both scenarios could work for the Canucks.

As a RW, he would solidify the scoring next to Pettersson. His defensive metrics weren't great, but NJ was a mess last year so grain of salt.

It would take Hoglander plus the clearing of Poolman's salary (elsewhere). Or Suter + Poolman's salary + picks. He also probably gets anywhere from $3.36m AAV to about $4.32m on a 2-3 year bridge deal, which fits the money going out.

Mercer gives them centre utility in a pinch, and Boeser insurance just in case.

This would obviously take them out of the running for a #3 Dman addition, unless it's a money-in/money-out scenario later on.

Last edited:
Reactions: Baby Pettersson

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
We probably shouldn’t be in the business of taking other teams’ cap dumps at this point but maybe we’d have interest, depends on pro scouting.

McNabb would also be another defender in the big, physical, but lacking in puck moving abilities style that we already have in abundance. Not the type of player we should be targeting at this stage, IMO.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
i meant from the RFAs Vector listed lol.

There's probably none. Nobody close to as good as Tkachuk on forward and nobody good enough to force their way out of a terrible team that thinks they can still contend.

Nobody from Minnesota, a team that would likely overpay the most for Boeser for off-ice reasons. Nobody I'd want from Carolina, Pittsburgh, and Boston, the teams who lost elite wingers who may want to overpay to continue to compete. Buffalo may be desperate to compete but I'm not particularly excited about Peyton Krebs.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I bet you the Canucks are currently targeting no one. I bet they will go into training camp with their current line up and possibly reassess in Sept or Oct/Nov if need be.

I basically agree with this, with one exception. They do have cap/roster flexibility to add a depth player if they want. I could see them making a low-level signing later in the summer, but it would basically be what they'd view as an upgrade on Juulsen/Friedman or Aman/PDG. IE. Much like they originally signed Joshua to 2x$825k if they can find that type of guy they like.

Reactions: SopelFanThe3rd

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I think the Canucks are eyeing Dawson Mercer as a trade target. He's a RHC that is trending to RW, but both scenarios could work for the Canucks.

As a RW, he would solidify the scoring next to Pettersson. His defensive metrics weren't great, but NJ was a mess last year so grain of salt.

It would take Hoglander plus the clearing of Poolman's salary (elsewhere). Or Suter + Poolman's salary + picks. He also probably gets anywhere from $3.36m AAV to about $4.32m on a 2-3 year bridge deal, which fits the money going out.

Mercer gives them centre utility in a pinch, and Boeser insurance just in case.

This would obviously take them out of the running for a #3 Dman addition, unless it's a money-in/money-out scenario later on.
I....do not think so.

The Canucks roster is largely set. Maybe some tinkering around the edges, but I don't foresee any significant moves before opening day. Plus, whatever flexibility they have left should almost certainly be allocated to the blueline.

Also, what is the incentive for NJ here? Their clear goal is to make the playoffs and go on a run. Why do they want to trade Mercer for something less than an upgrade? What is Hoglander doing for them? And where is Allvin dumping Poolman because evidently he is having a difficult time doing so already? Why would NJ want Poolman's LTIR hit?

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I....do not think so.

The Canucks roster is largely set. Maybe some tinkering around the edges, but I don't foresee any significant moves before opening day. Plus, whatever flexibility they have left should almost certainly be allocated to the blueline.

Also, what is the incentive for NJ here? Their clear goal is to make the playoffs and go on a run. Why do they want to trade Mercer for something less than an upgrade? What is Hoglander doing for them? And where is Allvin dumping Poolman because evidently he is having a difficult time doing so already? Why would NJ want Poolman's LTIR hit?

There has been more than one local reporter now that has indicated they are looking at a RFA forward not named Necas. Irfaan has reiterated this in the latest CA Pod.

The incentive for NJ is getting a better play driver at a much cheaper salary while exchanging the more skilled shooter. This allows them to bank cap for the deadline.

Poolman would be going to another team, not NJ. I think they held onto Poolman to incentivize Silovs to take a cap hit that would fit under the cap. Now that that's settled, I expect them to move Poolman out.

Last edited:

Huggy Bear

Jul 9, 2024
I bet you the Canucks are currently targeting no one. I bet they will go into training camp with their current line up and possibly reassess in Sept or Oct/Nov if need be.
This. Although I could also see management making a move(s) in the week or two leading up to the season opener. They were busy during this time last season with the Pearson-DeSmith trade on September 19th and the Lafferty trade on October 8th.

Reactions: SopelFanThe3rd

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
There has been more than local reporter now that has indicated they are looking at a RFA forward not named Necas. Irfaan has reiterated this in the latest CA Pod.

The incentive for NJ is getting a better play driver at a much cheaper salary while exchanging the more skilled shooter. This allows them to bank cap and go big at the deadline.

Poolman would be going to another team, not NJ. I think they held onto Poolman to incentivize Silovs to take a cap hit that would fit under the cap. Now that that's settled, I expect them to move Poolman out.
NJ will be able to bank cap space even with Mercer signed. Now if Hoglander is a better play driver at a cheaper salary, why are the Canucks trading him for a more expensive player?

Again, it seems like if the Canucks could/wanted Poolman's hit gone, it would've been done. I don't think the crucial factor to Silovs' agent in negotiations was the presence of an LTIRetired contract on the books.

And if the Canucks acquire Mercer, they become capped out and don't have really any flexibility to address the area with the biggest need - defensemen.

It's just frankly a bizarre proposal.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
NJ will be able to bank cap space even with Mercer signed. Now if Hoglander is a better play driver at a cheaper salary, why are the Canucks trading him for a more expensive player?

Because the Canucks want the shooter and the play driving is secondary to that concern.

Again, it seems like if the Canucks could/wanted Poolman's hit gone, it would've been done. I don't think the crucial factor to Silovs' agent in negotiations was the presence of an LTIRetired contract on the books.

And if the Canucks acquire Mercer, they become capped out and don't have really any flexibility to address the area with the biggest need - defensemen.

It's just frankly a bizarre proposal.

Based upon what you've said, their interest in another RFA would also be considered bizarre. It would indicate they have plans to move Poolmam's salary and not stand pat, the opposite of what you have projected.

That Silovs left them $165k in cap could be mere coincidence. Unlikely, but it's possible.

NJ can bank cap with Mercer, you're right, but they can bank significantly more without him, and he had a down season last year.

This RFA forward rumour and their earlier interest in Dach, their intent to re-sign Lindholm at cost etc... has me thinking he could be a viable target for them.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
On spotrac it shows no with $5 mill in cap space on a 22 man roster. 11 f and 9D so that mix has to change. Mercer may end up having to be bridged to fit him in this season.

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
On spotrac it shows no with $5 mill in cap space on a 22 man roster. 11 f and 9D so that mix has to change. Mercer may end up having to be bridged to fit him in this season.
i don't see any scenario where he gets materially more than $3.5MM

Last edited:

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
I....do not think so.

Would be a totally non sensical move. We just signed 3 wingers to play those roles and have 5 better centers on the team ... a hypothetical downgraded Boeser replacement at $4 mil to sit idly by for a year just in case is an utterly horrible decision this management group wouldn't make in a million years. We're trying to improve, not get worse. They would obviously strive higher than Mercer. New Jersey has no use whatsoever in Hoglander. They are going for it now.

Reactions: andora and bossram

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015
Mercer is exactly the type of player you want to bridge. He was terrible last year, after having a good sophomore season. But he still has glaring holes in his game, not very physical, defensive game needs work, and is not good when he plays center. Even if he breaks out I don't see him being more than a $7 million player and what does he wants on a long term contract right now is likely close to that number. The best scenario is you bridge him and he shows he worth a big contract in the longterm.

Reactions: bossram

Huggy Bear

Jul 9, 2024
Brady Tkachuk? Have to imagine the Canucks are adding quite a bit though.
Not saying Ottawa would ever do this, but Boeser + Hoglander + 2025 1st + 2025 2nd would probably be the most the Canucks could offer (we'd need to keep Lekkerimaki to replace one of Boeser/Hoglander and help with the cap crunch). I realize one of Lekkerimaki/WIllander would likely need to be included in any package for Tkachuk, though.

However, this is not too far off the Eichel package. Boeser = 2 years older than Tuch; Hoglander > Krebs; the draft picks are the same. The biggest difference would be that Tuch was signed to a great contract at $4.75 mill x 5 years remaining at the time, but had not proven much offensively compared to Boeser.

Brady Tkachuk and Eichel are actually pretty decent comparables. Both about 25 years old at the time of the trades, Eichel had 5 years left on his contract, Brady has 4 years left (Eichel at $10 mill, Brady at $8.2 mill). Both disgruntled and coming from underperforming, dysfunctional organizations. Eichel's neck surgery and unknown recovery status obviously lowered his value, but he also had put up better offensive stats and plays centre vs. wing.

Tkachuk - Miller - Lekkerimaki
DeBrusk - Pettersson - Heinen
Joshua - Blueger - Garland
Sherwood - Suter - Podkolzin

Last edited:
Reactions: CanuckCity

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Mercer is exactly the type of player you want to bridge. He was terrible last year, after having a good sophomore season. But he still has glaring holes in his game, not very physical, defensive game needs work, and is not good when he plays center. Even if he breaks out I don't see him being more than a $7 million player and what does he wants on a long term contract right now is likely close to that number. The best scenario is you bridge him and he shows he worth a big contract in the longterm.
Anytime your production drops on your elc (final year), unlikely to get term. See that with Beniers this past year as he burned an elc year coming out of Michigan and his production dropped from his rookie year. Teams are going to ask you to show which is the real you.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
12 min mark Irfaan starts to speak about what they could do, but then gets into a specific RFA target not named Necas:

Edit: Another consideration may be Oliver Wahlstrom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad