Grub's Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | The Boys of Summer

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
question, maybe someone on here knows.

But ..since we're essentially capped out at this very moment , then looking on to next-next season, could we just give Poolman's freed up money to Boeser, and the cap increase would then cover the higher buyout cap penalty (OEL).
Assuming no other changes, this would make sense ya?

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
That's a big break for the Caps and the Canes.

It certainly helps. Canes can now bridge Necas, Jarvis, and Drury while getting under the cap. More likely it gives them way more flexibility in a Necas trade.

For the Capitals, it makes it a little complicated. They are now 9.4m over the cap but have 14.95m going on LTIR. If they don't add anyone meaningful to the roster, they'll only be at 1.64m in LTIR space to start the season.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
It certainly helps. Canes can now bridge Necas, Jarvis, and Drury while getting under the cap. More likely it gives them way more flexibility in a Necas trade.

For the Capitals, it makes it a little complicated. They are now 9.4m over the cap but have 14.95m going on LTIR. If they don't add anyone meaningful to the roster, they'll only be at 1.64m in LTIR space to start the season.
Hey, I can think of a way for them to boost that LTIR number ...

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
question, maybe someone on here knows.

But ..since we're essentially capped out at this very moment , then looking on to next-next season, could we just give Poolman's freed up money to Boeser, and the cap increase would then cover the higher buyout cap penalty (OEL).
Assuming no other changes, this would make sense ya?

Let's say the cap rises another 4m for a total of 92m. Canucks have 12.25m in non-minimum contracts coming off the books (Boeser, Suter, Poolman, & Forbort). Hoglander will be RFA and it's way too early to predict his contract. OEL's buyout goes up by 2.42m for next season. Removing near league-minimum contracts (except for Silovs) puts the Canucks at a cap commitment of 87.60m then minus that 12.25m puts them at 75.35m in cap commitments for next season with a 16/23 roster.

16.65m for seven roster spots.

Giving Boeser Poolman's contract would mean a 9.15m contract. That would leave 7.5m for the remaining 6 spots. Some of those would be ELCs and league minimum but there's not enough to improve the roster at all.

SopelFanThe3rd

Cock of the Walk
Oct 25, 2020
Your Mother's House.
I'd rather have 1mil cap space going into the season than sign a 1mil player.

Having even just 1mil cap space and allowing a trading partner team to retain less on a player we are acquiring will put us in an advantage vs those that have no cap space.

I think its time to get comfortable with this lineup until perhaps around November.

Boeser- Miller-Heinen
Sherwood- Pettersson- Debrusk
Garland- Bleuger- Joshua
Podz- Suter-Hoglander

Aman/PDG

Hughes-Hronek
Soucy-Myers
Forbort-Deharnais
Juuslen

Demko
Silovs
Comfortable with every winger playing their offwing eh? lol

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I would much rather give Konecny $10M than give Boeser $7.5M. That is a lot though.
Konecny asking for $10 is like Hronek asking for $8. I don't think he expects anyone to actually give him $10 and it's purely negotiation tactics. The only issue is that I don't think he is even worth 9 so not sure what's the benefit for aiming so damn high.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Konecny for $10 mill sounds a lot like Lindholm's 9million demand to stay in Calgary. "I'm going UFA, I don't want to be here, here's the absurd price it will take for me to stay."

"You want me to play on this team? Fine but it is going to cost you."

• Haha
Reactions: Wisp

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Konecny has the same agent of Bo Horvat - they are cousins - for what it's worth. Would be a similar dynamic there

Soups On

Apr 27, 2012
Eh - pre-arthritic changes is an interesting finding. Someone could have patellofemoral pain syndrome, get no imaging, rehab to full function, and get x ray imaging afterwards only to show pre-arthritic changes but no symptoms. Hopefully it's one of those cases and not legitimate arthritic changes in an early 30 year old athlete

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
For all the weird hand wringing over Silovs not being singed, until he suddenly was, there's a lot of RFAs still hanging around without contracts.

Blue Jackets:
Kent Johnson (10.2(c))
Cole Sillinger
Kirill Marchenko (Filed)

Bruins:
Jeremy Swayman

Canadiens:
Arber Xhekaj
Justin Barron

Devils:
Dawson Mercer

Hurricanes:
Necas (Filed)
Jarvis

Jets:
Perfetti

Kings:
Spence
Kaliyev

Kraken:
Beniers

Oilers:
Broberg
Holloway

Rangers:
Lindgren (Filed)

Red WingsL
Seider
Raymond

Sabres:
Malenstyn (Filed)
Krebs
Luukonen

Stars:
Harley

These are just the important ones.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Rfas are the last to get signed. Especially those who did not have arbitration rights. Teams do not fear OS. If you give an OS then your own rfa when due up will push for top of market since you already paid that to someone else.

That rfa list will slowly dwindle down in the coming weeks.

Anaheim historically pressed their kids hard if they had not earned a big second contract. Aim to get that 3rd year at a good number. So teams could be taking that approach.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
For all the weird hand wringing over Silovs not being singed, until he suddenly was, there's a lot of RFAs still hanging around without contracts.

Blue Jackets:
Kent Johnson (10.2(c))
Cole Sillinger
Kirill Marchenko (Filed)

Bruins:
Jeremy Swayman

Canadiens:
Arber Xhekaj
Justin Barron

Devils:
Dawson Mercer

Hurricanes:
Necas (Filed)
Jarvis

Jets:
Perfetti

Kings:
Spence
Kaliyev

Kraken:
Beniers

Oilers:
Broberg
Holloway

Rangers:
Lindgren (Filed)

Red WingsL
Seider
Raymond

Sabres:
Malenstyn (Filed)
Krebs
Luukonen

Stars:
Harley

These are just the important ones.
okay what's our favourite 'Tkachuk for Huberdeau' trade analogue here with using Boeser as Huberdeau? lol

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
Read the parent posts.
It doesn’t explain why a contending team like Vegas would acquire LTIR’d cap. It does nothing for them unless they’re sending active cap back, which the Canucks wouldn’t want.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Konecny asking for $10 is like Hronek asking for $8. I don't think he expects anyone to actually give him $10 and it's purely negotiation tactics. The only issue is that I don't think he is even worth 9 so not sure what's the benefit for aiming so damn high.
Signing any free agent to a $10m extension with term, is a disaster in the making. It's a mistake I don't think Allvin and Rutherford would probably ever make.

The Boeser situation is a conundrum. He's a UFA at the end of next season....at which point he'd be due a big raise on a base salary o $6.5m. I just don't think the Canucks could ever swallow that.

About the only way I see Boeser staying around is if the signed some sort of three-year 'bridge deal' at the same kind of money he's earning now. But why would he and his agent ever agree to this?

The Canuck front office always said they're loathe to let impending UFA's walk away for nothing. It's the reason they dealt Horvat relatively early in his UFA season. And they couldn't have been happy seeing Lindholm and Zadorov leave, with no compensation coming back.

It's for that reason that a long-term future or Boeser in Vancouver just doesn't seem to be in the cards.

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Ehlers last 2 seasons for Winnipeg:

- 1st in GF% (62.07%)
- 1st in CF%
- 1st SF%
- 1st in xGF/60
- 2nd in GF/60 (behind Vilardi)
- 2nd in SCF% (behind Nino)
- 3rd in xGF% (behind Nino and Lowry)
- 4th in high danger chances/60
- 7th in high danger chances %

should be a target next season

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
It doesn’t explain why a contending team like Vegas would acquire LTIR’d cap. It does nothing for them unless they’re sending active cap back, which the Canucks wouldn’t want.
Canuck's wouldn't want a solid roster player like Brayden McNabb? Vegas is shopping him for cap relief.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
I'd rather have 1mil cap space going into the season than sign a 1mil player.

Having even just 1mil cap space and allowing a trading partner team to retain less on a player we are acquiring will put us in an advantage vs those that have no cap space.

I think its time to get comfortable with this lineup until perhaps around November.

Boeser- Miller-Heinen
Sherwood- Pettersson- Debrusk
Garland- Bleuger- Joshua
Podz- Suter-Hoglander

Aman/PDG

Hughes-Hronek
Soucy-Myers
Forbort-Deharnais
Juuslen

Demko
Silovs

I'd be surprised if they run a 22 man roster, other than on paper when the schedule allows it. So I expect there will be 2 extra dmen.

Wouldn't shock me to see a LHS dman added in August or even during training camp. A left handed Friedman at a comparable cap hit to balance the depth a bit.

Decided to look around and see if there was a way to create a trade similar to the Pearson + for DeSmith using Poolman + Podkolzin. I looked at all the teams projected to have capspace to start the season. Then looked at the players in their bottom-6 that are getting squeezed out and a little bit overpaid. Narrowed this down to the Ducks, Flames, Blackhawks, Blue Jackets, Sharks, and Blues. All of the following players are UFAs at the end of these contracts.

NamePositionTeamContract
Brock McGinnLWDucks1y/2.75m
Kevin RooneyCFlames1y/1.3m
Ryan DonatoCBlackhawks1y/2.0m
Mathieu OlivierRWBlue Jackets1y/1.1m
Sean KuralyCBlue Jackets1y/2.5m
Justin DanforthRWBlue Jackets1y/1.1m
Nico SturmCSharks1y/2.0m
Oskar SundqvistCBlues2y/1.5m

Are any of these Cs RHS and + PKers. Short of an additional bona fide top 6 W, that's really the only hole in the forward group and the only bottom 6 addition that makes sense.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I'd be surprised if they run a 22 man roster, other than on paper when the schedule allows it. So I expect there will be 2 extra dmen.

Wouldn't shock me to see a LHS dman added in August or even during training camp. A left handed Friedman at a comparable cap hit to balance the depth a bit.

Are any of these Cs RHS and + PKers. Short of an additional bona fide top 6 W, that's really the only hole in the forward group and the only bottom 6 addition that makes sense.

Oskar Sundqvist is the only right-handed center in this group.

Reactions: alternate

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
Canuck's wouldn't want a solid roster player like Brayden McNabb? Vegas is shopping him for cap relief.
We probably shouldn’t be in the business of taking other teams’ cap dumps at this point but maybe we’d have interest, depends on pro scouting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad