Grub's Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | The Boys of Summer

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
So guessing they have space to sign around a $1M AAV player if they go with a 22-player roster post-Silovs.

I'd rather have 1mil cap space going into the season than sign a 1mil player.

Having even just 1mil cap space and allowing a trading partner team to retain less on a player we are acquiring will put us in an advantage vs those that have no cap space.

I think its time to get comfortable with this lineup until perhaps around November.

Boeser- Miller-Heinen
Sherwood- Pettersson- Debrusk
Garland- Bleuger- Joshua
Podz- Suter-Hoglander

Aman/PDG

Hughes-Hronek
Soucy-Myers
Forbort-Deharnais
Juuslen

Demko
Silovs

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
If you waive one of Friedman/Juulsen and go with PDG instead of Aman that would get them to 0.985m under the cap.

Yes, plus if you're bringing in an extra body it would probably be to replace one of those guys on the depth chart anyways.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
If you waive one of Friedman/Juulsen and go with PDG instead of Aman that would get them to 0.985m under the cap.
It'd be so useful to move Poolman's contract... But hard to see it being done before the season starts when teams are already compliant and can just flip him onto LTIR.

Wonder where players start getting identified for PTOs too.

Reactions: Lindgren

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Poolman is due $3 mill in cash. I believe typically insurance will cover 80%, so a team would have to pay $600K for no value out of it. So, if you are cap compliant, there is no reason to take on the contract unless there is something that comes with it to make it worth it.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Decided to look around and see if there was a way to create a trade similar to the Pearson + for DeSmith using Poolman + Podkolzin. I looked at all the teams projected to have capspace to start the season. Then looked at the players in their bottom-6 that are getting squeezed out and a little bit overpaid. Narrowed this down to the Ducks, Flames, Blackhawks, Blue Jackets, Sharks, and Blues. All of the following players are UFAs at the end of these contracts.

NamePositionTeamContract
Brock McGinnLWDucks1y/2.75m
Kevin RooneyCFlames1y/1.3m
Ryan DonatoCBlackhawks1y/2.0m
Mathieu OlivierRWBlue Jackets1y/1.1m
Sean KuralyCBlue Jackets1y/2.5m
Justin DanforthRWBlue Jackets1y/1.1m
Nico SturmCSharks1y/2.0m
Oskar SundqvistCBlues2y/1.5m

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Poolman is due $3 mill in cash. I believe typically insurance will cover 80%, so a team would have to pay $600K for no value out of it. So, if you are cap compliant, there is no reason to take on the contract unless there is something that comes with it to make it worth it.
If I had to predict what happens with Poolman, a contending team takes on his contract in a transaction where they're moving out salary in-season.

Something against the cap out (useful roster player for the Canucks) > something not against the cap in (Poolman)

Reactions: Peen

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
If I had to predict what happens with Poolman, a contending team takes on his contract in a transaction where they're moving out salary in-season.

Something against the cap out (useful roster player for the Canucks) > something not against the cap in (Poolman)

Are you saying a contending team would acquire Poolman then place him on LTIR?

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Are you saying a contending team would acquire Poolman then place him on LTIR?
Yes.

For example, Teams like Vegas and Washington for example, who are already in LTIR (with Lehner and Backstrom respectively).

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003

Well, Allvin has been trying to move Poolman for a while, I doubt anything has changed on that file. Not a lot will change on the market price between now and camp, so something would have to incentivize them to pay the cost when they haven’t thus far.

I think it’s more likely they end up dipping into LTIR then moving him at this point.

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
Forbort and Soucy have a history of injuries. If were going to get another D man, or another Puck moving Dman it will almost certainly be a Left Shot/ Left Side Dman. We also have Right Shots in Juulsen and Friendman on reserves that can come in when needed. We need an LD.

Kylington would be nice imo.

If someone like Bains or Raty can step up in the pre-season and show they are ready, then id 100% look at trading Hoglander for a young LD with similar value.
I think Wolanin would be fine on a short term fill-in for any injuries. He is more of a puck-moving D, which is what the bottom 4D is lacking, so he brings a much needed dimension. If Forbort is really bad for some reason, we can send him down and replace him with Wolanin and it shouldn't cost us any additional cap space. I don't think management has any intention of acquiring another D until mid-season or closer to the TDL.

Reactions: Lindgren

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011

Kuznetsov looked like a generational talent in the spring of 2018. I remember thinking the Caps were set at the 1C role for 5-6 years. His career completely cratered after that thanks to the drugs (his 21-22 point totals were propped up due to Ovie).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad