Grub's Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | The Boys of Summer

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Very curious what the price would be for Askarov in Nashville as he maybe asking out of Nashville w/ Saros signing the 8 year extension.

Goalies tend to not have the best value but he might be a nice player to have in the system
I don't see the point of trying to get out of Nash right now for Askarov. He won't be there long term, but he's 22 and hasn't earned the full time backup role in the NHL yet. Secure that role first and then look to move on. Nashville has a good track record of developing goalies as they've gone, via their existence from Dunham, Vokoun, Rinne, Sarros with the Hutton, Mason and others in that mix as well.

So, get your development in. His elc expires in 2025. Go and seek an OS at that point if that is the play from the Agent.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
The Canes are probably clearing the decks on what could soon be a whopping contract for Necas. His arbitration hearing is in 10- days or so, and it could be a big salary cap bite, based on his production last season.

It'll be interesting to see if Carolina is still interested in dealing him, or whether they accept the arbitrator's ruling and bring him back for a season or two.
Necas was only slightly more productive than Connor Garland. He doesn't actually have a strong arbitration case, it's just a mechanism to get traded or walk him towards UFA.

Reactions: andora

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
As many Canuck puck-watchers know, the roster is still down at least one mobile, puck-moving d-man. And there's precious little out there on the UFA scrap pile, other than maybe Oliver Kylington, Justin Shultz or Tyson Barrie. And I'm not sure any of those guys would make any sense.

What say you? Will the Canucks add a puck mover either by trade or free agency before training camp? Or will the hope that a guy like Cole McWard can fill, while they wait for Tom Wilander?

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
As many Canuck puck-watchers know, the roster is still down at least one mobile, puck-moving d-man. And there's precious little out there on the UFA scrap pile, other than maybe Oliver Kylington, Justin Shultz or Tyson Barrie. And I'm not sure any of those guys would make any sense.

What say you? Will the Canucks add a puck mover either by trade or free agency before training camp? Or will the hope that a guy like Cole McWard can fill, while they wait for Tom Wilander?

They are using their CAP space to find a top 4 dman at the trade deadline, barring some significant injuries or developments with our forward group.

Don't know what Vegas intends to do with Theodore but my hope is they have a down season and decide to sell Shea Theodore. That's a long shot, though. I think they are eyeing up Marner.

Reactions: sting101

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I mean you just need to look at when they made deals last season. They will start the season as is, accrue deadline cap space, then bolster the blue at some time before the deadline. At the start of the season all but a few teams will be hoping to contend for a playoff spot, and as teams fall off that's where the opportunities to boost your team come.

In my opinion I think we're only looking at 1 year rentals this season. Acquiring a long term guy like Sanheim would very likely hinder us from resigning Boeser, and I think anyone who says we need to ditch him are nuts. We're kind of locked in for the next few seasons and the big factor on how we can get better simply relies on how well guys like Lekkerimaki/Willander/Pettersson can contribute on ELC's.

If this past season didn't highlight the importance of Boeser to the Canucks, nothing will. His talent set him apart from the majority of the roster, and his play with Miller now makes him indispensable. The contract is the question, obviously, but not the need for this type of player.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
If this past season didn't highlight the importance of Boeser to the Canucks, nothing will. His talent set him apart from the majority of the roster, and his play with Miller now makes him indispensable. The contract is the question, obviously, but not the need for this type of player.
What a crock of bull. I will agree that the playoffs were the BEST he has ever played.
But talent set him apart?
He is the slowest player, forward, in the league.
I didn't see him splitting the defence in the easy season.
I can count the number of breakaways on one hand.
Just about half his goals came in 9 games.

The way he plays he is a leech on Miller, sucking his energy dry.

The only thing that made him stand out if that can said was Tocchet's inability to stomach Russians.
Boeser just dazzled the masses with his PK prowess, big hits, truculence and dynamic stick handling.

IF 40 goals made him indispensable what about 39 goals? The team didn't seem to think they needed that.
With Miller, but after getting rid of the other 40 goal scorer the team is now DESPERATE to find that replacement for Pettersson.

They had Pettersson's line mate, Kuzmenko and they got rid of him.
They now need another puck moving defenceman, they already had that too and got rid of Zadorov and now are searching the bottom of the barrel for a replacement.

They are searching for speed up front, but they already had that with a recovering Mikheyev (ok the contract but also an injury) and replaced him with smaller, slower players at almost the same cost.

They now have big cap issues, again. They have a very shallow depth pool of prospects, they have fewer draft picks.

Now it appears they have GM's that don't know what they are doing. But out OEL for one year's relief at the cost of 8 years of pain, a player with Tocchet issues in the past. Sign Kuzmenko, then spend a fortune to get rid of him, Tocchet's doghouse, get rid of Mikheyev a player that never played with the same players twice in a row all year, (oh that sounds familiar to Kuz) and still recovering from serious knee injury. Then let another Russian go that evidently wanted 275K more than they offered? And after signing 3 replacements are still looking for what they already had.

Top all that off and the team lost chemistry and maybe a little camaraderie in the room. Starting from scratch moving payers around the board.

Now it appears they are counting on the sponsored media to mislead, bury and instruct fans on how to think about this team, just like Benning did.

AND the the team STILL has only TWO core players under 26 yrs old Hughes and Hoglander, EP is 26 in November.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Show us on the doll where the bad man Boeser hurt you.

A leech on Miller? He plays a whole season with Boeser and he's at the century mark again. Couldn't possibly be they're good together no? Nope it's Miller getting those points in spite of Boeser.

And Kuzmenko sucked. He could score but that's it. He refused to even consider playing the other half of two way and will never see ice time like that unless it's for a bottom feeder or a team in garbage time.

There's no conspiracy against Russians. There's no "sponsored media" cover up.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Show us on the doll where the bad man Boeser hurt you.

A leech on Miller? He plays a whole season with Boeser and he's at the century mark again. Couldn't possibly be they're good together no? Nope it's Miller getting those points in spite of Boeser.

And Kuzmenko sucked. He could score but that's it. He refused to even consider playing the other half of two way and will never see ice time like that unless it's for a bottom feeder or a team in garbage time.

There's no conspiracy against Russians. There's no "sponsored media" cover up.
Sucked in his on zone, cr@p. He didn't have any defence issues until he was moved around all over the ice.

Miller ran out of gas in the playoffs while Boeser skated between the dots. BB game didn't pick up until Miller slowed down.

Lindholm was good right? But Kuzmenko ended up with better numbers and didn't cost an extra million +, a first, second and 4th with a AAA prospect and a A prospect.

No sponsored media? Name TWO independent sports reporting shows on mainstream media.

No conspiracy, it out there for all to see and hear.
Tocchet doesn't like Kuz's summer work out, get McIntre to make lots of comments about it, ends up with a "we'll see".
Kuz gone
OEL past history demanding a trade away from Tocchet- bought out at a crazy expense
Mik critiqued by Tocchet many times - gone
Zadorov, supposedly everything Tocchet wants but 275K gets him gone.

Four big contracts, three impact players (OEL ran Florida's PP) four players with Tocchet issues - gone.
Cole benched by Tocchet - gone
That is not a conspiracy, that is what happened.

Did Tocchet EVER mention Boeser's lack of speed? Even when talking about the need for speed forechecking? Or did he just run another forward up onto that line for speed?

Look aver the scoring in the last 30 games, BB is almost invisible with the exception of a few games

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
A goaltender prospect without NHL experience seems like the last thing a contending team with shoestring prospect/draft capital and a short window should be acquiring.

Reactions: Chiripa20

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
The Canes are probably clearing the decks on what could soon be a whopping contract for Necas. His arbitration hearing is in 10- days or so, and it could be a big salary cap bite, based on his production last season.

It'll be interesting to see if Carolina is still interested in dealing him, or whether they accept the arbitrator's ruling and bring him back for a season or two.
I always thought that he would most likely end up back on the canes roster but it will be very interesting if they resign him or it gets to arbitration and it seems like he is asking for more than the Canes value him at.

Reactions: Vector

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I always thought that he would most likely end up back on the canes roster but it will be very interesting if they resign him or it gets to arbitration and it seems like he is asking for more than the Canes value him at.

I also don't see how they fit all three RFAs on their roster given their remaining capspace. Even if they go short term on each, AFP projects them to be over.

Hurricanes Cap Space: 12.6m

Drury - 2.22m
Necas - 6.24m
Jarvis - 6.34m

They also signed a lot of bottom-6 guys to above minimum contracts (Carrier, Lemieux, Martinook, and Robinson) and I don't have them with any defensive depth. Feels like they've backed themselves into a situation where they have to trade Necas just to ice a proper team.

Reactions: Lindgren

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

Maybe they acquire Sam Malinski as an offensive bottom pairing RD?

The 3 guys you mention could also be use full stop gaps if the Canucks pick one of them up.

Either way I think Willander will join them late in the season and be a use full upgrade for a playoff run.

I also think that the Canucks forward group is more well rounded and if the team plays well as a unit then the lack of puck movers on the back end won't be as big of a problem as people think.

Time will tell though.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I also don't see how they fit all three RFAs on their roster given their remaining capspace. Even if they go short term on each, AFP projects them to be over.

Hurricanes Cap Space: 12.6m

Drury - 2.22m
Necas - 6.24m
Jarvis - 6.34m

They also signed a lot of bottom-6 guys to above minimum contracts (Carrier, Lemieux, Martinook, and Robinson) and I don't have them with any defensive depth. Feels like they've backed themselves into a situation where they have to trade Necas just to ice a proper team.
Sure maybe but I just don't think that they will get value for Necas so they will be hesitant to trade him.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003

I still think Schultz or Kylington are interesting options on 1-year deals, not a lot of interest in Barrie, he's a fringe bottom-pair guy at this point who can't really log a regular shift. Schultz is only one year removed from being pretty good for Seattle (risk is age-related decline) and Kylington has flashed top-four upside at times ... mostly when paired with Tanev, funny enough.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Forbort and Soucy have a history of injuries. If were going to get another D man, or another Puck moving Dman it will almost certainly be a Left Shot/ Left Side Dman. We also have Right Shots in Juulsen and Friendman on reserves that can come in when needed. We need an LD.

Kylington would be nice imo.

If someone like Bains or Raty can step up in the pre-season and show they are ready, then id 100% look at trading Hoglander for a young LD with similar value.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
If someone like Bains or Raty can step up in the pre-season and show they are ready, then id 100% look at trading Hoglander for a young LD with similar value.

Building off this, I focused on LD that would fit this criteria. To me, there are about 5 players that will be RFAs and another three that will be UFAs that fit.

RFAs at the end of their contracts:

NamePositionTeamAgeHeightWeightContract
Kevin BahlLDFlames246'6229lbs1y/1.05m
Jordan HarrisLDCanadiens245'11190lbs1y/1.4m
Yegor ZamulaLDFlyers246'3176lbs2y/1.7m
Nick HagueLDGolden Knights256'6240lbs1y/2.29m
Martin FehervaryLDCapitals246'2203lbs2y/2.675m

I don't see Bahl being available given he was one of two pieces they got back from the Devils for Markstrom. Zamula is extremely thin for an NHL player. Harris doesn't really fit the size they want in the bottom-4 defenders. Hague isn't exactly a puck mover. You'd think Fehervary wouldn't be available, and he probably isn't, but is now pushed down to the third pairing with the acquisition of Chychrun.

UFAs at the end of their contracts:

Jeremy LauzonLDPredators276'3225lbs2y/2.0m
Juuso ValimakiLDUtah HC256'2212lbs2y/1.4m
Mario FerraroLDSharks255'11185lbs2y/3.25m

I don't see the Predators moving off from Lauzon but they are so tight up against the cap that even the extra 0.9m would be huge for them. Like Fehervary, Valimaki has been pushed down the depth chart but I don't really see a fit for Hoglander on their roster. Despite being undersized, Ferraro is excellent and would require an additional asset to go along with Hoglander.

Reactions: Lat and Flik

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Building off this, I focused on LD that would fit this criteria. To me, there are about 5 players that will be RFAs and another three that will be UFAs that fit.

RFAs at the end of their contracts:

Kevin BahlLDFlames246'6229lbs1y/1.05m
Jordan HarrisLDCanadiens245'11190lbs1y/1.4m
Yegor ZamulaLDFlyers246'3176lbs2y/1.7m
Nick HagueLDGolden Knights256'6240lbs1y/2.29m
Martin FehervaryLDCapitals246'2203lbs2y/2.675m

I don't see Bahl being available given he was one of two pieces they got back from the Devils for Markstrom. Zamula is extremely thin for an NHL player. Harris doesn't really fit the size they want in the bottom-4 defenders. Hague isn't exactly a puck mover. You'd think Fehervary wouldn't be available, and he probably isn't, but is now pushed down to the third pairing with the acquisition of Chychrun.

UFAs at the end of their contracts:

Jeremy LauzonLDPredators276'3225lbs2y/2.0m
Juuso ValimakiLDUtah HC256'2212lbs2y/1.4m
Mario FerraroLDSharks255'11185lbs2y/3.25m

I don't see the Predators moving off from Lauzon but they are so tight up against the cap that even the extra 0.9m would be huge for them. Like Fehervary, Valimaki has been pushed down the depth chart but I don't really see a fit for Hoglander on their roster. Despite being undersized, Ferraro is excellent and would require an additional asset to go along with Hoglander.

Great list. Ferraro would be so ideal but he is gonna get traded for a kings ransom at the trade deadline. He is super -under rated on the boards but very valued in the NHL. Almost like a mini Dan Hamhuis.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Great list. Ferraro would be so ideal but he is gonna get traded for a kings ransom at the trade deadline. He is super -under rated on the boards but very valued in the NHL. Almost like a mini Dan Hamhuis.

Apparently the Leafs inquired about him during this off-season before free agency and the price was very high.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Apparently the Leafs inquired about him during this off-season before free agency and the price was very high.

He's also young enough that the Sharks can choose to sign him long term to be a top 4 dman core for them if they dont get the high asking price return they are seeking.

I dont think we have the pieces to get him unless we make Lekkerimaki available.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
So guessing they have space to sign around a $1M AAV player if they go with a 22-player roster post-Silovs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad