Grub's Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | The Boys of Summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
So when do you think Canucks are going to start making some moves/trades again?
We still need a Puck moving D, Silovs Signed, and maybe more depth in the top 6

Other than Silovs, we might see something happen around training camp. I really can’t see a move before then.

ameselare

Mar 30, 2024
vancouver
Briere liking this draft isn’t going to change how Torts ices his roster. He’s going to put out the guys he feels he can win with. And play those he wants.
Torts knows this is his final HC stop. So no point in doing things any other way than he’s used to.

Draft position be damned.
Oh that is very true. But their roster still isn't great. Very inexperienced goaltending too - Hart kept them in a lot of games this past season.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Other than Silovs, we might see something happen around training camp. I really can’t see a move before then.
I would imagine it's not until Sept before another move. Maybe someone gets injured during off-season training (either on the Nucks or another club) and there's a move that needs to be made.

Pretty much slim pickings left in UFA market. Most of the vets, like JVR that were former scorers, what else do they offer? Speed, PK, checking, physicality? At their older ages, probably not much. Cause you can always put a skilled kid on the 4th line if you don't need him to PK/check vs a 35 year old vet that doesn't bring much else to the table aside from some scoring.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Does anybody have a list of the best D and top 6 F available?

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I would imagine it's not until Sept before another move. Maybe someone gets injured during off-season training (either on the Nucks or another club) and there's a move that needs to be made.

Pretty much slim pickings left in UFA market. Most of the vets, like JVR that were former scorers, what else do they offer? Speed, PK, checking, physicality? At their older ages, probably not much. Cause you can always put a skilled kid on the 4th line if you don't need him to PK/check vs a 35 year old vet that doesn't bring much else to the table aside from some scoring.

I’d don’t see the Canucks wasting any cap space or roster spots on marginally free agents. Maybe if someone wins a roster spot on a PTO.

But yeah, any moves will probably be dependent on injuries and moves other teams make.

Reactions: TruGr1t

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003

I'd be shocked if you see anything. Only thing that might spring up is a surprise Poolman move, but I doubt it, or he'd have been moved already. Outside of that happening, they can sit pat and achieve their stated goal of entering the season without dipping into LTIR. So yes, the Silovs contract is the last thing outstanding and I'd expect basically the same roster heading into training camp.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Oh that is very true. But their roster still isn't great. Very inexperienced goaltending too - Hart kept them in a lot of games this past season.
Just going back to that Provorov trade for Philly.
End result, Philly sent Provorov, Hodgson, KConn out.
Took back Peterson's 2 years, Sean Walker (dealt for Colorado 2025 1st), LA's 1st in 23 (via CBJ) which was Oliver Bonk, LA's 2nd in 2024 (convuluted tree, but I think this is Spencer Gill, Dman), and CBJ 2nd in 2025.

Phi has Edm and Col 1sts which should be into the 20's. CBJ 2nd, likely before pick 40. Ana 2nd, also before pick 40 most likely. So, their 3 seconds could be from around 35-45.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Canucks will probably want to keep room to be flexible around training camp when other teams try to sneak players through waivers etc.

Reactions: MS and arttk

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Sometimes you just have to tip your cap to Allvin......despite adding six players in free agency as well as a goalie, they're going to enter the season with cap space for the first time in what seems like an eternity. Granted it's only $1-$2m, and a bit higher once Poolman ends up back on LTIR.

But actually having cap room carries big benefits when it comes to recalling players from the minors; and contract flexibility moving forward. And although I don't understand it, apparently being under the cap carries cumulative advantages as you move through the season and a team's player flexibility actually increases over time.

So for that reason I think the Canucks are done adding players, until at least the completion of training camp and the exhibition schedule. But with this front office, you just never know.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I mean you just need to look at when they made deals last season. They will start the season as is, accrue deadline cap space, then bolster the blue at some time before the deadline. At the start of the season all but a few teams will be hoping to contend for a playoff spot, and as teams fall off that's where the opportunities to boost your team come.

In my opinion I think we're only looking at 1 year rentals this season. Acquiring a long term guy like Sanheim would very likely hinder us from resigning Boeser, and I think anyone who says we need to ditch him are nuts. We're kind of locked in for the next few seasons and the big factor on how we can get better simply relies on how well guys like Lekkerimaki/Willander/Pettersson can contribute on ELC's.

Reactions: sting101

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
end of august, ride out training camp to see who gets the final spots. what would it take to aquire sanhiem from philly? he has an ntc. would a 1 for 1 be doable? like a podkolzin or hogs? or sign justin schutlz

Last edited:

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
what are your pronouns?

She/it

shiit-sheesh.gif

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
If we're going to use assets to get a defenseman I don't think there's a better target than Andersson.
I also think that the price for Andersson would be something that most of our fans couldn't stomach.

We have to hope that the supporting cast behind Hughes plays as a solid unit and maybe Willander is reading sooner rather than later.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
I don’t think the Canucks could afford Andersson nor do I think the Flames want to trade him, and if they did, I’m not sure why they’d trade him to the Canucks.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
2024 Playoffs….
  1. Miller
  2. Boeser
  3. Garland
  4. Lindholm
  5. Zadorov
  6. Silovs
  7. Myers
  8. Soucy
  9. Joshua
  10. Suter
11. Hughes
12. Blueger
13. Hronek
14. Hoglander
15. Di Giuseppe
16. Pettersson
17. Cole
18. Aman
19. Lafferty
20. Mikheyev
N/A Podkolzin, Juulsen, Karlsson

Last edited:

Reverend Mayhem

Tell me all your thoughts on God
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
^ I'd put Hughes much higher. He didn't produce as expected, but going off the games he was pretty much the centerpiece of everything for us. #6 at least for me, but I understand the lower ranking.
Strongly agree with the top 5.\\

E: Honest, the only change I would make is swapping SIlovs and Hughes, and I liked Silovs game

Hög was a bit of a let-down, I've been such a huge fan of his since we drafted him. I think he needs more recklessness.

Reactions: Bertuzzzi44

Reverend Mayhem

Tell me all your thoughts on God
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Honestly, I kinda thinking Hög has more potential than I thought when he was drafted. If he puts it altogether, he's the next Mikael Renberg at such a smalller size which is remarkable.

Reactions: andora
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,632.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Israel vs Italy