Grub's Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | The Boys of Summer

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015
Would much rather have thrown assets at Pinto who is actually at center, is better defensively, and more physical. Than throw assets at Mercer who is not a great fit because we have a lot of wingers, and he is not a sure fire top six winger which is what we need. Not the type of player we should be wasting assets on. Also any trade with Willander+ for Mercer is so bad.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Mercer really isn’t much of a center. Doesn’t have size, not good at face-offs, and not physical at all. Good complementary player and all young centers tend to be bad at face offs but the asset cost would be greater than what you get out of him and his cap hit.

Hoglander out produced him last season. So unless you fully believe that last season was a mirage, I don’t see the benefit.

Reactions: timw33 and pitseleh

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
Mercer’s WOWY’s are pretty ugly - pretty much everyone gets worse results with him than away from him - and not sure there is a coach in the league that would play a guy with a ~40 FO% at centre. He’s fine but not really a player the team should be sending its few good assets after in my view.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Mercer’s WOWY’s are pretty ugly - pretty much everyone gets worse results with him than away from him - and not sure there is a coach in the league that would play a guy with a ~40 FO% at centre. He’s fine but not really a player the team should be sending its few good assets after in my view.

You post the exact same thing as me but sound so much smarter. Frustrating!

Also WOWY is a terrible acronym because I am pronouncing phonetically and that’s just silly.

Reactions: bossram

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
I don't see this mgmt team overly interested in mercer, especially with other better options potentially available

Reactions: andora

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Mercer might be good for the team, actually, because we need someone who is able to talk to americans.

1721350152827.png

Reactions: Nopefully

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
You post the exact same thing as me but sound so much smarter. Frustrating!

Also WOWY is a terrible acronym because I am pronouncing phonetically and that’s just silly.
He's using AI.

Well, somebody's using AI.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
A right shot forward at base to play RW with Pettersson, but ideally a RHC to supplant Suter. Someone to fit the Lindholm archetype (whom, as we know, they tried to re-sign here).

I think they'd prefer a RS centre, but I think they just generally need another RS forward that can play in the top nine.

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
i'm not a huge mercer fan but if he can be had for lekkerimaki/willander plus hoglander i think you pull the trigger. where else is a top 6 forward/third line c coming from?

(i'll deny ever having this opinion if they can get ross colton even cheaper)
You lost me at Willander...he is the key to us stepping up a level in a year or two if he hits. You don't trade that for a forward of Mercers quality, plus throw in Hogs on top of it

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Mercer really isn’t much of a center. Doesn’t have size, not good at face-offs, and not physical at all. Good complementary player and all young centers tend to be bad at face offs but the asset cost would be greater than what you get out of him and his cap hit.

Hoglander out produced him last season. So unless you fully believe that last season was a mirage, I don’t see the benefit.
I fully believe last season was a mirage :)

Reactions: sting101

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
You lost me at Willander...he is the key to us stepping up a level in a year or two if he hits. You don't trade that for a forward of Mercers quality, plus throw in Hogs on top of it

people put too much weight on prospects like willander, lekkerimaki, raty, etc

i'm not saying they'll bust but go look at how few rookies/sophomores make meaningful contributions to their teams and then look at their ages and/or where they are drafted. the kinds of guys who come in on an elc and play big minutes for contenders are either top 5 picks or come out of nowhere

the closest thing the panthers had last year or the year before to a meaningful rookie contributor was lundell in his age 20/21 seasons (after making the league fulltime in his age 19). vegas had nobody. edmonton had nobody unless you count broberg in his age 22 season or mcleod in his age 23 season. colorado had byram and newhook both in their age 20 season but newhook barely contributed and byram was the 4th overall. the lightning had sergachev at age 21 but he was in his 3rd season at that point. the lightning also had cirelli and cernak but both barely played at age 22 before being more important at 23

if willander is an important canuck going forward it probably won't be for another two or three seasons. if you can move him now for someone who helps for those seasons and can still be around after that you have to at least consider it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad