Grub's Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | The Boys of Summer

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015
I'd add a 1st round pick to Hoglander to get Sillinger and wouldn't even think twice about it. Probably multiple 1sts. Sillinger is going to be a top-6 C with speed and size/grit for the next decade.
Never heard some one use Sillinger and speed in the same sentence, He is a below average skater with below average playmaking. There is a chance he becomes a top-6 c more likely he become a top-9 c that can move up in down your line up when needed.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
DeBrusk Pettersson Sprong would be interesting. Hoglander to the 4th line with Suter and Sherwood would be one of the best 4th lines in the league.

Podkolzin out for a similarly profiling defenseman?

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Great list. Ferraro would be so ideal but he is gonna get traded for a kings ransom at the trade deadline. He is super -under rated on the boards but very valued in the NHL. Almost like a mini Dan Hamhuis.

Ironically enough, Ferraro was in a podcast this week and just raved about Hughes along with Hronek.

Get this dude on the team ASAP. It would be like a Devon Toews like addition to us that could catapult us to the cup much like Toews did for the Avs.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
I could see both being moved and Sprong and a PMD being brought in.

Sprong scores at a similar ES rate to Hoglander in similar ice time (12:00ATOI) but at a more sustainable shooting % of 11.3 (career 11.8) and likely a similar cost. It's an interesting idea if you can get the right trade package lined up for Hoglander that helps this team over the next 2-3 years.

Reactions: Vector

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Ironically enough, Ferraro was in a podcast this week and just raved about Hughes along with Hronek.

Get this dude on the team ASAP. It would be like a Devon Toews like addition to us that could catapult us to the cup much like Toews did for the Avs.

Ferraro and D. Toews could not be more different players.

If Toews was an analytical darling, Ferraro is an analytical nightmare.

A player where a whole lot of stuff happens around him (he's hitting! he's shooting! he's blocking) without much actual positive impact for his team and is a third pairing guy being forced to play #1 minutes.

Maybe scaled back you might have a player there, but it's likely a very expensive #5D at 3.25MM a year, certainly not a guy like Toews who you launch into legit top pair minutes and let him flourish.

Baby Pettersson

Mar 8, 2014
Saskatoon
He's also terrible defensively, was a healthy scratch in the playoffs, and had a fluke unsustainable shooting year. And has been pushed further down the depth chart for next season.
Agree. Still terribly underrated. I've seen way to many trade proposals with him being a "throw in".

Reactions: Vector

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Was he?

I mean he traded a 25 year old Bernier, Grabner, and a 2010 1st for an unremarkable speedy but undersized #4 defenseman in Ballard. He made the right bet but lost. And instead of cutting loose an L trade, he doubled down on his $4.2M mistake and kept him around for another 2 seasons.

It seems like you agree that the thought process was correct but the best was made on wrong player so I'm not sure what you're disagreeing with. Ballard was 27 years old and under contract for 5 years. Grabner was the main piece fans didn't like losing. The 1st was contingent on a couple of target not being there so it had even less value to the team.

It's like of the Miller trade. If there's a 26/27 year old Miller calibre (or defenseman) with 4-5 years left on an affordable contract the Canucks should make it.

Then he traded Hodgson for Kassian which was just a backwards ass trade. It’s like if we traded Hoglander for Cody Glass or something. Trading an established but young roster player while you’re gearing up for another deep playoff run for a project was quite literally the dumbest thing I had ever seen.
The team (Gillis and AV) had issues with Hodgson. Gillis identified players he would trade Hodgson straight up for and Kassian was available. It didn't help the team in the short term like you said but the team technically got younger so I don't see how that goes against what I said about Gillis not wanting to trade away all of the team's young pieces/picks.

The same principles apply. I don't think anyone of us here want us trading Willander for a 30 year old.

Gillis in reality hoarded picks and prospects and never used them to make the team better. In the end, they never amounted to anything, because statistically, they rarely do from where we were selecting at the time. On top of that, the picks he made were brutal but that’s beside the point.

I’m saying this and I liked Gillis for the most part.
He didn't "hoard" picks and prospects. He had one eye towards the future. In theory that's the way it should be. I think Gillis also underestimated how short a contending window can be so he didn't push in all his chips when he should of, but that's in hindsight. We could have easily won the Cup in 2011. By the summer 2022 he had an eye of retooling.

But yes the drafting sucked. That's actually significant because I think Gillis did count his chickens before they hatch. He so intensely believe in all his sports performance stuff that I think he really did believe his young prospects (including Dane Fox) would amount to something.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I'd add a 1st round pick to Hoglander to get Sillinger and wouldn't even think twice about it. Probably multiple 1sts. Sillinger is going to be a top-6 C with speed and size/grit for the next decade.
I thought I was the biggest supporter of Sillinger on here but MS now takes the crown on this one.

Reactions: AlainVigneaultsGum

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Agree. Still terribly underrated. I've seen way to many trade proposals with him being a "throw in".

His value is very interesting because he should be very important to the Canucks as very cheap scoring. The problem becomes can you trust him in the playoffs and do they still have time to keep developing him? AND the Canucks have quite a few secondary scoring options now. What they need is a top-4 puck moving defenseman and primary scoring.

So Hoglander’s value is maximized for teams like the Sharks and Blackhawks that have ice time to give him or the Lightning who need secondary scoring at a cheap price. It’s really just with the Canucks where his value is funky.

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015
adding sprong would be hilariously good move to me. the canucks building a strong contender at the red wings expense is very funny.
The one thing I like about Sprong is he is very good a generating shots at 5 on 5 which is something the Canucks struggled with last year.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Which is interesting because he HATED Sillinger a season or so ago.
He went from hating the player to liking the idea of trading Hoglander + Multiple 1sts that doesn't include this June's 28th overall?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Which is interesting because he HATED Sillinger a season or so ago.

HATED is strong but I overreacted to a poor season at age 19 when he shouldn't have been in the NHL. He looked like a totally different player last year.

Edit : looking back my comments were in the context of whether I'd value him higher than a top-5 pick in the 2022 draft and I'd stand by saying that was a fair call.

Reactions: Chiripa20

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Never heard some one use Sillinger and speed in the same sentence, He is a below average skater with below average playmaking. There is a chance he becomes a top-6 c more likely he become a top-9 c that can move up in down your line up when needed.

I thought he moved really well and got in on the forecheck really well in the games I saw last year.

He basically put up 2nd line ES production at age 20. Unless a total outlier result happens, he's going to be a top-6 C for a long time.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
HATED is strong but I overreacted to a poor season at age 19 when he shouldn't have been in the NHL. He looked like a totally different player last year.

Edit : looking back my comments were in the context of whether I'd value him higher than a top-5 pick in the 2022 draft and I'd stand by saying that was a fair call.

I'm not going to go and do research. This is the internet. Snap judgements and foggy memories are the only things I go by.

I was more referring to a couple of seasons ago, definitely when he had a poor rookie showing and when he was in the AHL, and you really didn't value him highly. People's opinions are allowed to change with new information.

Personally, I don't think I've ever watched anyone actually play for the Crumbus Blue Jackets. Sure I've seen some of their games but there's nothing there. Nothing from those games mean anything because it's not a real franchise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad