Grub's Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | The Boys of Summer

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I see the Hockey Writers website just listed the top five NHL teams in the quality of their UFA signings, and the Canucks make the list. Along with the the Oilers, the Hawks, the Hurricanes and the Devils.

The Canucks earned an 'A' grade for their off-season work, joining the Oilers and the Devils, also with A grades. The writers were particularly impressed at how the Canucks were able to not only thrifty in terms of their external UFA signings, but how they managed to bring back a lot of their own free agent players.

Interesting to me that some of the teams that made the biggest splashes in terms of dollars spent--like the Preds and the Leafs--didn't make the list.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Interesting. Sprong doesn't strike me as a Tocchet guy, but who really knows.

I can't imagine he'd command much - I'd gather that this would likely be a by product of the Canucks possibly looking at moving Hoglander to strengthen somewhere else (a PMD for the blueline?), and possibly having a guy like Sprong take his place in the top six.

Reactions: TruGr1t and Vector

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
I could see them legitimately being interested in Sprong.

I could also see them being interested in trading for a different player—and leaking this interest in Sprong because they are frustrated with the process with the other team.

Reactions: AlainVigneaultsGum

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
I see the Hockey Writers website just listed the top five NHL teams in the quality of their UFA signings, and the Canucks make the list. Along with the the Oilers, the Hawks, the Hurricanes and the Devils.

The Canucks earned an 'A' grade for their off-season work, joining the Oilers and the Devils, also with A grades. The writers were particularly impressed at how the Canucks were able to not only thrifty in terms of their external UFA signings, but how they managed to bring back a lot of their own free agent players.

Interesting to me that some of the teams that made the biggest splashes in terms of dollars spent--like the Preds and the Leafs--didn't make the list.
I don't exactly know what's going on with the Preds or what their plan is, and I suspect most writers don't either. Happy to be proven wrong but they're basically operating like an MLS team signing aging European stars.

Meanwhile the Leafs committed 41 million dollars to two 34 year old defensemen for 10 years and that's not good. Initially I didn't like the Domi contract, but he was 26th in ES points this past year so I guess that's actually an ok deal if he can hit ~70% of that production over the course of the contract given the slightly inflated on-ice sh%. Don't really love the player though, as he had a few controller disconnect moments in that Bruins series.

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
Interesting. Sprong doesn't strike me as a Tocchet guy, but who really knows.

I can't imagine he'd command much - I'd gather that this would likely be a by product of the Canucks possibly looking at moving Hoglander to strengthen somewhere else (a PMD for the blueline?), and possibly having a guy like Sprong take his place in the top six.
AFP estimate is north of $4MM per on a multiyear deal, which is comic gold IMHO. He's probably looking for a raise over last year ($2MM) though. If he twists in the wind long enough Klingberg himself, who knows how low he'd go. might have some utility on the PP.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
AFP estimate is north of $4MM per on a multiyear deal, which is comic gold IMHO. He's probably looking for a raise over last year ($2MM) though. If he twists in the wind long enough Klingberg himself, who knows how low he'd go. might have some utility on the PP.

AFP has been pretty damn good, but yeah, Sprong is a classic case of the stats not really telling the story - and AFP is largely stats based.

IMO, Sprong will probably end up getting somewhere around $1M to $2M per year on a 1 or 2 year deal.

Reactions: Vector

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
AFP has been pretty damn good, but yeah, Sprong is a classic case of the stats not really telling the story - and AFP is largely stats based.

IMO, Sprong will probably end up getting somewhere around $1M to $2M per year on a 1 or 2 year deal.

That's wild to me, I hadn't looked at it, but I usually like AFP's work. I guess he managed to put together back-to-back 40+ point seasons, but never been particularly coveted since he's relatively poor defensively and doesn't bring any intangibles outside the stat line. Still, given he's never really mustered much over 12 mins per game, his offensive production is impressive. A super Canuck-style money puck pick-up for that reason.

I'd agree though, due to the defensive shortcomings he may have a similar experience to Hoglander getting ice time with Tocchet.

I could see him looking at the Canucks and thinking he could finally crack a top six somewhere since his primary competition would be Hoglander and Heinen, who he's outproduced the past two years.

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022

I don't think his game is going to garner many Selke votes, but he's a good offensive player with decent wheels and a cannon. Tocchet would have crossed paths with him briefly in 2015/16.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I don't think his game is going to garner many Selke votes, but he's a good offensive player with decent wheels and a cannon. Tocchet would have crossed paths with him briefly in 2015/16.

Yeah, Tocchet was his coach for the 18 games he played with the Penguins. Allvin would be extremely familiar with him given his role in scouting and the minor leagues.

Reactions: Jerry the great

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
Yeah, Tocchet was his coach for the 18 games he played with the Penguins. Allvin would be extremely familiar with him given his role in scouting and the minor leagues.
yes, and they may be able to sell him on Vancouver being an opportunity to showcase his game for a bigger contract down the road.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
yes, and they may be able to sell him on Vancouver being an opportunity to showcase his game for a bigger contract down the road.

Getting a chance to play with Miller or Pettersson, fight for PP time, coach and management you know, very structured team that can help with the holes in your game, and play for an expected playoff team could be very appealing even if the salary is low.

As a fan of chaos, I’m for it.

Reactions: Jerry the great

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Getting a chance to play with Miller or Pettersson, fight for PP time, coach and management you know, very structured team that can help with the holes in your game, and play for an expected playoff team could be very appealing even if the salary is low.

As a fan of chaos, I’m for it.

Signing Sprong shorter term and trading Hoglander and/or Podkolzin for defensive help while staying out of LTIR is the kind of 4D chess I like. Insert another right shot, lose no offense, and bolster the blue line.

1721435940443.gif

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Not a fan of Sprong and I can't imagine Tocchet liking Sprong. I suppose if the plan is to play him on the 4th line with a safe defensive player like Aman Sprong could be useful.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Not a fan of Sprong and I can't imagine Tocchet liking Sprong. I suppose if the plan is to play him on the 4th line with a safe defensive player like Aman Sprong could be useful.

I think it’s actually more like you cover his weak defence by playing him with strong player drivers like Miller or Pettersson and Hughes at even strength. Similar to Hoglander’s deployment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad