Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman IV - even more nothing

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Sorry Mike... don't think it works like that. You're comparing apples to oranges here with restricted vs unrestricted. I don't think Swayman is selfish at all for asking what he feels he's worth but the Bruins also have a right to not feel his resume doesnt quite match his demands just yet.

The resume isn't there. Which is what it should all come down to regarding compensation. All sways selling points why he should be payed big money aren't back led up by any legitimate success

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024
Dipietro, Matt Murray, Price to an extent, Bob for years, Campbell, man go fishing for bad goalie contracts. It's a fragile position. If goalies want the moon, maybe more of them need to be consistent for more than 3 years.

Look what happened to Razor. Calder, to nada. Cruel game for goalies. You best not overpay them if you're not SURE.

There's a reason their trade value is usually dirt.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
I definitely felt that the Dec 1st line was a subtle shot at the agent, to let him know they're prepared to wait that long if needed.
What happens from a financial standpoint if Swayman signs November 30th? Does his actual dollars earned get prorated for this season or does he get the full dollars over the remainder of the season?

Anyone know?

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
What happens from a financial standpoint if Swayman signs November 30th? Does his actual dollars earned get prorated for this season or does he get the full dollars over the remainder of the season?

Anyone know?

Im not exactly sure what youre asking Mike. But @DominicT would know.

I believe in your scenario the cap hit takes the AAV and calculates it by days of the regular season. Thats why say at the deadline a team with accrued space of 1M can afford a 5M aav player.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Dipietro, Matt Murray, Price to an extent, Bob for years, Campbell, man go fishing for bad goalie contracts. It's a fragile position. If goalies want the moon, maybe more of them need to be consistent for more than 3 years.

Look what happened to Razor. Calder, to nada. Cruel game for goalies. You best not overpay them if you're not SURE.

There's a reason their trade value is usually dirt.

Exactly. For years that Price contract hampered Montreal and nobody wanted to pay Montreal to take it off their hands. Many times goalies get hot and can carry you to a cup but I'm not investing long term in that

Reactions: goldenblack

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024
Good for you. I find that abhorrent.

You don't think that's the very next logical move after a player doesn't show up for camp?

Player doesn't show
GM says "all good, we can weather that"

I dunno man, "abhorrent" strikes me as the wrong word. This is big league hockey. They want a big league negotiation? Welcome to what that looks like.

Sweeney saying he has no doubt they find a way this year is just how it goes.

Reactions: Bodit9

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024
Some people: Lindholm will never be an 80 point guy (on a line with Pasta and Zacha and PP1 time)

Some of the same people: Just give Swayman what he wants already (and max term), he can definitely do it

Well ok then. That is all the scouting we need!

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
Some people: Lindholm will never be an 80 point guy (on a line with Pasta and Zacha and PP1 time)

Some of the same people: Just give Swayman what he wants already (and max term), he can definitely do it

Well ok then. That is all the scouting we need!
Lindholm has scored 80 pts once in 11 seasons so I guess there is a chance?

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I don't think Saros and Hellebuyck are quite comparable since they are starting their new contract in their 30s. Swayman would be 25 if he signs, which is a pretty big difference.

Rask was 25 or 26 when he signed an 8 year deal. Rask signed his 8 year 7 million deal when he had played just one lockout shortened season as the unqualified starter, with a maximum of 45 games played in a regular season. In today's cap world that would be around 9.5 million AAV. Rask had stronger resume at that point, but not by a mile. A long term deal at around 8 to 8.5 million sounds reasonable for both sides.

I think the Saros contract that he signed when he was 26 just three years ago is MUCH more of a comp than Rask's contract when he signed over a decade ago.

Contract: Saros signed his third professional contract / Swayman looking for his third professional contract

Team status: Both had been playing behind a Vezina quality starter as a 1a/1b situation on good defensive teams

NHL status: Saros placed 6th for the Vezina and received Hart Trophy votes before he signed his 3rd contract. Swayman placed 7th in the Vezina as he's looking for his third contract.

Saros signed 4 years / 20 mill

I'd prefer Swayman and the Bruins go 8 x 8 - prorate him and skip the " well, he hasn't been a full time #1 yet " but there is history involved here with teams holding back on goaltenders that young who haven't proven themselves as the guy yet.

Last edited:

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
He’s an absolute clown and people really need to stop thinking everything they say is the truth.

They have information from Swayman’s side. Don’s not going on a podcast to divulge the history of the negotiation.

As Razor said on Morning Bru, there is a point where you have to accept a deal and get prepared for the season. He knows this bc he held out back in the day.

Stop crying to podcasts Sway and negotiate in good faith to reach a deal.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
He’s an absolute clown and people really need to stop thinking everything they say is the truth.

They have information from Swayman’s side. Don’s not going on a podcast to divulge the history of the negotiation.

As Razor said on Morning Bru, there is a point where you have to accept a deal and get prepared for the season. He knows this bc he held out back in the day.

Stop crying to podcasts Sway and negotiate in good faith to reach a deal.

Like returning phone calls? I guess Sway is lying to them to prop himself up.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Any update on the Bruins (4@6M) are cheap vs Swayman (8@10M) is greedy war?

Neither is true and feel bad for Sway but he hired a media whore who uses public perception to negotiate

Can’t blame Sweens/Cam - the Rich Keefe choice didn’t make sense at first but it certainly does now

Good for Rich playing along - in the B’s guys I let him break it

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Like returning phone calls? I guess Sway is lying to them to prop himself up.
If you believe that then you’re a real sucker.

It’s all smoke from the agent who already isn’t Sweeney’s biggest fan.

Also, the guy repped the Gaudreau brothers and was immediately with the family so for him to make this claim feels particularly gross. Don’t use what happened to attempt to gain leverage for another client

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Going to be polite about this: don't think it's a good look for a general manager in the middle of important negotiations to act like that during a press conference.
He was no Robert DeNiro but he was there with Ben Affleck I thought

• Haha

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
I'm happy Sweeney isn't folding. Good for him!

Swayman's comments last year, this year, just screams entitled. Go join a f***ing union if you want to be the savior for all others in negotiation. Otherwise, shut your yap, and stick to stopping pucks.
He’s actually already in a union. But you’re right shut up and dribble or whatever it is

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
I am more concerned with Swayman weight ~ he looks very thin

Hopefully it’s just videos

He’s not close to asking for the moon just like the Bruins aren’t cheap

December 1 comes fast - the 4th of July seemed like yesterday

• Wow

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
You don't think that's the very next logical move after a player doesn't show up for camp?

Player doesn't show

I dunno man, "abhorrent" strikes me as the wrong word. This is big league hockey. They want a big league negotiation? Welcome to what that looks like.

This is about hockey in the same sense the sopranos was about the mob - that’s just the wallpaper for what it’s really about - in the sopranos case, self-conflict - in this case, about altruism

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston

Player doesn't show

Some expect the GM to say hey, Im sorry Sway let me give you what ever you are asking for. Who cares if you deserve it or not you took business classes, to bad they didn't teach you how the real business world works.

If Sway feels slighted and his feelings are still hurt because HE filed for arbitration and was not prepared to hear the hard truths then he should demand a trade and spare us the drama.

Problem is he has minimal value, like most goalies

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad