Grub's Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Hockey Starts Now

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
They had Myers as their RD2 last playoffs and took the Western Conference champs to 7 games. If you can upgrade the left side for less cost, it’s not a bad option.
Let's be honest. They were somewhat fortunate they took EDM to game 7, and the Soucy-Myers pairing was frequently getting torched.

Relying on Myers, at his age (and if this level of play continues), to play high leverage minutes at RD2, is just a disaster waiting to happen in the playoffs. And if there is a *cross fingers* injury at RD, it massively exposes their lack of depth there. RD should absolutely be the priority.
I think it makes sense given the Canucks seem to like having two pairs below Hughes/Hronek that can switch off duties every other game. So if they can’t find a RD upgrade and are comfortable with Brannstrom, move him to the right side and find a solid LD upgrade. Let’s Soucy-Myers play more reasonable minutes while also giving Hughes/Hronek time to rest. Widens the search too so you aren’t entirely locked into a bidding war.
I agree, I wouldn't exclusively look at RD, because the market is what it is. But it should 100% be the priority. I don't think moving Brannstrom to the right is as easy of a fix as it sounds. For defensemen, it's a lot harder to break out on your backhand, and that's the part of the game Brannstrom is giving them a lift on the third pair.
Upgrading the LHD would be like having Cole there like last season.
I think Brannstrom is more than adequate at that spot.

I think it’s easier to get a LD to babysit Desharnais than to get a RD and a LD to bump Forbort and Desharnais.
Brannstrom is more than adequate at 3LD.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Let's be honest. They were somewhat fortunate they took EDM to game 7, and the Soucy-Myers pairing was frequently getting torched.

Relying on Myers, at his age (and if this level of play continues), to play high leverage minutes at RD2, is just a disaster waiting to happen in the playoffs. And if there is a *cross fingers* injury at RD, it massively exposes their lack of depth there. RD should absolutely be the priority.

I agree, I wouldn't exclusively look at RD, because the market is what it is. But it should 100% be the priority. I don't think moving Brannstrom to the right is as easy of a fix as it sounds. For defensemen, it's a lot harder to break out on your backhand, and that's the part of the game Brannstrom is giving them a lift on the third pair.

I think Brannstrom is more than adequate at that spot.

Brannstrom is more than adequate at 3LD.
If we get a LD it’s to bump Brannstrom/ Forbort
If we get a RD, it’s to bump DesharnIs.

I just think it’s much cheaper to get a LD and the assets saved can be used to make the forwards better.

Also if we get a LD then it makes sense to keep that player where if we get a RD, we need to figure out wtf to do with Desharnais and keeping the RD blocks Willander. Oh and I don’t think j they like the idea of having a smaller D and they most likely want to have a legit top4 puck moving guy that is big.

Last edited:

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site

Ultimately it comes down to acquisition cost for me. Either 2LD or 2RD should be looked at as positions that need to be improved. Ultimately the hope is that Willander fills that hole at RD in the near future, who do we have that can step into a top 4 role next to him? Acquiring a legit, top 4 LD that is either signed longterm or can realistically be re-signed to a reasonable contract fills a bigger longterm need in the organization and also upgrades at a position that needs it now.

Reactions: thecupismine

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015

Wait I trust Myers to play RD2 more than I do Soucy to play LD2. Myers has played high leveraged minutes before this will be Soucys first time this year and he is getting absolutely torched. It's kind of is irrelevant if you think Brannstrom is a good LD3 because Soucy right now can't play LD2, Myers can play RD2. Myers played a min and half more in the regular season last year and 2 and half min in the playoffs. Also, whatever offence Soucy had before the Canucks had dried up, he has 6 point in 47 games.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
If we get a LD it’s to bump Brannstrom/ Forbort
If we get a RD, it’s to bump DesharnIs.

I just think it’s much cheaper to get a LD and the assets saved can be used to make the forwards better.

Also if we get a LD then it makes sense to keep that player where if we get a RD, we need to figure out wtf to do with Desharnais and keeping the RD blocks Willander. Oh and I don’t think j they like the idea of having a smaller D and they most likely want to have a legit top4 puck moving guy that is big.
For RD, I would largely be looking at rentals of some sort. To me, the problem is running Myers in the top-four this year.

I'm more than fine with Brannstrom on the third pair.
Ultimately it comes down to acquisition cost for me. Either 2LD or 2RD should be looked at as positions that need to be improved. Ultimately the hope is that Willander fills that hole at RD in the near future, who do we have that can step into a top 4 role next to him? Acquiring a legit, top 4 LD that is either signed longterm or can realistically be re-signed to a reasonable contract fills a bigger longterm need in the organization and also upgrades at a position that needs it now.
As my position has been known, I think Brannstrom at LD3 is more than fine. I think he has some possibility to be more than that too. The biggest problem is Myers at RD2 for this season.
Wait I trust Myers to play RD2 more than I do Soucy to play LD2. Myers has played high leveraged minutes before this will be Soucys first time this year and he is getting absolutely torched. It's kind of is irrelevant if you think Brannstrom is a good LD3 because Soucy right now can't play LD2, Myers can play RD2. Myers played a min and half more in the regular season last year and 2 and half min in the playoffs. Also, whatever offence Soucy had before the Canucks had dried up, he has 6 point in 47 games.
I...truly do not have that confidence in Myers. He's old and declining before our eyes.

Reactions: andora

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
As my position has been known, I think Brannstrom at LD3 is more than fine. I think he has some possibility to be more than that too. The biggest problem is Myers at RD2 for this season.
And how about Soucy at LD2? So far this season he’s been a bit of a dud and has a lengthy injury history himself. I also question how Brannstrom would hold up in a hard hitting playoff series.

Reactions: Hodgy

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
And how about Soucy at LD2? So far this season he’s been a bit of a dud and has a lengthy injury history himself. I also question how Brannstrom would hold up in a hard hitting playoff series.
I have a lot less concern about Soucy improving his form back to what we saw last season, particularly with a better partner. Injuries are not ideal though.

I've been high on Brannstrom going back to the summer. I was hoping Allvin would sign him outright. I don't really have a concern with him. He's one of their four best defensemen as of right now.

Reactions: andora

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Dallas getting trucked by the Oilers was probably my single biggest surprise of the playoffs last year. I thought Dallas was going to wreck their shit.

It wasn't a surprise after Game 4. They were done and had nothing to give in Games 5 and 6.

Tanev got injured.
Hintz their #1 shutdown center got injured and was playing
Pavelski pretty much hit a wall.

Also finishing 1st in the West and getting Vegas in Round 1 was incredibly lame luck.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
For RD, I would largely be looking at rentals of some sort. To me, the problem is running Myers in the top-four this year.

I'm more than fine with Brannstrom on the third pair.

I...truly do not have that confidence in Myers. He's old and declining before our eyes.
I don't think the management team is fine with running Brannstrom though, this is just from the fact like 90% of the D they have acquired are like 6'4 +.
I don't see the logic in getting a RD to bump Desharnais, that's just wasting cap. I think we have a longer term need with LD and getting one and locking him in would be a better usage of assets.

Reactions: Peter Griffin

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
It wasn't a surprise after Game 4. They were done and had nothing to give in Games 5 and 6.

Tanev got injured.
Hintz their #1 shutdown center got injured and was playing
Pavelski pretty much hit a wall.

Also finishing 1st in the West and getting Vegas in Round 1 was incredibly lame luck.

Oh, I know it became evident as the series went on that Edmonton was going to take it. But heading into the series itself, I thought Dallas was going to win easily.

Reactions: SeawaterOnIce

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

Only thing Canucks related is about the Bains goal.

-Vancouver fans really delivered on the Bains ovation after the goal
-great goal call in Punjabi
-the call being in Punjabi meant a lot to the community
-Punjabi community is one of the staunchest fanbases
-quintessential hockey night moment
-shout to Daniel Sprong for making a high IQ play on the goal

Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
I've been high on Brannstrom going back to the summer. I was hoping Allvin would sign him outright. I don't really have a concern with him. He's one of their four best defensemen as of right now.

I don't think the management team is fine with running Brannstrom though, this is just from the fact like 90% of the D they have acquired are like 6'4 +.

On one hand I could see why they wouldn't want to rely on Brannstrom for the playoffs regardless of how well he plays in the regular season.

On the other hand, apparently they did look into him in the summer and they also are high on Forbort, so perhaps they are content with the two of them.

I would agree that RD is probably the more immediate need with Myers potentially falling off a cliff at any point and not really knowing what we have in Desharnais. However with Willander coming I imagine it would be more of a rental type than a long-term cog.

They could however target that sort of piece for the left side or even do both things and really go for it.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
On one hand I could see why they wouldn't want to rely on Brannstrom for the playoffs regardless of how well he plays in the regular season.

On the other hand, apparently they did look into him in the summer and they also are high on Forbort, so perhaps they are content with the two of them.

I would agree that RD is probably the more immediate need with Myers potentially falling off a cliff at any point and not really knowing what we have in Desharnais. However with Willander coming I imagine it would be more of a rental type than a long-term cog.

They could however target that sort of piece for the left side or even do both things and really go for it.
I am just looking at it from the perspective of we don't have a lot of assets. We CAN get rentals, but ideally we really shouldn't and we should try to acquire guys that we can keep unless a RD rental comes super crazy cheap which is unlikely because RHD price is stupid high.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I am just looking at it from the perspective of we don't have a lot of assets. We CAN get rentals, but ideally we really shouldn't and we should try to acquire guys that we can keep unless a RD rental comes super crazy cheap which is unlikely because RHD price is stupid high.
IMO they do have some fairly valuable bullets in the chamber to pay for some additions: They have 1sts and 2nds for the next two drafts, and I think Lekk should also be dangled in trade talks.

Whether they want to use those assets, or there is a player worth paying for, those are different questions.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
IMO they do have some fairly valuable bullets in the chamber to pay for some additions: They have 1sts and 2nds for the next two drafts, and I think Lekk should also be dangled in trade talks.

Whether they want to use those assets, or there is a player worth paying for, those are different questions.
That doesn't change the fact we have finite cap. We can probably add 2 guys at the TDL, probably 1 forward and 1 D and that will cost us probably our 1st, 2nd, 4th,5th,6th,7th and B/C prospects like Klim. Unless we are getting freaking Crosby there is no reason to dangle guys like Lekk.

Reactions: theguardianII

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
That doesn't change the fact we have finite cap. We can probably add 2 guys at the TDL, probably 1 forward and 1 D and that will cost us probably our 1st, 2nd, 4th,5th,6th,7th and B/C prospects like Klim. Unless we are getting freaking Crosby there is no reason to dangle guys like Lekk.
We have assets to add meaningful pieces, should the right one/s be available at a cost that makes sense. Probably the bigger consideration is whether this is a year you want to go for it. Last year made sense IMO. Lindholm was acquired when we were at the top of the standings and firing on all cylinders, getting career years out of our core, with other guys breaking out (Joshua, Hoglander).

Right now our Vezna (ish) caliber goalie is MIA and so is our franchise C. not sure this is the year to push all in unless those two things change and we're comfortably in the playoff picture.

Reactions: quat

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
We have assets to add meaningful pieces, should the right one/s be available at a cost that makes sense. Probably the bigger consideration is whether this is a year you want to go for it. Last year made sense IMO. Lindholm was acquired when we were at the top of the standings and firing on all cylinders, getting career years out of our core, with other guys breaking out (Joshua, Hoglander).

Right now our Vezna (ish) caliber goalie is MIA and so is our franchise C. not sure this is the year to push all in unless those two things change and we're comfortably in the playoff picture.
I think we should go in somehwhat every year but not to the point where we don't have assets the year after to do it. Like this year's draft picks and some B prospects, sure, but anything more you are just sacrificing next year's ability to do so. Unless we are like REALLY freaking close then we should not do that and to get really close, we need to keep the guys we spend assets on this year so we can continue to build upon the depth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad