Grub's Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Hockey Starts Now

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
They had Myers as their RD2 last playoffs and took the Western Conference champs to 7 games. If you can upgrade the left side for less cost, it’s not a bad option.
Let's be honest. They were somewhat fortunate they took EDM to game 7, and the Soucy-Myers pairing was frequently getting torched.

Relying on Myers, at his age (and if this level of play continues), to play high leverage minutes at RD2, is just a disaster waiting to happen in the playoffs. And if there is a *cross fingers* injury at RD, it massively exposes their lack of depth there. RD should absolutely be the priority.
I think it makes sense given the Canucks seem to like having two pairs below Hughes/Hronek that can switch off duties every other game. So if they can’t find a RD upgrade and are comfortable with Brannstrom, move him to the right side and find a solid LD upgrade. Let’s Soucy-Myers play more reasonable minutes while also giving Hughes/Hronek time to rest. Widens the search too so you aren’t entirely locked into a bidding war.
I agree, I wouldn't exclusively look at RD, because the market is what it is. But it should 100% be the priority. I don't think moving Brannstrom to the right is as easy of a fix as it sounds. For defensemen, it's a lot harder to break out on your backhand, and that's the part of the game Brannstrom is giving them a lift on the third pair.
Upgrading the LHD would be like having Cole there like last season.
I think Brannstrom is more than adequate at that spot.

I think it’s easier to get a LD to babysit Desharnais than to get a RD and a LD to bump Forbort and Desharnais.
Brannstrom is more than adequate at 3LD.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Let's be honest. They were somewhat fortunate they took EDM to game 7, and the Soucy-Myers pairing was frequently getting torched.

Relying on Myers, at his age (and if this level of play continues), to play high leverage minutes at RD2, is just a disaster waiting to happen in the playoffs. And if there is a *cross fingers* injury at RD, it massively exposes their lack of depth there. RD should absolutely be the priority.

I agree, I wouldn't exclusively look at RD, because the market is what it is. But it should 100% be the priority. I don't think moving Brannstrom to the right is as easy of a fix as it sounds. For defensemen, it's a lot harder to break out on your backhand, and that's the part of the game Brannstrom is giving them a lift on the third pair.

I think Brannstrom is more than adequate at that spot.

Brannstrom is more than adequate at 3LD.
If we get a LD it’s to bump Brannstrom/ Forbort
If we get a RD, it’s to bump DesharnIs.

I just think it’s much cheaper to get a LD and the assets saved can be used to make the forwards better.

Also if we get a LD then it makes sense to keep that player where if we get a RD, we need to figure out wtf to do with Desharnais and keeping the RD blocks Willander. Oh and I don’t think j they like the idea of having a smaller D and they most likely want to have a legit top4 puck moving guy that is big.

Last edited:

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site

Ultimately it comes down to acquisition cost for me. Either 2LD or 2RD should be looked at as positions that need to be improved. Ultimately the hope is that Willander fills that hole at RD in the near future, who do we have that can step into a top 4 role next to him? Acquiring a legit, top 4 LD that is either signed longterm or can realistically be re-signed to a reasonable contract fills a bigger longterm need in the organization and also upgrades at a position that needs it now.

Reactions: thecupismine

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015

Wait I trust Myers to play RD2 more than I do Soucy to play LD2. Myers has played high leveraged minutes before this will be Soucys first time this year and he is getting absolutely torched. It's kind of is irrelevant if you think Brannstrom is a good LD3 because Soucy right now can't play LD2, Myers can play RD2. Myers played a min and half more in the regular season last year and 2 and half min in the playoffs. Also, whatever offence Soucy had before the Canucks had dried up, he has 6 point in 47 games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad