Proposal: Greenway for your center

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
thanks and fair enuf
as noted, I was responding to OP, which I appreciate you acknowledging.

Acknowledged and thank you.
How many other Wild fans want to do this?
to be clear that is the latter variant:

expiring Strome fully retained 4.5 -> 2.25 + NYR + WPG 2022 4ths + Hajek
for
Greenway + ANY 2 of 2022, 2023 or 2024 MIN 3rds
what is the NYR add in this?

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
what is the NYR add in this?

no add beyond what I stated:
expiring Strome fully retained 4.5 -> 2.25
+ NYR + WPG 2022 4ths
+ Hajek

for

Greenway
+ ANY 2 of 2022, 2023 or 2024 MIN 3rds

or, I'll do Strome at half for Greenway if you also do my two 4ths this year + Hajek for any 2 of your next three 3rds.

trust that was clear...

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
+ NYR + WPG 2022 4ths
+ Hajek

for

Greenway

or, I'll do Strome at half for Greenway if you also do my two 4ths this year + Hajek for any 2 of your next three 3rds.

trust that was clear...

I am not interested in Strome that much. UFA to be, and we can't/shouldn't re-sign him for what he's going to be asking for.

We're better off trading Greenway for a younger player/prospect/picks than we are trading him for Strome. When you ask us to take Hajek+ two 4ths for two 3rds it becomes even more true.

Last edited:
Reactions: bernmeister

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
no thanks
it is not junk
and does not work and I get more for Strome on the open market w/w'o retention.

Let me know if you get a better offer on alternate to Strome.

You're adding a bunch of draft picks to try and even out a trade. Minnesota has had some success in the 3rd round in the past few years as well. It's unnecessarily complicated.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
+ NYR + WPG 2022 4ths
+ Hajek

for

Greenway

trust that was clear...
sorry seeing it written as + NYR + WPG 2022 4ths i was slightly confused but i see it now. dont know enough about hajek to comment on the proposal.

Reactions: bernmeister

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis
If I'm retaining so it is 4.5 reduced to 2.25 [if you don't get a nice deal w/term you can then flip him easy at 2.25, easier still if you retain further], then in that case I want a +.

I would think about straight up for Strome at full pop 4.5.
That saves me cap and more important gives me an asset w/rfa.
If that's the case, then I make my own deal for Hajek

If you don't want to do that and not save me the cap then a second deal in the package:
do NYR + WPG 2022 4ths + Hajek
for
ANY 2 of 2022, 2023 or 2024 MIN 3rds

do that and I full retain half on Strome

good lord…..mom and dad were right, don’t talk to strangers on the internet…..I’m hanging up now.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
sorry seeing it written as + NYR + WPG 2022 4ths i was slightly confused but i see it now. dont know enough about hajek to comment on the proposal.

He's the 7D type. He's being dumped for his roster/contract slot. He's the least valuable piece involved.

Reactions: DeagleJenkins

heisenbergsitti

Aug 23, 2021
thanks and fair enuf
as noted, I was responding to OP, which I appreciate you acknowledging.

Acknowledged and thank you.
How many other Wild fans want to do this?
to be clear that is the latter variant:

expiring Strome fully retained 4.5 -> 2.25 + NYR + WPG 2022 4ths + Hajek
for
Greenway + ANY 2 of 2022, 2023 or 2024 MIN 3rds

Rangers fans put hajak whose bad, and not worth of playing, along with strome whose suck at face-offs in every trade. No thanks

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

Schmaltz has been really bad this year and you'd be locked in to 4.5 more years of him at a 5.8M cap hit. That would effectively kill your dream of getting any of the Eichel, Hertl, Zibanejad type centers (if it's not already dead), and would almost definitely require you to move two Fiala, Dumba and Zuccarello.

I've advocated for Schmaltz in the past, but that ship should be sailed right now.

Reactions: GuerinUp

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Schmaltz has been really bad this year and you'd be locked in to 4.5 more years of him at a 5.8M cap hit. That would effectively kill your dream of getting any of the Eichel, Hertl, Zibanejad type centers (if it's not already dead), and would almost definitely require you to move two Fiala, Dumba and Zuccarello.

I've advocated for Schmaltz in the past, but that ship should be sailed right now.
Schmaltz is floundering here. His contract is scary, given how he’s trending. In all honesty, he’s probably the most skilled guy on the team other than Keller and Kessel. And I really do think he can be a player, elsewhere. He’s had prolonged stretches in AZ where he was the best forward on the team.

When he simplifies his game, skates in straight lines, and goes inside, he’s worth his contract. When he’s off his game, he’s going on leisure cruises in wide looping circles all over the ice, becomes pass happy from the perimeter, and can be a liability. It’s really as simple as that. He has two distinct ways of playing and they’re so apparent.

When he plays the one way, he’s a great 2nd line center. Top-notch transition play, elite controlled zone entry metrics, dual threat offense in the slot, and hounds pucks for turnovers in the neutral zone, using his excellent skating and sneaky stick work. He’s the 2nd line center you want.

When he plays the other way, he looks like a KHL all-star. The type of dude who achieves legendary status overseas and nobody can figure out why he never made it work in the NHL. The answer is failure to play an effective north/south game with consistent pace.

I think he can salvage this. Really I do. No BS. But I don’t think it’s going to happen here. If it was going to happen, it would be right now. New coach and half the roster turned over. But guys like him seem to flourish as soon as they leave Arizona. Look at Duclair, Domi, Garland, OEL and the list goes on and on. I think it’s actually quite likely Schmaltz would join that group.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack

Also, Kessel’s decline is the most overstated myth in hockey. He’s had one bad season in his entire life. He was 28g/82gp pace last season and is absolutely on fire this season. And he’s doing in on absolutely pathetic AZ teams with no offensive support whatsoever. He’s a one-man secondary scoring machine. Put him with trash linemates and it doesn’t matter. He’s going to help your PP and get you bonus goals galore.

I know he nixed a deal to Minny once. Circumstances have changed. Apart from Buffalo and MAYBE some Canadian teams, I’m sure Arizona is the last team he wants to play for. I guarantee there are at least 20 teams he has ahead of AZ on his list. And I’d bet money Minny is one of them.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Schmaltz is floundering here. His contract is scary, given how he’s trending. In all honesty, he’s probably the most skilled guy on the team other than Keller and Kessel. And I really do think he can be a player, elsewhere. He’s had prolonged stretches in AZ where he was the best forward on the team.

When he simplifies his game, skates in straight lines, and goes inside, he’s worth his contract. When he’s off his game, he’s going on leisure cruises in wide looping circles all over the ice, becomes pass happy from the perimeter, and can be a liability. It’s really as simple as that. He has two distinct ways of playing and they’re so apparent.

When he plays the one way, he’s a great 2nd line center. Top-notch transition play, elite controlled zone entry metrics, dual threat offense in the slot, and hounds pucks for turnovers in the neutral zone, using his excellent skating and sneaky stick work. He’s the 2nd line center you want.

When he plays the other way, he looks like a KHL all-star. The type of dude who achieves legendary status overseas and nobody can figure out why he never made it work in the NHL. The answer is failure to play an effective north/south game with consistent pace.

I think he can salvage this. Really I do. No BS. But I don’t think it’s going to happen here. If it was going to happen, it would be right now. New coach and half the roster turned over. But guys like him seem to flourish as soon as they leave Arizona. Look at Duclair, Domi, Garland, OEL and the list goes on and on. I think it’s actually quite likely Schmaltz would join that group.

I know the scouting report. We can't afford to pay the bolded player 5.8M for the next 4.5 years. You may think he'll be the better player somewhere else, but it's quite literally a risk we can not afford.

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN

ya thats why i said hmmm. on one end its pretty risky, on the other hand if kessel and schmaltz show up it could turn us into a contender this year.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Also, Kessel’s decline is the most overstated myth in hockey. He’s had one bad season in his entire life. He was 28g/82gp pace last season and is absolutely on fire this season. And he’s doing in on absolutely pathetic AZ teams with no offensive support whatsoever. He’s a one-man secondary scoring machine. Put him with trash linemates and it doesn’t matter. He’s going to help your PP and get you bonus goals galore.

I know he nixed a deal to Minny once. Circumstances have changed. Apart from Buffalo and MAYBE some Canadian teams, I’m sure Arizona is the last team he wants to play for. I guarantee there are at least 20 teams he has ahead of AZ on his list. And I’d bet money Minny is one of them.

I never said anything about Kessel or a decline.

Reactions: heisenbergsitti

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison

The problem is the contract. He's making $5.85m for 5 more years and is, charitably, a coin flip to either be a 2C or a waste of a roster spot. We've already lost this bet once with Rask and we really don't have the cap space to take another run at it.

heisenbergsitti

Aug 23, 2021
ya thats why i said hmmm. on one end its pretty risky, on the other hand if kessel and schmaltz show up it could turn us into a contender this year.

Next year where's room for nick @ C? Or maybe as soon end of this year?

Note: you can't take risk that you acquire a c that will make Marat Khusnutdinov think about not coming

Joel Eriksson Ek/ Rossi
Rossi/ Joel Eriksson Ek
Nico sturm / Ryan Hartman
Nico sturm / nick bjustad

Coming up
Marat Khusnutdinov
Damian G
Alexander khovanov

Free agent
Tomas h

Ad

Upcoming events