Proposal: Greenway for your center

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I'd imagine that's why the OP included the phrase, "We are willing to add for the right return".

"You won't get a top six center for Greenway but I'll give you these AHLers"

Reactions: BagHead

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
IMO, I don't agree with the way you're seeing things.. That 3rd line has been your best line all year and you want to break it up because of hypotheticals and projections. Dickinson has been exactly what the team needed, especially with Sutter out long term. You don't trade away a very solid 3C for a project such as Greenway. I was told before this season started the Canucks had one of the best top 6 in the league but now you need another winger to help them out?

I seriously don't see why you think trading a very good 3C on a fair contract for a project winger is at all a beneficial trade for the Canucks and I legitimately don't like the team but can see this objectively.

We have a decent top six, but things aren't clicking, obviously. As evidence, I present your view that our third line has been our best line, to which I disagree. I feel our second line (Pearson-Horvat-Garland), while having it's ups and downs, has still been our best line. Our first line has moments, but Pettersson's hold out and Boeser's injury and Miller's...attitude (apparently?) have meant a lack of chemistry and a slow start.

Highmore-Dickinson-Hoglander generates chances and has some exciting moments, but I don't feel they are all that effective together. Dickinson has less "charge" then his wingers, and despite his goal the other night, is an offensive black hole. Highmore doesn't seem to do anything but generate energy, which he does well, but doesn't seem to excel offensively or defensively. Hoglander doesn't defend as well as he's credited for, but has the puck skill to be a top six player, and with his motor played very well in our top six last season. Podkolzin is another top-9, potentially top-6 given his skill and size, that should be use more then he has been, and would be used as an offensive player in our top-9 in my scenario.

We've scored exactly 3 goals per game, although we ran up the score in Philadelphia thanks to Hart's weak game. Our offense, and by extension our top six, isn't finishing as they should be capable of. Sticking Hoglander with Dickinson essentially has negated his offense so far, with two of his three assists coming off other players and Dickinsons' sole point coming from Hoglander.

To be clear, I'm not looking to jettison Dickinson for anything, but given his style of play so far, I don't see why he isn't available for a winger that isn't terrible in any zone, is bigger than any of our forwards, and could help contribute more offense then we're generating now, which is the reason we've lost the game we have so far. If it was "Greenway for sale" I'd be fine offering other pieces instead.

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
i should have clarified in the OP. Top 6 center that would fit would have the ability to get a propsect and a pick added. Also Id be willing to trade greenway for prospects trending to fill a top 6 role that are currently stuck behind a strong roster

example: vilardi/turcotte type players

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Ducks might be willing to part from Steel who has obviously struggled on his own, but maybe would have better opportunities to flourish in Minnesota. Steels problem mainly has been being too defensively responsible and this year he is reportedly trying to get away from that. And he just doesn't have a center spot in our top9. He is decent PKer and in the dot.

Not sure if that is what Minny would look for. Ducks probably would have to add but no idea how much.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
Ducks might be willing to part from Steel who has obviously struggled on his own, but maybe would have better opportunities to flourish in Minnesota. Steels problem mainly has been being too defensively responsible and this year he is reportedly trying to get away from that. And he just doesn't have a center spot in our top9. He is decent PKer and in the dot.

Not sure if that is what Minny would look for. Ducks probably would have to add but no idea how much.
that is a gamble id be willing to take on. what would you be willing to add?

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
that is a gamble id be willing to take on. what would you be willing to add?
Maybe a lower-round pick or something like that, nothing crazy. Greenway has produced more points, but Steel is a center with FO ability (and PK). While I understand something needs to be added, it would be a minor piece.

On LW we have a position open with Jones out longterm and Steel playing on the LW now anyway and we like big bodies.

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
i should have clarified in the OP. Top 6 center that would fit would have the ability to get a propsect and a pick added. Also Id be willing to trade greenway for prospects trending to fill a top 6 role that are currently stuck behind a strong roster

There is absolutely nothing you could add to Greenway to get Turcotte/Vilardi

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Yes to Strome for Greenway, no to Hajek.

If I'm retaining so it is 4.5 reduced to 2.25 [if you don't get a nice deal w/term you can then flip him easy at 2.25, easier still if you retain further], then in that case I want a +.

I would think about straight up for Strome at full pop 4.5.
That saves me cap and more important gives me an asset w/rfa.
If that's the case, then I make my own deal for Hajek

If you don't want to do that and not save me the cap then a second deal in the package:
do NYR + WPG 2022 4ths + Hajek
for
ANY 2 of 2022, 2023 or 2024 MIN 3rds

do that and I full retain half on Strome

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
What about Kupari?
None of the top notch centers.
I value Kupari higher than Turcotte, but that's just me.

Greenway is just not what the Kings are looking for in general.
When we talk wingers, we talk about goal scoring winger either proven or really young having a potential of 30+ goals

IIxGURUxII

Jul 19, 2018
I know Greenway doesn't get a real top 6 center, but I also know that you know that this is a horseshit counter offer.

I wouldn't trade either for Greenway, not an upgrade on what we have .. nor to have him come play fourth line for two of our top five prospects

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I know Greenway doesn't get a real top 6 center, but I also know that you know that this is a horseshit counter offer.

Strome is legit top 6. As explained in my post #4, with variation on return requested in post 43 above, this is your guy and for a minor backscratch, can be had retained.
Am interested generally hearing from Wild fans on this but particularly from you.

Do you have any names in mind? I am having a hard time seeing a team trade away a legit top 6 C for Greenway as the main piece. At this point Greenway produces like a 3rd line winger. He isn't a great goal scorer (averaging just over 10 goals per 82 games over his career), he doesn't get much PP or PK time. Plays under 15 minutes a night. Greenway is big and would be a good winger on any team, but a top 6 C is the most sought after position in hockey (similar premium for RHD to be fair). I know you said Greenway plus, but without a better understanding of the + it is difficult as well.

The cost for a top 6 C has sort of been set with Reinhart getting a 1st, prospect (needing a new contract and wanting out of Buffalo which both reduce his return) and Dvorak for a 1st and 2nd.

Potentially available C's (I don't know if they are available, just 100% speculation)

Seguin - too much cap hit for the Wild over the next 4 years
R. Strome - probably similar cost to Dvorak not sure the Rangers want another winger (Greenway), they just traded a better winger in Buch because of their depth at this position.
Trocheck - Carolina is in win now, but if one of Necas/Kotkaniemi are ready to make the jump to full time top 6 C or if one of their prospects Drury/Suzuki can take on a more prominent role than maybe there is a match there.
Kadri - although the Avs would want an upgrade at C I would assume
Stastny - not sure if he checks the boxes and he seems to like the Peg so maybe - maybe not
Schmaltz - Seems to have fallen out of favor amongst Zona fans, doesn't appear to have developed the way the Coyotes were hoping when they traded for him.
Giroux - heard that he might not re-sign in Philly on a sports radio show - no idea if true, just trying to cover my bases.
Monahan - He is the Flames whipping boy for now, might be available
Hertl - Will be expensive to trade for and re-sign, but potentially available
Eichel - See Hertl and multiply by 2 - twice as expensive to trade for and a lot more cap hit.

There's probably more but that is a start. Monahan and Schmaltz might be the closest to checking all the boxes for the Wild.
Strome is your guy. Can be made available full pop or half retained -- for a nominal back scratch.
We have an emerging C in Barron. More importantly, we need the roster space in the short term and the cap space long term for Fox, LaF, Kakko.
Yes his value is late 1st or 2nd +, more w/retention.

But while I prefer futures Greenway as elc->rfa who can fit or improve, then showcase and be flipped, works short term and long term.
Just give me nominal backscratch on Hajek, as I need the roster spot.

Hajek btw, was key piece in a big deal, looked all world for 4 games, got a shoulder injury, and supposedly was fully recovered physically, then got mismanaged by team.
He won't crack our D corps.
Is a good buy low candidate, priced accordingly, want him moved but not given away free for roster space.

Consider it and get back to me

Take Zibanejad.
There was an extremely limited possible window where if someone wanted to make NY an offer it couldn't refuse before Zib extended, a deal may have been possible.
He is now long term w/full NMC almost full length of his deal.

So you will take nothing.
Except this rebutt for your insulting offer.

bold is not happening.

As to flipping,
if you do not extend, Strome can be flipped for a 1st + if half retained.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Strome is legit top 6. As explained in my post #4, with variation on return requested in post 43 above, this is your guy and for a minor backscratch, can be had retained.
Am interested generally hearing from Wild fans on this but particularly from you.
Setting aside the premise of this thread, if/when the Wild move on from Greenway it'll probably be this summer for futures. Trading him in-season for an expiring UFA runs contrary to pretty much everything Guerin's done so far.

Reactions: bernmeister

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN

Strome is your guy. Can be made available full pop or half retained -- for a nominal back scratch.
We have an emerging C in Barron. More importantly, we need the roster space in the short term and the cap space long term for Fox, LaF, Kakko.
Yes his value is late 1st or 2nd +, more w/retention.

But while I prefer futures Greenway as elc->rfa who can fit or improve, then showcase and be flipped, works short term and long term.
Just give me nominal backscratch on Hajek, as I need the roster spot.

Hajek btw, was key piece in a big deal, looked all world for 4 games, got a shoulder injury, and supposedly was fully recovered physically, then got mismanaged by team.
He won't crack our D corps.
Is a good buy low candidate, priced accordingly, want him moved but not given away free for roster space.

Consider it and get back to me

There was an extremely limited possible window where if someone wanted to make NY an offer it couldn't refuse before Zib extended, a deal may have been possible.
He is now long term w/full NMC almost full length of his deal.

So you will take nothing.
Except this rebutt for your insulting offer.

bold is not happening.

As to flipping,
if you do not extend, Strome can be flipped for a 1st + if half retained.

i wasnt implying it was or they were available, was simply using them as an example of prospects that are looked as having top 6 potential that are stuck behind roster players. that being said, i like the strome deal you proposed and would take that personally.

Reactions: bernmeister

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Setting aside the premise of this thread, if/when the Wild move on from Greenway it'll probably be this summer for futures. Trading him in-season for an expiring UFA runs contrary to pretty much everything Guerin's done so far.

thanks and fair enuf
as noted, I was responding to OP, which I appreciate you acknowledging.

i wasnt implying it was or they were available, was simply using them as an example of prospects that are looked as having top 6 potential that are stuck behind roster players. that being said, i like the strome deal you proposed and would take that personally.

Acknowledged and thank you.
How many other Wild fans want to do this?
to be clear that is the latter variant:

expiring Strome fully retained 4.5 -> 2.25 + NYR + WPG 2022 4ths + Hajek
for
Greenway + ANY 2 of 2022, 2023 or 2024 MIN 3rds

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad