Prospect Info: Grand Rapids Griffins Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
I don't think I've ever seen a penalty shot come from whatever happened there. Not saying it's not the rule or that it's wrong. Just saying I've never seen it. I was expecting a breakaway from Berggren.

Reactions: Konnan511

Cake Eater

Jan 19, 2022
I don't think I've ever seen a penalty shot come from whatever happened there. Not saying it's not the rule or that it's wrong. Just saying I've never seen it. I was expecting a breakaway from Berggren.

Yeah knocking the net off during a scoring chance, whether intentional or not, results in that.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
5-5 in first 10 games. Team needs to figure out defense and goaltending. They have the most goals against in the central despite being .500.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
5-5 in first 10 games. Team needs to figure out defense and goaltending. They have the most goals against in the central despite being .500.

Too much kids at defence. That will always cause some growing pains.

You should add more Lashoffs and Kampfers on the D to solidify it.

It's the perfect time to bring him up.

In the world of Matt Luffs and Austin Carniks, Austin Carniks and Matt Luffs will be called first.

But he is near, would drop Söderblom to open a slot for Berggren.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005

If this is legitimately the issue the Wings need to GTFO of Grand Rapids. Or buy them and fix them. If the coaching staff down there doesn't know how to work with the young talent they have available, we need to not be sending our kids there.

The kids down there aren't fresh-faced out of Juniors. Edvinsson, Viro, AlJo, even Sebrango each have multiple years of pro hockey experience.

Reactions: Filppula

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway

There's a limit to how many veterans you can have down there. I believe it to be 6 players in the lineup. A player is considered a veteran if he is over 25 years old and has 260 regular season games in professional leagues. The NHL, AHL and pro leagues in Europe counts towards that.

Griffins veterans:
Dominik Shine
Steven Kampfer
Kyle Criscuolo
Brian Lashoff
Jussi Olkinuora (does not count)
Austin Czarnik
Matt Luff

We are at 6 now, counting Czarnik and Luff.

But he is near, would drop Söderblom to open a slot for Berggren.
Agreed. Would be beneficial to Soderblom as well. He needs to get his defensive game together.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
If this is legitimately the issue the Wings need to GTFO of Grand Rapids. Or buy them and fix them. If the coaching staff down there doesn't know how to work with the young talent they have available, we need to not be sending our kids there.

The kids down there aren't fresh-faced out of Juniors. Edvinsson, Viro, AlJo, even Sebrango each have multiple years of pro hockey experience.
Still too many , should some stay in Europe. Also Mcisaac isn't veteran, not very good decision by SY, I think

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Still too many , should some stay in Europe. Also Mcisaac isn't veteran, not very good decision by SY, I think
Too many what? Good players to be this bad defensively? Agreed. Age is completely irrelevant here. All those guys have multiple years of pro hockey and have performed. If the coaching staff can't figure out how to deploy them I'm more inclined to place the blame on the coaching staff than these players that have all come from different systems and performed.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012

Or maybe every coach ever that emphasized veterans was right and playing 5 kids 22 and under on defense just isn't a recipe for winning hockey games at a consistent rate in a top professional league?

Reactions: Holden Caufield

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Or maybe every coach ever that emphasized veterans was right and playing 5 kids 22 and under on defense just isn't a recipe for winning hockey games at a consistent rate in a top professional league?
The AHL isn't a top professional league. Edvinsson, Johansson, and Viro have succeeded in better leagues than the AHL. The inability to make them work in the AHL along with a trio of AHL vets is a failing.

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
The AHL isn't a top professional league. Edvinsson, Johansson, and Viro have succeeded in better leagues than the AHL. The inability to make them work in the AHL along with a trio of AHL vets is a failing.
To say the SHL is better than the AHL is quite the stretch.

To say the SM Liiga is better than the AHL is outright hilarious.

Oct 18, 2006

100% agree.

That defence corp is good, very talented and promising with some pro experience. Coaching is a major concern for mine.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Top 5 is easy: NHL, AHL, SHL, Liiga, KHL

But you have wrong order.

NHL
-------
SHL/KHL
Swiss league (current level, with multiple KHL refugees)
AHL
Liiga

All top European leagues are better this year than comparing anything in the past, thanks to KHL refugees. Not many went from KHL to AHL. That's why AHL level is lesser in comparison this year, compared in the near past.

Also expansion teams have weakened AHL level in general. There's more worse players always when you do an expansion with teams.

And this is very favorable situation for Wings, because our best prospects Kasper and Wallinder are playing in the 2nd strongest league in the world. That quality of competiton will make their transition to NHL easier. Top5 teams from Sweden are beating everybody at Championship hockey League, as a clear indicator of that. Think those top teams could be equal against Russian best KHL teams.

What Kasper is doing now, is much bigger thing, as somebody else did equally like 4 years ago, before corona or before any war in Ukraine.

League levels have changed a lot.

Last edited:
Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
The goaltending has been terrible. Their save percentages are awful and (although I haven't watched any of their games yet this year, I have watched the highlights for all of them and they show all of the goals) they have allowed some stinkers and a lot of saveable goals.
They looked pretty good in the preseason for the Wings though

Sebrango scored from opposite end?
A slap shot from the point

Electric Eric

#91 To the Rafters!
Feb 10, 2014
Portland -> Netherlands
Yeah mine wasn't in order, if I was to put it in order, I would say the following:

NHL
AHL/KHL
SHL
Liiga
I would drop the KHL to below the SHL or Liiga, although I don't admittedly know a lot about Liiga to make a solid judgement on it.

KHL has a lost a lot of talent the past year, hard to place them as the 2nd or 3rd best league out there at this moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad