Prospect Info: Grand Rapids Griffins Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Christien

May 1, 2010
Actually he is more than I expected from him, Hanas is far from NHL. It will take time , meanwhile he is with organization
He was very good in the AHL, but he’s been injured for a while now. His hockey iq translated quite a bit

Reactions: lilidk

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
He's tall, lanky, definitely needs to fill out his frame. I think that's all it is, a lot of small things because he's not fully developed yet.

Hopefully. Right now, it seems like every 2-3 weeks he is out for a bit with something.

What is Hanas's injury?

Reactions: David D

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Hopefully. Right now, it seems like every 2-3 weeks he is out for a bit with something.

What is Hanas's injury?
I think the games earlier he missed he was sick. Probably was dumb and drank water in some hotel.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
It's time to bring a new coach after the season, this is a 5th year for Simon and the results are getting worse and worse. David Carle would be a great steal but does he wants to move up yet? Former Griffin Ryan Oulahan is getting good results in North Bay, last year his team finished 3rd in regular season and lost in the conference final. Now North Bay is currently in the 2nd place and naturally are leading their division. Oulahen is also a young coach, 37 years old but he has lot of OHL experience already.

Dan Watson, his results are quite good. Kelly cup final losses in 2022 & 2019, conference final loss in 2017, in 2018 Toledo won their division and finished 2nd in regular season but lost early in the playoffs. In 2020 Toledo was in 2nd place in their division but season was cancelled. Right now Toledo is in 3rd place their division. 7 seasons as a assistant coach in Toledo and this year is his 6th as a head coach, time for a promotion? 2020-2021 Toledo didn't play any games.

Not many potential options in Europe, Grönborg is going to Finland but Cam Abbot's contract in Rögle ends after this season.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Could they sign Abbott-brothers from Rögle for next season?

I think there could be something on the play, because they have taken so many Red Wings prospects for developmental processes, instead concentrating for only winning. Never understood that Niederbach-move, which did hurt their team success.

Think that would be ideal, Chris Abbot is Rögle GM and Cam Abbot is Rögle Head coach. They work as Dynamic Duo and I don't think Shawn Horcoff is anyhow long-term GM option for GR, and Ben Simon should already have been fired. Horcoff is more of player development-guy, and he is now at wrong duty as GM.

This feels like transitional season before a big change.

Brothers are from Sarnia, so it's like coming home, even though they are canadians. That border city has lot's of ties for Michigan hockey, I could believe.

This is just a rumor, not based on anything, except my OWN gut feeling, after this "red wings farming system" -things at Rögle. Seider, Wallinder, Kasper, Niederbach, there has all the time been somekind of special connection behind the scenes, and I'm quite sure their career plans/hopes after coaching/managing at Europe, are still at North America.

I absolutely love how Rögle plays, I think I would be ready to take these guys over the pond and see them as backup plan when Lalonde gets fired some day.

Also, if you think that scenario further, it would be awesome connection to have NHL coach and farm system GM so closely together. There's no agendas between, they are workaholics together.

Last edited:

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
How on earth is the goaltending in GR this bad. 48th and 50th of the 50 stat qualified goalies in G.AA.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
How on earth is the goaltending in GR this bad. 48th and 50th of the 50 stat qualified goalies in G.AA.
It's brutal this season but not much better in the past ~5 GR seasons, and what makes it even more strange is that they've actually had some pretty decent goalies there. Pickard did okay last season but even he struggled in 19-20. I didn't expect Brattström to do much but Olkinuora, Rybar and Säteri should all have been better than what their numbers are/were. Maybe the free agent European goalie thing just doesn't work in GR for whatever reason?

Reactions: Henkka and Oddbob

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
It's brutal this season but not much better in the past ~5 GR seasons, and what makes it even more strange is that they've actually had some pretty decent goalies there. Pickard did okay last season but even he struggled in 19-20. I didn't expect Brattström to do much but Olkinuora, Rybar and Säteri should all have been better than what their numbers are/were. Maybe the free agent European goalie thing just doesn't work in GR for whatever reason?

Goaltender coaching plus head coaching maybe? Even the best goalies in the league need a competent defense in front of them to succeed. If the coach can't put together an effective defensive scheme besides "chip it off the glass" then that's a problem.

Christien

May 1, 2010
Griffins ended up winning the game tonight, with an OT game winning goal from Czarnik

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
At least Czarnik and O'Regan helped the offence, both with 4 points. Maybe GR will just have to outscore everyone since they clearly can't defend.

Game highlights:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad