OT: Gooooooal!! The All-Purpose Association Football Thread #16 - Tis the Season

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DatBoyJPP

Good Night
Jul 30, 2009
Blairstown
I don't even have a rooting interest really (was pulling for BVB though) and the hair stood up on the back of my neck for 10 minutes. Soccer gods paying karma for Malaga's second goal being offside

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
I felt bad for Willy, he deserved to win that game by himself, he played absolutely amazing.

This was such a good goal though, I still can't fathom how Reus made that pass

Last edited:

DatBoyJPP

Good Night
Jul 30, 2009
Blairstown
1365540076229_zps0cd0aa24.gif

VaxjoDevil

No kids - Still a person
Nov 11, 2009
Princeton, NJ
Yeah, but they would be completely dead if it was 2-1. Now, with Messi gone or playing on painkilling shots PSG needs to just not be scored on the first 20-30 minutes then anything can happen.

Almost happened, really sucks that they missed chances to put it away. Blown away they were not however.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Away goals has to be the stupidest rule ever. Tied twice, yet Barca is still moving on. No matter how you put that it makes no sense.

VaxjoDevil

No kids - Still a person
Nov 11, 2009
Princeton, NJ
Rule was created during a time when playing away was much tougher than it is today. I don't necessarily think it's a dumb idea to give some extra credit to a goal that you score in enemy territory but it had its purpose, time to scrap the rule.

DatBoyJPP

Good Night
Jul 30, 2009
Blairstown
And the funny thing is that statistically MLS is one of the hardest leagues to win on the road (although that's more because of league parity than the crowd itself) and they got rid of it.

Scott04

Sep 13, 2010
New Jersey
I think away goals being a tie-breaker is dumb, but if its another means to further push back PKs, I can't say I'm totally against it. The one thing I will say about it is that once extra time is reached in leg 2 (like in Tottenham/Inter a couple weeks ago), the totals should reset. In the case that it was tied at 3 each (I believe), with the same amount of road goals on each side, Adebayor's goal in extra time (on the road) shouldn't have essentially forced Inter to have to score 2 from there. Just seems excessive from there.

DatBoyJPP

Good Night
Jul 30, 2009
Blairstown
At that point I'm in favor of playing a 3rd game on a neutral site to avoid PKs. Probably not the easiest thing logistically but in a perfect world.

njdevsfn95

Help JJJ, Sprite.
Jul 30, 2006
I just dont like the thought of a team advancing by not winning.

That being said, I will gladly take a 2-0 Newcastle win today :nod:

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Well the draw is set, should be a very interesting semi-finals. I know Dortmund won and tied against Real in the group stage this year but for some reason I would have preferred to draw Barca instead. And thank goodness they play on the 24th, if they played on the 23rd I would have missed it due to an exam. Should be some great match-ups!!

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
Well the draw is set, should be a very interesting semi-finals. I know Dortmund won and tied against Real in the group stage this year but for some reason I would have preferred to draw Barca instead. And thank goodness they play on the 24th, if they played on the 23rd I would have missed it due to an exam. Should be some great match-ups!!

Avenge us please ! :nod:

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Avenge us please ! :nod:

Aha hopefully we do! If Dortmund wasn't so good at home, I would be more worried about playing home in the 1st leg. However, given their record at home it might be a good thing to get a win in the 1st leg and put the pressure on Real.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I wish there was some way to eliminate laser pointers/ bottle throwing from the game. People just at like it never happened.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad