OT: Gooooooal!! The All-Purpose Association Football Thread #16 - Tis the Season

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

njdevsfn95

Help JJJ, Sprite.
Jul 30, 2006
Yes, Mexico got screwed. You're being a homer.

Of course, I don't agree so it makes me a homer.

Mexico had 15 corners and couldnt score on one of them. Couldn't even put the ball in the net on one which was called back on a foul. Yet the USA deserved to lose?

The US played 70 minutes with two defenders on a yellow.

Why didn't Mexico attack those two players for the remainder of the 90minutes? Total mistake on their part. But the USA deserved to lose?

And it wasn't 2 penalties. The first "push" was a major dive. There is a reason why the ref didn't call it. Cry wolf, make a fool of the ref, and you get ****ed. Yet the USA deserved to lose?

Gimme a break, BG.

njdevsfn95

Help JJJ, Sprite.
Jul 30, 2006
After reading all the comments I had to watch the highlights. Highlights are always incomplete but there was one penalty shot that should have been called, and one that could have been called but is a bit less evident.

What qualifying group is this, can both teams get into World Cup from it?

You sound like the guys on the radio I was listening to yesterday.

The first round of CONCACAF qualifying eliminates 5 countries down to 30.
The second round reduces that further to 12.
The third round reduces the 12 to 6 (this is where Mexico and the US join)
The Hexagonal completes the qualification with 3 guaranteed spots.

In the end, it is 3 of 35 countries guaranteed a berth in the WC. Of course, the American guys didn't want to upset the European's so they didn't bother pointing that out.

It's 13 of 53 countries guaranteed a berth in the WC for UEFA. CONMEBOL may have 6 of 10! Their qualification is 4 of 9 (instead of 10 because Brazil is host) with the 5th entering a playoff.

All of a sudden it doesn't look like CONCACAF qualifying is such a joke.

njdevsfn95

Help JJJ, Sprite.
Jul 30, 2006
Speaking of Qatar

[url="http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/soccer-dirty-tackle/qatar-2022-world-cup-organizers-accused-using-slave-144516170--sow.html]Qatar 2022 World Cup organizers accused of using ‘slave labor’ for less than $1 per hour[/url]

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Speaking of Qatar

[url="http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/soccer-dirty-tackle/qatar-2022-world-cup-organizers-accused-using-slave-144516170--sow.html]Qatar 2022 World Cup organizers accused of using ‘slave labor’ for less than $1 per hour[/url]

They're trying to keep up with the Russians, who are apparently doing the same thing to build the Sochi Olympic venues.

njdevsfn95

Help JJJ, Sprite.
Jul 30, 2006
EPL is back!

Newcastle visits Man City today and travels to Benfica on Thursday before 3 straight home matches.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
I'm starting to get in soccer more, and I'm pretty dead set on Dortmund being my team even though it's pretty bandwagony. Are there any Dortmund or Bundesliga fans on this board?

DatBoyJPP

Good Night
Jul 30, 2009
Blairstown
Winning is fun

I'm starting to get in soccer more, and I'm pretty dead set on Dortmund being my team even though it's pretty bandwagony. Are there any Dortmund or Bundesliga fans on this board?

I like Bundesliga in general. Would consider myself a semi Schalke supporter but always root for the German team in international play

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey

Dortmund are my second favorite team only because of their polish trio (Lewandowski/Blaszczykowki and Piszczek) Im Polish and support the national team, sooo I do like Dortmund

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
I like Bundesliga in general. Would consider myself a semi Schalke supporter but always root for the German team in international play

Dortmund are my second favorite team only because of their polish trio (Lewandowski/Blaszczykowki and Piszczek) Im Polish and support the national team, sooo I do like Dortmund

Awesome! I'm still getting into soccer but I've been keeping track of Dortmund for a while now, still learning all the players but I'll get that eventually. My family was a little 'disappointed' in my decision to choose Dortmund, being Italian and all, but it's mostly friendly teasing :laugh:

I'm so pumped for Champions League matches this week! Who do you guys think will win the whole thing?

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Bayern is just ragdolling teams domestically right now. I think the winner of them and Juventus takes it

I'd have to agree, Bayern's team is absolutely ridiculous but if Juve can get by them then I believe they'd have a great shot at winning it all. Dortmund got off relatively easy in facing Malaga (not saying they'll completely dominate them, but compared to every other team Malaga is probably the weakest) so it'll be interesting to see how far Dortmund can go. And with Ibra's suspension being lifted, I think PSG might be able to knock out Barca, and make a good run.

No matter what, some very interesting match-ups ahead, and especially today. Should be great to watch!

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Trying to figure out how to watch this one on the computer if anyone has any ideas!

Sorry man, I didn't see this otherwise I had a website you could've used. Hopefully you found something though!

But wow that PSG-Barca game was unreal! PSG caught a huge break on their first goal though but still very good game, next one should awesome too! A little disappointed Juve didn't win, or at least score a goal, but not really surprised. Bayern just controlled the play for the majority, Juve never really stood a chance today and I don't really think that will change in the next leg.

Dortmund game tomorrow though, can't wait!!

VaxjoDevil

No kids - Still a person
Nov 11, 2009
Princeton, NJ
Just finished watching the rerun of the PSG - Barca game, good one. Zlatan's goal was offside as everybody could see, but I cheered anyway. That equalizer in the last overtime minute changed the dynamics of the return game completely. Will actually be a way more fun game because of it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad