OT: Gooooooal!! The All-Purpose Association Football Thread #16 - Tis the Season

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Just a tough game to watch.

USA deserved to lose they played that so cowardly the entire second half. I understand they have injury issues, but good grief that was difficult to watch when you know one team literally, not figuratively, isnt even trying to win.

Mr.Krinkle

Hello there children
Apr 2, 2007
Kitchen
They didn't deserve to lose at all. The away team in USA vs Mexico hasn't won in qualifiers in what, 40 years? That's only the second away point earned by them in WC Qualifiers against Mexico, ever.

It's chess not checkers, steal the point away and use that momentum in your favor big time at home. There's no reason to take any unnecessary risks when all you need is the point, especially when you're not at full strength.

Plus I thought their defense played pretty well, especially in that frantic stoppage time.

Also that last non call Mexico was *****ing about, they showed 1 quick replay where it looked like the US guy got the ball first, and that's obviously what the ref thought since he awarded a corner. Don't get the uproar there.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
So how long before Mexico submits the written protest to FIFA over the non-penalty call? You know the whispers are going to start (if they haven't already) that FIFA wants the US to get through after this week...

njdevsfn95

Help JJJ, Sprite.
Jul 30, 2006
FIFA owes the US after awarding 2022 to Qatar.

Anyway, Mexico never put the ball in the net so why did the US deserve to lose?

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
They didn't deserve to lose at all. The away team in USA vs Mexico hasn't won in qualifiers in what, 40 years? That's only the second away point earned by them in WC Qualifiers against Mexico, ever.

It's chess not checkers, steal the point away and use that momentum in your favor big time at home. There's no reason to take any unnecessary risks when all you need is the point, especially when you're not at full strength.

Plus I thought their defense played pretty well, especially in that frantic stoppage time.

Also that last non call Mexico was *****ing about, they showed 1 quick replay where it looked like the US guy got the ball first, and that's obviously what the ref thought since he awarded a corner. Don't get the uproar there.

Did you watch the entire game? There was an obvious PK missed and numerous near Mexican scores.

Mexico must have had an insane 14 or 15 corner kicks.

Regardless of what Alexei Lalas wants to believe, the US didnt have "lots of good possession", they played without the ball for almost the entire game. Other than from about the 36th minute to halftime, USA played poorly. Commentators call it "great defense" because the score was 0-0, but they dismiss the fact that the game could easily have been over at about the 26th minute. If that game were played 10 times, the score of nine of them would be 2-0 or 3-0 Mexico. It's great USA got an away point, but that was difficult viewing.

FIFA owes the US after awarding 2022 to Qatar.

$$$$$$$$$$$$

Mexico never put the ball in the net so why did the US deserve to lose?

Because Mexico got screwed, for starters.

njdevsfn95

Help JJJ, Sprite.
Jul 30, 2006

For someone who doesn't watch soccer, you sure know when teams get screwed.

Perhaps the Mexicans screwed themselves by diving on numerous challenges throughout the game.

Cry wolf so often and when you actually see the wolf, no one will come.

VaxjoDevil

No kids - Still a person
Nov 11, 2009
Princeton, NJ
You grab a guy [there] and you will get punched in the face. I've seen it in games even on junior level.

Last edited by a moderator:

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
For someone who doesn't watch soccer, you sure know when teams get screwed.

Yes, Mexico got screwed. You're being a homer.

I'm still amazed that nobody will officially admit that the awarding of that World Cup was corrupt. At this point they might as well, and salvage some credibility.

One of my all-time greatest predictions. There's a Pulitzer Prize in there somewhere for an intrepid investigative reporter that uncovers all the details (assuming they survive the research phase).

DatBoyJPP

Good Night
Jul 30, 2009
Blairstown
Hard to say Mexico got screwed. Several US players had to play for a long time on yellows and both possible penalties were super exaggerated. **** happens and they didn't score. In qualifiers the onus is on to home team to score and they failed.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I'm still amazed that nobody will officially admit that the awarding of that World Cup was corrupt. At this point they might as well, and salvage some credibility.

Screw that, I want to find out how successful their 'outdoor air conditioning' is going to be in 130 degree heat :laugh:

The US can always get another World Cup anyway though hopefully it's in my lifetime. I was only a teen and couldn't really take advantage of the '94 one but I'd definitely do my best to get to MetLife for a game, assuming they have games around here the way they did in the old Giants Stadium.

VaxjoDevil

No kids - Still a person
Nov 11, 2009
Princeton, NJ
After reading all the comments I had to watch the highlights. Highlights are always incomplete but there was one penalty shot that should have been called, and one that could have been called but is a bit less evident.

What qualifying group is this, can both teams get into World Cup from it?

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Six teams in the group, top three get in automatically after a home-and-away against each team (ten games), the fourth place team goes to a playoff against I forget who, maybe a South American wildcard?

VaxjoDevil

No kids - Still a person
Nov 11, 2009
Princeton, NJ
Six teams in the group, top three get in automatically after a home-and-away against each team (ten games), the fourth place team goes to a playoff against I forget who, maybe a South American wildcard?

Three out of six? Wow. I hope those are good teams. In the European groups only one gets in and second goes to playoff. When you're Sweden and you're in Germany's group that's the best you can hope for.

DatBoyJPP

Good Night
Jul 30, 2009
Blairstown
Three out of six? Wow. I hope those are good teams. In the European groups only one gets in and second goes to playoff. When you're Sweden and you're in Germany's group that's the best you can hope for.

Apples and oranges. All of the bad North American teams have already been eliminated. North America is down to just the top 6 in the continent. All of Europe is still alive. Each European group has 1 elite team, 1 or 2 decent teams and then a bunch of fodder.

DatBoyJPP

Good Night
Jul 30, 2009
Blairstown
OK, so this is another system completely.

Yea, FIFA just gives out how many slots each continent gets then it's up to them to decide how to award them. Pretty sure every continent is slightly different but outside South America which is just one giant table most revolve around mini groups.

Mr.Krinkle

Hello there children
Apr 2, 2007
Kitchen
Did you watch the entire game? There was an obvious PK missed and numerous near Mexican scores.

Mexico must have had an insane 14 or 15 corner kicks.

Regardless of what Alexei Lalas wants to believe, the US didnt have "lots of good possession", they played without the ball for almost the entire game. Other than from about the 36th minute to halftime, USA played poorly. Commentators call it "great defense" because the score was 0-0, but they dismiss the fact that the game could easily have been over at about the 26th minute. If that game were played 10 times, the score of nine of them would be 2-0 or 3-0 Mexico. It's great USA got an away point, but that was difficult viewing.

$$$$$$$$$$$$

So the USA defended well against a **** ton of set pieces, especially late in the game where that was heart attack inducing. That's good, that's exciting!

There was one call early that could've been given, but wasn't, so what. The second one late wasn't a miss, our guy got the ball hence the corner.

And no, it was great defense, they were on the Mexicans like white on rice for the most part, every time Chicharito (spelling ****ed up I'm sure) tried to get a run he was offsides or the ball just wasn't there save for that one time he got his foot on it and just didn't have the angle - Beasley had a helluva game and they managed to get some really good chances the other way because Mexico was pressing so hard.

The US knew that Mexico was going to press to keep their own ****ing crowd off their back, so why not weather the storm and see what you can get out of it?

VaxjoDevil

No kids - Still a person
Nov 11, 2009
Princeton, NJ
I'm watching a rerun of Bolivia - Argentina. I love South American soccer, less tactically strangling, lots of man-to-man, physical and tough, and there is this element of street soccer all over. The passion is awesome.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad