GDT: Gold star - Russian Combine- starting June 18

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
I feel like I missed something in the past few days. What exactly were the “rumours” being spread regarding Demidov?

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
<
I feel like I missed something in the past few days. What exactly were the “rumours” being spread regarding Demidov?
Some BS about SKA more than Demidov actually. Basically, anything to pretend he's not coming over after next season or that he's going to be ruined playing another season in the MHL.

Reactions: Habsfan18

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Demidov showing up to the combine like

*sorry I can only do interviews my legs hurt*

1000005093.jpg

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Man...what a brutal episode, Brian Wilde especially was so cringy. He got such a boost out of them saying "Billy Basement".

McCagg is dumb enough on his own but Wilde is an entirely different and even dumber beast....at least in regards to hockey knowledge. Saying that Mateychuk and Yakemchuk are very similar and cut from the same cloth is a quote that only a pasty stat wiener would utter as they are polar opposites in many ways other than being offensive dmen.

There were countless displays of idiocy cresting one after another in a sea of nonsense as almost all of his comparisons were just dumb or tropey.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Well, I'm late to the party on this one... Very surprised at his height/weight. This was something I was really looking forward to seeing.

Adjustment made. If Demidov is on the board when we pick, he's my guy. I was considering Iggy over him but now I have reversed it. Still like Iggy a lot but that's good size for Demidov who skates so well. That weight is nice. He may not be a in your face type physically but it helps with cutting around guys and dealing with forecheck.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Well, I'm late to the party on this one... Very surprised at his height/weight. This was something I was really looking forward to seeing.

Adjustment made. If Demidov is on the board when we pick, he's my guy. I was considering Iggy over him but now I have reversed it. Still like Iggy a lot but that's good size for Demidov who skates so well. That weight is nice. He may not be a in your face type physically but it helps with cutting around guys and dealing with forecheck.

Yea, his new measurements definitely make him even more intriguing than he already was. But I remain in my assertion that even if we don't land Demidov, the fact there are Iginla, Lindstrom & Sennecke at forward and guys like Buium and maybe Dickinson on D, the Habs will be leaving the draft with a great player.

While Demidov is taller and heavier than what we expected, Sennecke is the same. When he was drafted in the OHL in 2022, he was under 6-feet. He's now 6'2", some say he's 6'3" and that he can even grow up to be 6'4". Unfortunately, while he was at the NHL combine, he wasn't measured.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
JO Glaude said this week that his measurement is not that important if it’s 5’11 or 6’1 for a guy that is rank top 5. It could have mean something for a guy ranked

I think there's differing opinions on it, I guess it might depend on how small some teams thought he was.

Reactions: Vachon23

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Can't say I'm all that crazy about having the draft hopeful do a half speed, let's try and not get hurt showcase like that. There's a reason why the NBA stopped doing it long ago, it really doesn't tell you much about a prospect you don't already know at this point. As borderline pointless as the combine is, at least it's new intel.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Looking for forwards drafted in the 1st round out of the vhl mhl or wtv

Not exactly encouraging lol

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas

Very fair point

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL

That's fair. On the other hand, put a player like Demidov on the Barrie Colts and its hard to imagine he doesn't dummy teams like Svechnikov.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yea, his new measurements definitely make him even more intriguing than he already was. But I remain in my assertion that even if we don't land Demidov, the fact there are Iginla, Lindstrom & Sennecke at forward and guys like Buium and maybe Dickinson on D, the Habs will be leaving the draft with a great player.

While Demidov is taller and heavier than what we expected, Sennecke is the same. When he was drafted in the OHL in 2022, he was under 6-feet. He's now 6'2", some say he's 6'3" and that he can even grow up to be 6'4". Unfortunately, while he was at the NHL combine, he wasn't measured.

I find it difficult to predict who's going to be the disappointment in this top 13. The talent is very good after Celebrini but man... hard to believe that all of them will be who we project them to be. I have to believe 1 or 2 disappoint or busts.

But yeah, I do trust our scouts and Gorton/Hughes. They did well with passing on Wright and Michkov by taking Slaf and Reinbacher. Well, we don't know yet between Michkov/Reinbacher but I feel both will be equal talent in different areas of the game.

Habs

Always cheerful, happy and pleasant.
Feb 28, 2002
McCagg is dumb enough on his own but Wilde is an entirely different and even dumber beast....at least in regards to hockey knowledge. Saying that Mateychuk and Yakemchuk are very similar and cut from the same cloth is a quote that only a pasty stat wiener would utter as they are polar opposites in many ways other than being offensive dmen.

There were countless displays of idiocy cresting one after another in a sea of nonsense as almost all of his comparisons were just dumb or tropey.

you sound like my dad commenting on my high school report card and now I have ptsd again

• Haha
Reactions: ngc_5128

Kents polished head

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
I personally would prefer Dickinson if we went the left D route, as I think he's genuinely a prospect the team that drafts him is going to be excited about - and for good reason.

But Buium is probably 3rd on my list as far as Ds are concerned. Tremendous offensive talent with great hands, and feels like a quarterback back there in transition. Ideally he'd put on some muscle because I think he tends to get overpowered quite a bit in the defensive zone, but he's a 17 year old teen playing against 22 year olds. That being said, you can see the guy has elite game IQ at both ends of the ice.

I just don't see who brings this package in our organization as things stand. I'm really, really more skeptical about Hutson than most here.

In fact, I don't see any surefire 1st pair D on a good team in our current pipeline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad