HF Habs: Goaltending Prospects/Young Players - Who to Keep Who to Trade

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
I'd go Allen, Montembault and Hammond next year.
Neither of them is a starter at this point, but Allen is good in small stretches....

I'd rotate them every night I think lol

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I posted this in the game thread, but I’m a Montembault believer. Not every goalie develops as fast Carey Price. I said this even when he was struggling, but Montembault is a very talented goalie. His size and movement combo is that of a true NHL #1. Just needs to iron the rest of it out and he’s on his way.

he and Allen can tandem next year. Hammond can be the 3rd option. Give Primeau another year in the AHL. Hopefully Price retires lol

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I posted this in the game thread, but I’m a Montembault believer. Not every goalie develops as fast Carey Price. I said this even when he was struggling, but Montembault is a very talented goalie. His size and movement combo is that of a true NHL #1. Just needs to iron the rest of it out and he’s on his way.

he and Allen can tandem next year. Hammond can be the 3rd option. Give Primeau another year in the AHL. Hopefully Price retires lol

I remember a friend if mine who plays gosl saying it's important for a goalie to have the net regularly in order to develop. We saw th as t with Price. He got the net before he was ready. But developed by playing a lot as the starter.

rik schau

Peeping has perks. lol
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi

For the most part Montambeault has been solid and impressive.He got hung out to dry way too much but seems resilient.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
For the most part Montambeault has been solid and impressive.He got hung out to dry way too much but seems resilient.
I’d be very comfortable with him backing up Price next year if CP returns. I would also be very comfortable penciling him in as a tandem with Allen for next year if Price moves on.

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
Mountainboat has been playing good hockey. The big question is can he do it for a length of time over a full season. And can he do it on big time games. Allen would be a hood partner if Price never returns.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Assuming Price is healthy to start next season, I would look to move Allen in the offseason. We would likely get back a 2nd round pick at best.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Assuming Price is healthy to start next season, I would look to move Allen in the offseason. We would likely get back a 2nd round pick at best.
Hell no! Allen needs to come back in the next couple of weeks get a few games in to show he’s healthy & be dealt for a kings ransom this deadline

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
You seem to be suffering from the Tokarski/Condon/Lindgren syndrome.

You think Montembeault can be a starter?

Being an established backup would be a win for him.
Not necessarily a starter, but a good back up. I'm not comparing him to those guys either. Montembeault has played well in an historically bad season and I think that says a lot. None of those guys went through a season this bad. He's been very solid win or lose for quite some time.
I see no harm in signing him. He'd be cheap, he's French and if he doesn't work out, no biggie. If he does, he'd be a steal for 3 years.
I know its a small sample size, but he's around the age where goalies start to come into their own.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Not necessarily a starter, but a good back up. I'm not comparing him to those guys either. Montembeault has played well in an historically bad season and I think that says a lot. None of those guys went through a season this bad. He's been very solid win or lose for quite some time.
I see no harm in signing him. He'd be cheap, he's French and if he doesn't work out, no biggie. If he does, he'd be a steal for 3 years.
I know its a small sample size, but he's around the age where goalies start to come into their own.

All these guys were good in a small sample size and got overhyped, that's my point.

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
All these guys were good in a small sample size and got overhyped, that's my point.
Maybe. I'd agree with Lindgren. Still, like I said, current circumstances are much different. A guy playing on essentially a rebuilding team should be evaluated differently. Let's see how he ends the season. If he takes the starter spot or if they split games.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Hell no! Allen needs to come back in the next couple of weeks get a few games in to show he’s healthy & be dealt for a kings ransom this deadline

Considering there are talks about whether Price will still be able to play or need to retire, I can't see Allen being traded right now. Based on the last press conference, it seems like they should know the answer about Price's future within the next few weeks.

Last edited:

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
It really depends on Price but once there's clarity, you gotta move one of Price or Allen and keep Montembeault to see what he can be.

Primeau should get another year in the AHL with a veteran back-up (Hammond?) and we see Dobes in his sophomore season in the NCAA with Dichow playing in the SHL.

Following year, you'd move Primeau up and have a decision on Price/Allen/Montembeault and let Dobes/Dichow platoon in the AHL.

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
Considering there are talks about whether Price will still be able to play or need to retire, I can't see Allen being traded right now. Based on the last press conference, it seems like they should know the answer about Price's future within the next few weeks.
Allen won't be part of the future. If they can get something, they should. There's no goalie that's making the team a contender anytime soon. Might as well go with youth.

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
It really depends on Price but once there's clarity, you gotta move one of Price or Allen and keep Montembeault to see what he can be.

Primeau should get another year in the AHL with a veteran back-up (Hammond?) and we see Dobes in his sophomore season in the NCAA with Dichow playing in the SHL.

Following year, you'd move Primeau up and have a decision on Price/Allen/Montembeault and let Dobes/Dichow platoon in the AHL.
I'd be shocked if Price even wants to return to this team. I'm sure they've discussed it behind closed doors.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Allen won't be part of the future. If they can get something, they should. There's no goalie that's making the team a contender anytime soon. Might as well go with youth.

He would be part of the future(2-4 years) if Price has to retire. Monty can't handle starter goalie duty and Primeau isn't ready.

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
He would be part of the future(2-4 years) if Price has to retire. Monty can't handle starter goalie duty and Primeau isn't ready.
I like Allen, but I'm not so sure Monty can't start. He's shown good things to at least be a good backup, but we'll see. Plus, there's rumors about them going after Samsonov. Might be a good, young tandem that won't cost them a ton for say, 3 or 4 years.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
What do you guys think of Vrbetic?

Dobes and Dichow both seem to be doing great and are getting a lot of attention but I really liked what I saw from Vrbetic during the Habs camp.

i haven't seen enough of him, I wonder if he's too big, but they can let him go back to the OHL as an overager next year and then maybe a year in the ECHL after that so they can take their time with him.

Dobes is at least as dominant as Primeau was in the NCAA, has superior athleticism but the main difference between the 2 is the puck management around the net. Primeau is and has always been pretty limited in that area of the game while Dobes is much better at it.

Still believe in Primeau since he barely played with Covid seasons and lost some mileage. 22 yrs old is extremmely young for a goaltender. Not sure what I would do at this point, kid cant come back in the AHL next year, so Im curious to see what happens next.

I'd say Primeau was a little better but he did it as a recently turned 18 year old (he turned 18 2 months before the season started) and 19 year old. Dobes at 20 has a little more advantage.

But either way both have been outstanding in the NCAA.

Primeau can play in Laval next year, he signed as a 19 year old so he gets 4 years in the AHL (or if he plays in another 59 NHL games)

Reactions: Goldenhands and Seb

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad