HF Habs: Goaltending Prospects/Young Players - Who to Keep Who to Trade

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Samsonov is not really good right now but he is still considered as a good part of the 1A/1B system WSH has with Vanecek so I don't think he is available anyway

He’s likely not currently available, but I could see the Caps trading him in the summer as they need to re-sign both him and Vanecek.

If Lehkonen doesn’t get traded now, I could see a Lehkonen/Samsonov deal as both are RFAs.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I have no idea how to approach a sentence like this when discussing the Montreal Canadiens so I'll just bow out.

You have no idea what you're talking about. Lafleurs Guy is right. There has been absolutely nothing wrong with taking Price or making him the franchise player. He just wasn't supported nor was the team tailored around his unique skill-set, such as his play with the puck.

Guy Larose

Jan 25, 2018
Well, WASH have been following the Habs lately and there were 2 scouts at the game yesterday, so these Samsonov rumors might have legs...

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
Whatever we do with a new goalie, he cannot help the Habs win games next year. Another 15 win season next year please.

Reactions: cphabs

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
We had Desharnais as our number one with Price in net. Do you think that’s an example of what “building around the net” means?
Agree with you here. There's no building going on since the Roy era. They just get a good goalie and when trying to put a team in front of him, they just throw shit against a wall hoping it sticks. But I agree with others about building around the net in the sense that putting your eggs in one position is a recipe for failure. You need good F, good D and good G plus luck to win a championship.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Agree with you here. There's no building going on since the Roy era. They just get a good goalie and when trying to put a team in front of him, they just throw shit against a wall hoping it sticks. But I agree with others about building around the net in the sense that putting your eggs in one position is a recipe for failure. You need good F, good D and good G plus luck to win a championship.
Well when you pay your goalie and an ageing Dman 18+m, there is not as much cap to build around left as you d wish for.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Get the best players you can. It doesn’t matter about the position. The best teams usually win cups along the way.

If your best player’s a goalie or a blueliner? Great. It doesn’t matter. What matters is having talent throughout the lineup and not hiring a moron to coach them.

The idea of one player being good enough to win a cup with a bad team just doesn’t happen. Look no further than McDavid for that.

Reactions: Toene

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Well when you pay your goalie and an ageing Dman 18+m, there is not as much cap to build around left as you d wish for.
Price’s contract never prevented us from getting great teams. Incompetent management did. From 2014 onwards we didn’t lose a playoff game with Price in net when we scored three or more goals… He was worth the cash. But we built bad teams around him. After Markov left the D was a disgrace.

Im all for getting a star goalie. It’s the most important position in the game. A goalie can take you a long way on his own. But if you want a cup, you’ll need more than just one player.

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
You have no idea what you're talking about. Lafleurs Guy is right. There has been absolutely nothing wrong with taking Price or making him the franchise player. He just wasn't supported nor was the team tailored around his unique skill-set, such as his play with the puck.
Unbelievably bad management to not take advantage of Price before MB threw 10.5M at him in perpetuity. What did he think was going to happen? Having Desharnais as our pathetic 1C with Price in net, is akin to having Jason Missiaen in net for the Oilers with McDavid

It has to be known - you pay top dollar $ for 1C, 1D, 2C, 2D, 1G (in that order). unless you legit have the first 4 - your goalie is pointless.

RealityHurts

Feb 24, 2020
Price’s contract never prevented us from getting great teams. Incompetent management did. From 2014 onwards we didn’t lose a playoff game with Price in net when we scored three or more goals… He was worth the cash. But we built bad teams around him. After Markov left the D was a disgrace.

Im all for getting a star goalie. It’s the most important position in the game. A goalie can take you a long way on his own. But if you want a cup, you’ll need more than just one player.
I disagree. You're only looking at Price's results. How about we look at something else: winning formulas?

Other teams have been winning with goalies costing less than 10m. You build from the front because at its most basic level, it isn't the team that doesn't allows no goals that wins, but the team that scores more goals.

I am not saying you should be 100% offense, what I am saying is that a star forward is more important. Teams have won with decent goaltending (even Niemi has a cup)

You can't just look at 1/8 of the team's cap being shed on a goaltender with the next highest paid player being 2m++ under and claim we didn't build the franchise off the goaltender. Price is a great player, but it has not been a winning formula. Even if Florida wins with Bobrovsky's contract this year, it will be because of cheaper contracts due to absence of tax.

EDIT:

& if you are going to build a defensive team, I'd rather bolster the defense and get a decent goaltender than to get a star goaltender with average defense.

Reactions: Toene

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
What about McNiven, he's still a Hab, no?

I don't think he will be a Hab for much longer. Maybe he will play backup in the NHL someday, but I would be very surprised if it was in Montreal.

He needs a place where he can actually play games.

Reactions: peate

peate

Smiley
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
I don't think he will be a Hab for much longer. Maybe he will play backup in the NHL someday, but I would be very surprised if it was in Montreal.

He needs a place where he can actually play games.
I remember when he was regarded as our next starter when Price retires. Has he really deteriorated that badly?

HabsForHire

"Expect the unexpected"
Sep 21, 2011
CT
We never did build around the net. If we had, we'd have won some cups.

Having a great goalie is a GOOD thing. But if you put Desharnais as your first line with it, you go nowhere.

Get the best players you can. That means best goalie, best blueliner, best forward...
We 100 % tried building from the net out and I hate it

A55P2

Jul 14, 2009
Québec, Québec
From the very little I've seen of him, Dobes looks more like he might be one of our future goalies. He looks agile, fast, confident and very agressive on the shooter. If I was his teammate, I'd trust him more than Primeau.

Reactions: montreal

PhysicalHABuse

Jun 11, 2016
We 100 % tried building from the net out and I hate it

I agree. The same goalie can’t play all the games. We found ourselves struggling to win games when Price wasn’t in. Playing him all those games would wear him out. When he was gone for long stretches like this year, we struggled horribly. I think a team is better able to absorb the loss of a key player when it’s not a goalie.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I remember when he was regarded as our next starter when Price retires. Has he really deteriorated that badly?

Was he ever hyped that badly? Pretty sure Condon, Tokarski and Lindgren got more hype.

Anyway, since turning pro he never played more than 31 games in a season. He needs playing time.

Reactions: peate

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I disagree. You're only looking at Price's results. How about we look at something else: winning formulas?

Other teams have been winning with goalies costing less than 10m. You build from the front because at its most basic level, it isn't the team that doesn't allows no goals that wins, but the team that scores more goals.

I am not saying you should be 100% offense, what I am saying is that a star forward is more important. Teams have won with decent goaltending (even Niemi has a cup)

You can't just look at 1/8 of the team's cap being shed on a goaltender with the next highest paid player being 2m++ under and claim we didn't build the franchise off the goaltender. Price is a great player, but it has not been a winning formula. Even if Florida wins with Bobrovsky's contract this year, it will be because of cheaper contracts due to absence of tax.

EDIT:

& if you are going to build a defensive team, I'd rather bolster the defense and get a decent goaltender than to get a star goaltender with average defense.
I believe going into last year Carey Price was the only player who’s advanced into the 2nd round while making 10mil or more. Kane did it last year and Price did it a second time.

So… yes, you want to avoid ten mil contracts if you can. But he was worth the cash. Problem is we built crappy teams around him. And that wasn’t because of his contract. We simply had a terrible GM.

Moreover we could’ve won cups in 2014-16 if we’d had better teams. Price was making 6 mil back then. If you have an ace player, pay him. But don’t surround him with trash.

Btw, we beat a team with three players making ten mil plus in the first round last year because our goalie stood on his head.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad