HF Habs: Goaltending Prospects/Young Players - Who to Keep Who to Trade

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Dichow leading Allsvenskan in both gaa and save %, 1.96 and .933 just sick. 3rd in SO, 4th in wins, 10th in mins.

Dobes among goalies with more then 14 starts, he is tied for 5th in save % at .926, 7th in gaa at 2.1 Tied for 6th in wins, 11th in mins, tied for 7th in SO's.

Reactions: hn777 and Sagikev

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Dichow leading Allsvenskan in both gaa and save %, 1.96 and .933 just sick. 3rd in SO, 4th in wins, 10th in mins.

Dobes among goalies with more then 14 starts, he is tied for 5th in save % at .926, 7th in gaa at 2.1 Tied for 6th in wins, 11th in mins, tied for 7th in SO's.

Excited to see the next step for both these guys.

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
Hopefully one of them pans out. Even I fall to some kind of magical thinking that we'll always find a great goalie, just by habit of being spoiled. But magical thinking is dangerous thinking.
I'm starting to wonder if (for the same reason) Players simply cannot perform offensively in Montreal, that goalies (on the opposite end of the spectrum) always seem to rise up? Maybe the atmosphere and pressure of Montreal achieves two things:
1- Kills players confidence.
2- Creates the perfect setting for goalies to thrive.

Examples over the past 30 years:
- Halak
- Huet
- Theodore
- Price (Generational talent)
- Roy (Generational talent)
- Garon
- Penney
- Dryden (Generational Talent)

Last edited:

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I'm starting to wonder if (for the same reason) Players simply cannot perform offensively in Montreal, that goalies (on the opposite end of the spectrum) always seem to rise up? Maybe the atmosphere and pressure of Montreal achieves two things:
1- Kills players confidence.
2- Creates the perfect setting for goalies to thrive.

Examples over the past 30 years:
- Halak
- Huet
- Theodore
- Price (Generational talent)
- Roy (Generational talent)
- Garon
- Penney
- Dryden (Generational Talent)

Hey, who knows? Except Kovalev in a short window, we haven't had a true game breaker since the mid-1990s

Beyond pathetic on that front, and frustrating

Reactions: themilosh

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
Hey, who knows? Except Kovalev in a short window, we haven't had a true game breaker since the mid-1990s

Beyond pathetic on that front, and frustrating
I was a massive fan of Kovalev - Best player Ive ever seen (on the Habs) since I started watching in 1982. It bothers me to no end, we actually had him, and let him go (just like Radulov) for no reason other than --- he "disappears" for a few games.. booo fricken hoo.. the guy could dominate when his game was on.

Reactions: BenchBrawl

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Habs always seem to find goalies.

This is a lie.

Habs Goalies that are full time in the NHL as a backup, or starter are Price ('05) and Halak ('03)

Price obviously isn't full time, but would be and Halak will be out of the league as soon as next season.

All people remember are the hype we associated around various prospects because so many others use disappointed.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
This is a lie.

Habs Goalies that are full time in the NHL as a backup, or starter are Price ('05) and Halak ('03)

Price obviously isn't full time, but would be and Halak will be out of the league as soon as next season.

All people remember are the hype we associated around various prospects because so many others use disappointed.

not necessarily through the draft but we've been lucky with our goalies for like 20 years now

JC Superstar

Aug 7, 2013
This is a lie.

Not counting Vezina, Durnam, Plante, Dryden, Roy or Price and in between like Vachon or Esposito. Memory is a curse.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Not counting Vezina, Durnam, Plante, Dryden, Roy or Price and in between like Vachon or Esposito. Memory is a curse.

Well, damn if I knew going back 60, 70, or what 80 years for Durnam was allowed I wouldn't have said anything, but I'm talking the past 20 years it's been pretty much crap, which is the relevant part.

GammaAway

Jun 24, 2020
Well, damn if I knew going back 60, 70, or what 80 years for Durnam was allowed I wouldn't have said anything, but I'm talking the past 20 years it's been pretty much crap, which is the relevant part.

Montreal has been excellent at drafting junior goalies. But they struggle with the pro transition. I'd much rather name the Caps as the best at dressing G.

Corky

Mar 21, 2008
Singapore
So, how excited should we be about these Habs goalie prospect. Seems Dobes and Dichow are doing really well judging from this thread.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
So, how excited should we be about these Habs goalie prospect. Seems Dobes and Dichow are doing really well judging from this thread.

We should be very excited about Dobes and excited about Dichow.

I think between Primeau, Dobes and Dichow we have our goalie of the future. We don't know how every goalie will handle moving up levels but I'm confident in the athletic ability of Dobes & Dichow, it will be mental and technique refinement for them.

Primeau just needs to show that he can handle shooters at the next level.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
We should be very excited about Dobes and excited about Dichow.

I think between Primeau, Dobes and Dichow we have our goalie of the future. We don't know how every goalie will handle moving up levels but I'm confident in the athletic ability of Dobes & Dichow, it will be mental and technique refinement for them.

Primeau just needs to show that he can handle shooters at the next level.
. I like Primeau. I thought at the beginning of his pro career he would maybe to be a future Carey Price. I was maybe too much optimistic. Lol. I think he can developp into an NHL goalie. I just would like to see more wins in the AHL, because he has a fairly good pct.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
So who’s better? Dichow or Dobes? And when do you guys think they should come to Laval?

Dobes is just killing it. I am starting to wonder if the plan is to move one or both of Price/Allen before next season starts, if they would consider bringing Dobes to Laval but you don't want to rush him so Primeau being the starter in Laval, Dobes back to Ohio St, Dichow with Frolunda would be my guess.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
You guys who have watched Dobes a lot,... Is he the read deal? Every week he seems to steal a game and I don't remember anything like it since Price was MVP in both the WJC and in the Calder Cup playoffs. Should he be near the top of our prospects list?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
You guys who have watched Dobes a lot,... Is he the read deal? Every week he seems to steal a game and I don't remember anything like it since Price was MVP in both the WJC and in the Calder Cup playoffs. Should he be near the top of our prospects list?

for sure, he's the real deal, he's got some things to work on but you have to really like the tools and what he's doing. He's easily a top 10 prospect for us.

Reactions: Schooner Guy

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

I'm trying to be more cautious since you never know when players move up ranks if they find the level they can't get passed.

I will say that he has all the traits to be a legitimate starting goalie. He's big. He's powerful in his lower body. He's a battler. He tracks the puck well and is incredible in scrambles. Looks the puck into his body and quick to find puck and cover.

Rebound control needs work. Technique needs refinement. He needs to learn to read the play for when to be aggressive vs when to be back on his goal line like Lundqvist and let his reflexes do the work.

But that stuff can be learned and taught. His compete and athleticism can't be.

Dobes is a top ten prospect easily. Hes better than Dichow but Dichow is looking good as well and we will see if he gets games at the Olynpics to show us how he handles that competition.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad