HF Habs: Goaltending Prospects/Young Players - Who to Keep Who to Trade

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Montreal has always been a powerhouse when it comes to the Goalie position.

From Dryden to Roy to Theodore to Price we have had goalies that win individual awards and often help carry the team to success. Interspersed with those Elite tier goalies we have had solid ones like Walmsely, Hayward, Thibault, Hackett, Halak and Allen.

What are your thoughts on the current state of Goalies with the Montreal Canadiens? With Price nearing the end of his career, do we have the next "Elite" level goalie in the system?

What are your thoughts on Montembault and/or Primeau? Do they have what it takes to transcend the solid level and enter into top 10 goalies in the league?

Should we be looking at drafting a high goalie in the coming draft? Are there any solid ones we can draft with Calgary's pick that will take the torch of our next superstar goalie?

Discuss

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Price has two (maybe 3) good years left but he has to get healthy. If Healthy, he has a lot of gas left. If not healthy, he's on LTIR. Nobody knows and it's major guess work.

Allen could be retained during rebuild years. Good piece to have (especially if Price goes on LTIR). However, I might flip him for two 2nd's if we got that offer from the Oilers. And the 2nd's I want is for the 23 and 24 drafts.

Montembault has shown ability to step up to the challenge. If we were to trade Allen and Price was on LTIR, there are many other guys we can sign in the off season.

Primeau is not ready. Great AHL stats but he needs more time in the AHL and might never pan out.

Dobes has good numbers in the NCAA and his USHL last season. But Primeau also had great numbers. Someone to watch but goalie development is hard to guess.

Dichow is playing well in Sweden. Same hope with Dobes.

Who else can we draft?
Something to look out for in this draft and the next one.

Reactions: waitin425

llamateizer

Mar 16, 2007
Montreal
I feel the approach to pick the best goalie (aka elite) is no longer valid.
you build your system around your Elite players.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
I don't know if its ever been valid. I remember when we drafted Price. Many couldn't understand why we didn't draft Brule - me included. The scouting team saw something in Price and took that shot. If we drafted a goalie high again, like anywhere in the first round, I think there would be a lot of skeptics, but it has worked for us in the past.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

I personally would avoid that narrative cause you do need a very good goalie to win a cup. However, we should not be using top 15 picks on goalies though. Tampa got Vasi with the 19th pick.

I get your point and I do support focusing on top 6F and top 4D first but we can't ignore that teams like the Avs and Oilers have struggled with their goalies and even if Campbell is playing well, can he take the Leafs on a good run? That critical goal he allowed against Gallagher in game 7 (weak 5 hole) is all it takes to get knocked out.

Top 6F and top 4D is important but we will be looking to draft a goalie from 20-100 range at some point. Maybe this draft or the next one.

Reactions: Vachon23

First Line

Summer of Love
Aug 21, 2002
Laval
Gorton has an eye for goalies, I’m least worried about that position.
We are lacking another goalie around Montembault’s age group to provide some competition but beside that keep building goalie depth.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I think the discussion should be Price vs. Samsonov pretty soon.

Are they planning on moving on from Price, is he retiring or forever on LTIR?
If they do get Samsonov it’ll be the first time Price has pressure since Halak.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Cup winners

Tampa x2 Vasy like 19th overall.
St. Louis Binngington late round pick I believe.
Holtby 3rd round pick
Pens x2 Murray 2nd round pick/Fleury 1st overall
Crawford 2nd round pick
Quick 3rd round pick
Crawford 2nd round pick
Quick 3rd round pick
Tim Thomas 8th round pick
Niemi 5th round pick

The interesting thing is, I believe only Thomas wasn't drafted by the team that he won with.

So, you don't need to draft a goalie high, but you do tend to need to develop said goalie.

Having a good team in front of them really helps.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
I don't think Samsonov would be a short terme solution, he's still young. Just hope if we trade for him, he will be better then the other Samsonov we had.
Samsonov is not really good right now but he is still considered as a good part of the 1A/1B system WSH has with Vanecek so I don't think he is available anyway

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Which I don't get, so the Caps would lean on Vanecek?

Caps are in win-now mode, so they might want to bring in a more experienced guy than Samsonov instead of waiting on him to reach his potential. Samsonov has the higher potential, but right now Vanecek is the better goalie and with an older core he gives them a better chance of winning in the near future.

Perhaps they may have interest in Allen as a veteran 1B, or could be after Fleury if they clear cap. The Habs could take back some salary from Washington if needed as well.

Reactions: EquabaleAce

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
The sick joke is probably that we might end up having a ppg 1C for 10 years and no good goalie this time around :laugh:

In all seriousness there's something in the water in Montreal that produces stable goaltending I wouldn't be suprised if we end up alright on that side, maybe not price Theodore level again but at least average

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
Trade Allen, he could get a decent return from a desperate team.
Resign Monty. 3 years maybe 3 mill. He's developing into a solid goaltender.
Hopefully move on from Price, but if they can't, then they have him and Monty. If Price is in and out of the lineup, they can grab a vet for cheap from somewhere.
Primeau, I'm doubting will be an nhl goalie, but he needs a couple solid, uninterrupted seasons as the starter in Laval to determine that.
As for the guys in junior, it's encouraging but too early to tell.
No matter what, they need to move on from Price. At best, he gets them a worse draft pick, at worst, he's in and out. Either way, he's costing way too much and will not make this team a contender. It's going to take time, and by then, his play will have declined.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I don't know if its ever been valid. I remember when we drafted Price. Many couldn't understand why we didn't draft Brule - me included. The scouting team saw something in Price and took that shot. If we drafted a goalie high again, like anywhere in the first round, I think there would be a lot of skeptics, but it has worked for us in the past.

What was weird about taking Carey Price wasn't the hype as much as using a lottery pick to do so when they had a 28 year-old Theodore in net who had shown zero signs of dipping. He was coming off a superb season in '04 and was only two years off from the Vezina.

Reactions: waitin425

Goalfield13

In Bilbo We Trust
Aug 31, 2021
If Price is done, I want a Samsonov (24)/Montembeault (25) duo. Monty has been pretty good for us this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad