HF Habs: Goaltending Prospects/Young Players - Who to Keep Who to Trade

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
all im saying is, why bother picking up and playing a waiver goalie like montebo?

why not just play primeau instead?

moves like that make no sense

there could not possibly be a better time to play primeau, these games don't mean anything

so why not give him 10-15 games and see what he can do?
Because we want Primeau to see a lot of games in the AHL, that's what he need for his development. For once, the Habs do the right thing for the development of there prospect.. Montembault is here to sit on the bench and play the back to back

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
More good showings from the Hab goalie prospects,

So Dichow wins again today, now has won 6 in a row after losing his first 4 games. He's given up 6 goals in the last 6 games. He's now 5th in the league in save %, 6th in the league in gaa, and tied for 4th in wins.

Primeau looked very sharp last night.

Vrbetic is 4th in the OHL in gaa among goalies with at least 10 starts. 8th in save %.

Dobes leads the NCAA in save % among goalies with at least 8 starts. He's 3rd in gaa with goalies with at least 8 games, .002 and .003 behind them.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
As of this morning:

- Dichow with a 2.31 GAA and a .924 SV% in 10 GP (1 shutout)
6th in Hockey Allsvenskan in GAA and 5th in SV%

- Vrbetic with a 2.58 GAA and a .908 SV% in 12 GP (2 shutouts)
6th in OHL in GAA and 9th in SV%

- Dobes with a 1.39 GAA and a .946 SV% in 9 GP (1 shutout)
5th in all of NCAA in GAA and tied for 2nd in SV%

Last edited:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
certainly looking very good all the sudden as Primeau has been really good in Laval, Dobes is killing it all year so far (he's off this weekend) Dichow goes from a poor start to being on fire and one of the top stats in Allsvenskan, not bad for a rookie that barely played last year. Vrbetic looks like he's been a little hot and cold at times but looks interesting for sure. I wonder if he's a little too big but we'll see as it's going to take time to get a read on him since he didn't play at all last year.

Reactions: hn777

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Crazy season from Dichow, I should have tried to watch more of him as he is just on fire right now, giving up just 9 goals in his last 8 games. wow. HV71 is the top team in the league and 2nd best offense so to limit them to 1 goal is great to see.

His team has now moved into 3rd place for now as I need to see some other scores.

Great seasons from both Dichow and Dobes. They're two big boys at 6 foot 5 and 6 foot 4.

It's nice to have a few decent goalie prospects in the pipeline. Hopefully one of Dichow, Dobes or Primeau works out for us.

Reactions: montreal

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
- Dichow has a 2.13 GAA and a .927 SV%
He is 5th in Allsvenskan in GAA and 2nd in SV%

- Dobes has a 1.83 GAA and a .931 SV%
He is 8th in the NCAA in GAA and 8th in SV%

- Vrbetic has a 2.59 GAA and a .907 SV%
He is 6th in the OHL in GAA and 10th in SV%

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Dobes and Dichow certainly are interesting because of their athletic flair.

I haven't gotten to see much of Dichow yet but Dobes is just so much fun to watch. While I really enjoyed watching Primeau in the NCAA, Dobes is just more fun as Primeau has that Price like even keel all the time, never rattled. Dobes is so aggressive, too much so at times in handling the puck but man does he get fired up at times.

Reactions: dralaf

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I haven't gotten to see much of Dichow yet but Dobes is just so much fun to watch. While I really enjoyed watching Primeau in the NCAA, Dobes is just more fun as Primeau has that Price like even keel all the time, never rattled. Dobes is so aggressive, too much so at times in handling the puck but man does he get fired up at times.

Dobes compete level is high, Dichow also has a high compete but a bit more internalized. You'll see it show up more at the end of the game.

Our goalie scout better stay around, he's the only one who unequivocally knows what he's doing.

Reactions: hn777 and montreal

GammaAway

Jun 24, 2020
Dobes compete level is high, Dichow also has a high compete but a bit more internalized. You'll see it show up more at the end of the game.

Our goalie scout better stay around, he's the only one who unequivocally knows what he's doing.

Until anything comes out of it, whether it is NHL games or trades, I'm not willing to say that.

Don't get me wrong, it's never a bad thing for prospects to do great in the minor leagues, but I'd be looking for something more before popping out the champagne.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
just can't get over what these goalie prospects are doing.

Vrbetic - in the OHL,
3rd in gaa
3rd in wins
4th in save % (.001 back of 3rd) among goalies with 13 starts
8th in mins (3 mins back of 7th)

Dobes - in the NCAA,
5th in save % among goalies with 15 starts
7th in gaa among goalies with 15 starts
tied for 7th in wins with 10

Dichow - in Allsvenskan,
3rd in save % among goalies with 14 starts
4th in gaa among goalies with 14 starts
tied for 5th in wins

Primeau - in the AHL,
3rd in save % among goalies with 14 starts
4th in gaa among goalies with 14 starts
3rd in mins played
tied for 7th in wins
tied for 2nd in SO's

Nevins

Jul 12, 2014
Interestingly,Patrick Roy and Carey Price won the Calder Cup in their first season in the AHL.Like whatever,great goalkeepers stand out quickly.Do we have a first goalie in our prospects?Who has the best potential to replace Price right now?For me ,Primeau is at best a number 2 and Mcniven is not NHL material. Dobes?Dichow?Vrbetic?

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Interestingly,Patrick Roy and Carey Price won the Calder Cup in their first season in the AHL.Like whatever,great goalkeepers stand out quickly.Do we have a first goalie in our prospects?Who has the best potential to replace Price right now?For me ,Primeau is at best a number 2 and Mcniven is not NHL material. Dobes?Dichow?Vrbetic?

Dobes
Primeau
Dichow
Vrbetic
McNiven

Is how I would have it right now. Dobes just has huge upside, Primeau is the safer bet since he's doing it at the AHL level.

Reactions: Nevins

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
I'm rooting hard for Vrbetic, loved what I saw when he was at the camp.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
We need better goalie prospects. Hopefully we pick up one in the next two years.

Goaltending is the one thing that resisted to the mid-1990s collapse of this organization. Let's not f*** this up. Philly is a warning tale.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
2017 Draft- Primeau- 6 foot 3
2019 Draft- Dichow- 6 foot 5
2020 Draft- Dobes- 6 foot 4
2021 Draft- Vrbetic- 6 foot 6
2022 draft?

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
We need better goalie prospects. Hopefully we pick up one in the next two years.

Goaltending is the one thing that resisted to the mid-1990s collapse of this organization. Let's not f*** this up. Philly is a warning tale.

If we have a chance to get an Askarov level guy, sure but there isn't one in this draft and we actually have a bunch of nice looking goalie prospects right now.

We have one of the top AHL goaltenders, one of the best NCAA goalies, and one of the best goalies in the OHL. Dichow is on the best goalies in the Allsvenskan.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
If we have a chance to get an Askarov level guy, sure but there isn't one in this draft and we actually have a bunch of nice looking goalie prospects right now.

We have one of the top AHL goaltenders, one of the best NCAA goalies, and one of the best goalies in the OHL. Dichow is on the best goalies in the Allsvenskan.

Hopefully one of them pans out. Even I fall to some kind of magical thinking that we'll always find a great goalie, just by habit of being spoiled. But magical thinking is dangerous thinking.

Reactions: Kobe Armstrong

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Hopefully one of them pans out. Even I fall to some kind of magical thinking that we'll always find a great goalie, just by habit of being spoiled. But magical thinking is dangerous thinking.

All we can do is keep allocating picks to the goaltending position but they're picking the right profile, big, athletic goalies who need to iron out their technique vs. what we did with Fucale and took a goalie with flawless technique but limited athletic upside.

If we get a chance at a Askarov level goalie prospect with multiple firsts in upcoming drafts, absolutely, but I don't see any this year.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal

It's not realistic to expect generational goalies. Roy had a pretty good team behind him as well. The team behind Price was pretty weak but he just didn't let anything in that year, in any league. He's been very good since, but he picked up a couple of injuries and I don't think any goalie has had a year like that. His team in the WJC wasn't the typical Canadian steamroller, he dragged them through. Same for the Calder, team would be outshot 40-12 and win 3-1.

I'm happy to have good goalie prospects doing well. If we are lucky one of them will be a good starter. In any case we need skaters before we get a star goalie. It's good that most of these guys, other than Primeau, are a few years away. Primeau is still learning, at least as per Cayden Primeau is finally looking primo, so with another hundred AHL games or so he could be a good NHLer. Best case still gives some time to get lottery picks before he starts stealing games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad