HF Habs: Goaltending Prospects/Young Players - Who to Keep Who to Trade

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I'd like to see Montembeault given a good number of the remaining games. Monty is 5-5-2 in the MSL era, 6 games with a SV% over 0.920. If Price is healthy we aren't likely to carry 3 goalies, and Allen has the trade value and contract status to get something decent and the best value might very well be at the draft so it we should give Montembeault a few more starts to help him along.
Montembault is way to inconsistent. He’s going to be 26 at the start of next year. He isn’t getting much better if at all then he is now which is waiver fodder. We need to look at real options moving forward. The last few seasons have really made Primeau a giant question mark regardless of age.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Montembault is way to inconsistent. He’s going to be 26 at the start of next year. He isn’t getting much better if at all then he is now which is waiver fodder. We need to look at real options moving forward. The last few seasons have really made Primeau a giant question mark regardless of age.
I'm not sure how we can conclude that. Most backups will look very inconsistent when used as the starter and that's what Montembeault has been this season. His numbers are quite similar to Allen's who considered a high end backup if not a 1B goalie. So Montembeault certainly has shown he could be a NHL backup. And lots of goalies only start to show their quality in their mid-late 20s so I'm not sure the age factor is actually the negative you seem to think it is.

I'm not saying Monty can or will be a starting goaltender, but he can absolutetly be an NHL backup. And until we know whether Price is going LTIRetirement or not we can't do anything regarding finding an NHL starter. We have to hope to develop one and Montembeault being the NHL backup doesn't really impact that since this future starting G is still years away.

I think I'd prefer to go into next season with Price/Monty and say a pick/prospect from trading Allen, then to go with Price/Allen and losing Monty to waivers.

GrandBison

Jul 1, 2019
for goalie rankings its:

Dobes
Primeau
Dichow
Vrbetic

But the gap is closing between Dichow and Primeau.
Who's under contract to play in Trois-Rivières next year? As a Lions fan I'm quite happy with Silovs and Desrosiers but at least one spot should be used to give games to a Habs prospect.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Who's under contract to play in Trois-Rivières next year? As a Lions fan I'm quite happy with Silovs and Desrosiers but at least one spot should be used to give games to a Habs prospect.

Not sure Desrosiers will be back

My point is, right now, ECHL affiliated team ice two goalies from other teams system. It's not beneficial to the Habs.

We currently don't have anyone signed. I don't think they will bring one of Dichow/Dobes before 2023-2024, so it would have to be an undrafted goalie signing.

I expect them to run Primeau/Poulin in the AHL next year.

Reactions: Vachon23

GrandBison

Jul 1, 2019
We currently don't have anyone signed. I don't think they will bring one of Dichow/Dobes before 2023-2024, so it would have to be an undrafted goalie signing.

I expect them to run Primeau/Poulin in the AHL next year.
Agree that Poulin seems a fit at Laval... but where Montembeault will be if Price and Allen are healthy?

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

Would probably be some aged out junior guys on AHL/ECHL deals. Doesn't look like Dobes or Dichow will be signing this summer and Vrbetic will go back to the OHL.

Reactions: GrandBison

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Price shoots to return down this final stretch of games.
Good move to take the mystery out of the situation........for his new team next fall.
Price for first rounder? (Habs eat some salary)

Last edited:
Reactions: peewee

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

Life after Price, and when we're ready to contend, is really a scary thought. Especially when you look at all these contenders that have question marks in goal.

Definitely can't rely on Primeau and Monty. Hopefully HuGo are on the lookout in the draft and the trade market.

Reactions: nhlfan9191

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Life after Price, and when we're ready to contend, is really a scary thought. Especially when you look at all these contenders that have question marks in goal.

Definitely can't rely on Primeau and Monty. Hopefully HuGo are on the lookout in the draft and the trade market.
We seems to always figure out goaltending. Goalies seem to thrive in the atmosphere, atleast when they first come here. Montembault is definitely not part of the future. It’s looking more and more like Primeau isn’t either but the jury isn’t completely out yet on him.

Reactions: GrandBison

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
We seems to always figure out goaltending. Goalies seem to thrive in the atmosphere, atleast when they first come here. Montembault is definitely not part of the future. It’s looking more and more like Primeau isn’t either but the jury isn’t completely out yet on him.

I wonder if the short term plan is to see just how good this MSL team full of youngsters can do next year with a Price-Allen duo to backstop them...

Ylonen, Poehling, Evans, Pitlik, Barron, Guhle, and Harris, in addition to Suzuki, Caufield, and Romanov, may all make cases for bigger roles.

Kiss Under the Guy

Mar 21, 2022
I wonder if the short term plan is to see just how good this MSL team full of youngsters can do next year with a Price-Allen duo to backstop them...

Ylonen, Poehling, Evans, Pitlik, Barron, Guhle, and Harris, in addition to Suzuki, Caufield, and Romanov, may all make cases for bigger roles.
If Price comes back as unstoppable as he was last time we saw him play, I feel like most of these guys will make their case for a bigger role. Except Guhle, we could wait on him if none of these plays on the right side, with Romanov, Edmundson and Harris (probably) ahead of him

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

The thing is "short term" is more then just next season, and I don't think we should be re-signing Allen. So his status comes down to several things, first is when will Allen's value be at it's peak, at the draft or during next TD? My opinion is goalies have more value at the draft then at the deadline, so we should probably move Allen this summer.

The second thing to consider is what do we want to do if Price isn't healthy/good. For me in that case we should tank again, and that's more likely with Montembeault then with Allen so again we should probably deal Allen over the summer and just roll the dice with Price and we don't really need Allen or he's not and we maximize our chances at a lottery pick.

Reactions: 26Mats

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
I'm not sure how we can conclude that. Most backups will look very inconsistent when used as the starter and that's what Montembeault has been this season. His numbers are quite similar to Allen's who considered a high end backup if not a 1B goalie. So Montembeault certainly has shown he could be a NHL backup. And lots of goalies only start to show their quality in their mid-late 20s so I'm not sure the age factor is actually the negative you seem to think it is.

I'm not saying Monty can or will be a starting goaltender, but he can absolutetly be an NHL backup. And until we know whether Price is going LTIRetirement or not we can't do anything regarding finding an NHL starter. We have to hope to develop one and Montembeault being the NHL backup doesn't really impact that since this future starting G is still years away.

I think I'd prefer to go into next season with Price/Monty and say a pick/prospect from trading Allen, then to go with Price/Allen and losing Monty to waivers.
Agreed. Monty has improved a lot and I don't get why people crap on him. On a better team, he's a solid young backup. Geez, you have Allen standing on his head facing 40-50 shots, so what's that tell you about the state of the D? To expect the same from Monty is unrealistic. He makes one mistake, and people crap on him.

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
Ideally, here's what I'd do:

Trade Price
Allen is under contract
Resign Monty for cheap for a year or 2
Resign Poulin
Primeau I believe is under contract

The habs don't need to go after a big name goalie next season. They can wait.

Cournoyer12

Mar 17, 2022
This is only my opinion on drafting goaltenders. I believe you really need to intensely scout them more than any other position. Not only the physical eye test but mental attitude. I compare this to drafting kickers in football. The mental approach to both positions are extremely similar. The old adage “ice water in the veins “ certainly applies. You can be a physical specimen but between the ears is just as important, therefore I believe the scouting has to be more intense. Antedote most kickers are signed as free agents!

Deebs

Without you, everything falls apart
Feb 5, 2014
We've been lucky over the decades of having some elite goaltending. Now with the uncertainty with Carey's health moving forward, so we have anyone in the system to take over the starters role of so we gave to go outside the organization to find the next.

Is Primeau showing enough in Laval? Any other prospects in the system that looks like a serious contending to take over the throne or is it finally time where the franchise doesn't rely so heavily on goaltending to win games?

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Even through their darkest days Habs have always managed to find goaltending- like NYY find left batters & Dodgers find pitchers.

It’s just in the org DNA - it’ll be short term answers like Hackett, Theodore not necessarily the next HOFer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad