Post-Game Talk: Goalie Bobbed in Game 1

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
We saw in the Dallas game 6 and the 1-0 game in LA that our In-Zone Knob Defence can stifle offences. It doesn’t always look pretty and it FEELS like we are getting run out the building, but in general we do a good job contesting everything, getting in pass lanes, getting in shooting lanes, and pressuring shooters. We make chances against “not clean” for the other team. Cleaness of the chance against is comically underrated around here in terms of danger. How many times do you see a Shooter with time and space snipe goalies in this League, happens all the time. Doesn’t even have to be an elite shooter in todays league, like how we saw Hyman pick Otter upstairs or how we saw Rodrigues pick Skinner upstairs.

And then look at our only goal against in that Dallas game? When we finally got some o-zone pressure and it was turned back for a rush chance against. Statistically, Rush chances are the most dangerous chance type. Skinner isn’t great on rush chances and neither is our Team D. Remember back when we hired Knob, he keyed in on Rush defence as one of things that needs to be cleaned up and was a big reason why our season tanked at the start. Back checks either fail with a lack of attention or a lack of stamina after trying to generate something in the o-zone.

Preventing and defending rush chances against must be a prime focus of ours if want to win this Cup. Backchecks are NOT optional. Leaving it all on the line means you skate even when it burns. Even if it doesn’t LOOK like you can affect the play. You get the f*** back anyways. The Cats will, we have to match that.

Last edited:

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I mean, Oettinger has worse regular season numbers than Skinner, and Silovs was worse than Jack Campbell in the AHL.
Bobrovsky is a Vezina candidate. It’s not really comparable.

We will crack him but it’s not comparable.
Oettinger has a top reputation though, and his stats were weak early in the season and then strong in the end. Silovs gained a reputation during the series

Either way, both started strong and finished weaker.

Reactions: Oilhawks

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
And yet....they lost.
Generally the "deserve to win" opinions are reserved for the team that just lost.
Not at all.
The point of that graphic was to refute your contention that the Oilers outshot the Panthers and that was about it.
Here is what you said....
The Oilers outshot the Panthers aaaaaaand that's about it.
That was just not accurate and thats what I was pointing out with that graphic.

Last edited:
Reactions: Senor Catface

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
Interesting stat I just heard.

Last time a Goalie Started the SCF finals with a shutout was Luongo in 2011. Nucks won Game 1 and 2 at home, and ended up losing the series.

If I remember correctly, the Nucks were the heavy favorites that series too.

I forgot what happened with Thomas. He was insulted somehow and went all world in goal.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I forgot what happened with Thomas. He was insulted somehow and went all world in goal.
Yeh that looks like part of the story of how Boston turned it around. They also eventually got to Luongo and destroyed him in some games, which bodes well for the Oilers. Here's the Series in a nutshell:

June 1Boston Bruins0–1Vancouver Canucks
June 4Boston Bruins2–3OTVancouver Canucks
June 6Vancouver Canucks1–8Boston Bruins
June 8Vancouver Canucks0–4Boston Bruins
June 10Boston Bruins0–1Vancouver Canucks
June 13Vancouver Canucks2–5Boston Bruins
June 15Boston Bruins4–0Vancouver Canucks

Reactions: Oilhawks

Ragdoll

Feb 15, 2018
Swap Vinny and Kulak around.

Nurse has played with VD before and been ok. Kulak and Broberg might be a fast, swift skating duo.

2 rookies in that lower pair might be alright, but I wouldn’t go there just yet.
Vinny's biggest negative is that he's brutal at moving the puck and isn't a very strong skater. Against this forecheck, I don't know if he would survive. The more likely scenario is they just go Nurse - Kulak and Broberg - Ceci again, can't see Knobby scratching Ceci. Don't love it but I never want to see Nurse - Ceci ever again. They are like oil and water.

Reactions: guymez

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
So I guess slashes to the hands don’t count on Breakaways when you are on the PP. Nuge took one right on the hand when making his backhand deke.

Like I said, due to game management the refs won’t call everything. So the team that does more infractions gets the officiating advantage.
Lots of chatter about how our guys weren't trying to go up top on Bob, and you've identified the biggest reason. Everybody and their dog knows what his weaknesses are, but it's hard to get there when your hands are constantly getting whacked. I lost track how many direct cross checks to the hands weren't called last night, blatant ones that the refs usually loves calling.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Lots of chatter about how our guys weren't trying to go up top on Bob, and you've identified the biggest reason. Everybody and their dog knows what his weaknesses are, but it's hard to get there when your hands are constantly getting whacked. I lost track how many direct cross checks to the hands weren't called last night, blatant ones that the refs usually loves calling.
This is what gets me. How is it that the standard just keeps changing? This is stuff they were calling in every previous series. Now its not called.
Why is it thet the League seems determined to handicap the more skilled players and elevate the less skilled players as the importance of the games increase?
This puts a burden on the more talented teams.
Its like the League just doesnt understand what their bread and butter is.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Hilarious listening to the Barkov dick sucking after Game 1. On Chiclets they are praising him for that play he made on Leon Draisaitl on the PP where he forced Leon out of the zone.

"Barkov closed him off on the right side, then left side, and just pushed him out of the zone"

"Barkov was like Neo in the matrix..."

"Leon looked shocked, no one has ever done that to him"

Maybe Leon looked "shocked" cause he never got slashed so blatantly without getting a sniff at a call. Barkov slashes Leon between the hands and then on the wrist to complete that defensive play lol. If Penalties actually counted when you are on the PP (and we all know they don't) that defensive wizardry gets interpreted entirely different.

Then on this same PP, Barkov also watched Nuge sneak right past him for a breakaway. On another PP later in the game we see Barkov leave Hyman all alone net front to attempt to go backhand top cheddar. Then on a PP later in the game Barkov gets the puck and fails to clear it with Draisaitl intercepting the weak clearing attempt on the boards. Gets the puck again and again fails to clear cause of Draisaitls pressure. Then off the Barkov TURNOVER he gets turned inside out on a dangerous give and go chance we create for Leon to get a dangerous shot off that turns into a Rebound for Nuge's near empty net chance. On another play in the 3rd period, Barkov gets a loose puck in his zone, whiffs the clearing attempt, gets stripped by Hyman which turns into a 3 way passing play where McD gets a cross crease redirect chance on net off a Drai feed.

Barkov is good. But he's not some perfect defensive force that never makes a mistake and clamps down on everything like "Neo in the Matrix". Nearly 6 EXPECTED GOALS FOR we generated this game, many of which with Barkov on the ice.

Here's the slash number 2 on Leon btw on the "Matrix" play:

Attachments

• IMG_8341.jpeg
    IMG_8341.jpeg
    199.1 KB · Views: 2

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
She works in the oil fields…she won’t much longer because along with good, hardworking people- there are a ton of assholes who will take this too far
Construction workers have a bad reputation when it comes to calling out the ladies. I can only imagine how Oil Rig workers would be.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
The slashes were ridiculous. Nuge took a blatant one on his breakaway. Leon takes two slashes while we had the PP where Barkov gets credit for being a “Neo from the Matrix” for that defensive play.

Attachments

• IMG_8341.jpeg
    IMG_8341.jpeg
    199.1 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: bellagiobob

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
The slashes were ridiculous. Nuge took a blatant one on his breakaway. Leon takes two slashes while we had the PP where Barkov gets credit for being a “Neo from the Matrix” for that defensive play.

When I saw that live, I thought to myself "they could have called 3 separate slashing penalties on Barkov on that one single play". I watched it again after, and I was 100% correct.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
When I saw that live, I thought to myself "they could have called 3 separate slashing penalties on Barkov on that one single play". I watched it again after, and I was 100% correct.
For sure. And this has always been right up Paul Maurice's alley. Keep in mind this is the same guy that has personal vendettas against Referees in this League. Same guy that got his Jets to clamp down on the Oilers offence with a barrage of uncalled cross checks before the League smartened up and realized that hey, crosschecks should actually be penalties.

I have no doubt in my mind that PoMo KNOWS that penalties while you are down a man won't get called. Slashes to hands allowed if need be cause you know the Refs ain't calling shit to make it a 5 on 3.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Also apparently not a Slash. Not a penalty nor a penalty shot. I mean the Ref is only staring DIRECTLY at it:

Attachments

• IMG_8343.jpeg
    IMG_8343.jpeg
    230.2 KB · Views: 1

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
This is what gets me. How is it that the standard just keeps changing? This is stuff they were calling in every previous series. Now its not called.
Why is it thet the League seems determined to handicap the more skilled players and elevate the less skilled players as the importance of the games increase?
This puts a burden on the more talented teams.
Its like the League just doesnt understand what their bread and butter is.
Gary has believed since day one that his bread and butter is parity, amongst teams and players alike. He sees franchise values increase, oblivious to how much more they could have increased if the stars wasn't treated like a disease by the league. When you have the SC final and some in the FLA media don't even know who McDavid is, you've failed your job miserably.

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
Yeh that looks like part of the story of how Boston turned it around. They also eventually got to Luongo and destroyed him in some games, which bodes well for the Oilers. Here's the Series in a nutshell:

June 1Boston Bruins0–1Vancouver Canucks
June 4Boston Bruins2–3OTVancouver Canucks
June 6Vancouver Canucks1–8Boston Bruins
June 8Vancouver Canucks0–4Boston Bruins
June 10Boston Bruins0–1Vancouver Canucks
June 13Vancouver Canucks2–5Boston Bruins
June 15Boston Bruins4–0Vancouver Canucks

Yikes I forgot about that 8 1 thrashing. If we do something like that at home to the Panthers... bobrovsky is holding his team together. They could have easily lost to rangers.

So, basically- she didn’t understand the fundamental concept of actions and consequences. She works in the oil fields…she won’t much longer because along with good, hardworking people- there are a ton of assholes who will take this too far
Ah yes the oil field. Why am I not surprised.

Reactions: foshizzle

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Nuge, Hyman, Henrique take notes. THIS is how you beat Bob doing the Forehand Backhand Deke:

Although in their defence, Kreider did get him going Forehand Backhand Low, but Bob over committed on that one. When he's dialed in and tracking well he probably doesn't over commit, probably should go for the Backhand high anyways:

Last edited:

mkatcherin00

Apr 2, 2023
I don't really understand the point of buying it.

Anyone with a basic knowledge of website building could have an almost exact copy out in a week.

If Sportsnet was smart, they'd hire some people and a get a version going ASAP. That's a shitload of traffic they could bring to their site.
Don't get it either. I could pay a few guys in India and they could copy this site within a week

Hilarious listening to the Barkov dick sucking after Game 1. On Chiclets they are praising him for that play he made on Leon Draisaitl on the PP where he forced Leon out of the zone.

"Barkov closed him off on the right side, then left side, and just pushed him out of the zone"

"Barkov was like Neo in the matrix..."

"Leon looked shocked, no one has ever done that to him"

Maybe Leon looked "shocked" cause he never got slashed so blatantly without getting a sniff at a call. Barkov slashes Leon between the hands and then on the wrist to complete that defensive play lol. If Penalties actually counted when you are on the PP (and we all know they don't) that defensive wizardry gets interpreted entirely different.

Then on this same PP, Barkov also watched Nuge sneak right past him for a breakaway. On another PP later in the game we see Barkov leave Hyman all alone net front to attempt to go backhand top cheddar. Then on a PP later in the game Barkov gets the puck and fails to clear it with Draisaitl intercepting the weak clearing attempt on the boards. Gets the puck again and again fails to clear cause of Draisaitls pressure. Then off the Barkov TURNOVER he gets turned inside out on a dangerous give and go chance we create for Leon to get a dangerous shot off that turns into a Rebound for Nuge's near empty net chance. On another play in the 3rd period, Barkov gets a loose puck in his zone, whiffs the clearing attempt, gets stripped by Hyman which turns into a 3 way passing play where McD gets a cross crease redirect chance on net off a Drai feed.

Barkov is good. But he's not some perfect defensive force that never makes a mistake and clamps down on everything like "Neo in the Matrix". Nearly 6 EXPECTED GOALS FOR we generated this game, many of which with Barkov on the ice.

Here's the slash number 2 on Leon btw on the "Matrix" play:
They will keep doing this shit too. We need to physically slash them to injure wrists if our guys are serious about winning. Hack to injure

Reactions: Duke74

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad