Management GM Pierre Dorion/Front Office Thread - Part IX [Mod Warning in post 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Nice to see the evolution in here

Dorion used to get crucified for what he said

Now he's getting crucified for what he doesn't say

He’s a dunce. He says he doesn’t want to make any bold predictions and 5 seconds later is saying “we have 2 superstars but I won’t say their names” and “we’ll make the playoffs for 10 years but maybe not next year” and “our coach has done everything we’ve asked but I’m not sure if he’s back”

He says stupid things and is bombastic and at the same time wants to seem calculated, he’s out of his depth.

Reactions: Larionov

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Read Ian's newest article.
I read it. Listened to the interview he embedded too

Dorion called his prediction bold. Optimistic. Ian left out the bold part. Left out the pandemic part.

Like I said, he used to get criticized for what he said. I have always felt he doesn't handle media well and used to get pushed to say something that he maybe shouldn't have said. He's learned. He shuts it down now. Not going there. And he's getting criticized for it.

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
I read it. Listened to the interview he embedded too

Dorion called his prediction bold. Optimistic. Ian left out the bold part. Left out the pandemic part.

Like I said, he used to get criticized for what he said. I have always felt he doesn't handle media well and used to get pushed to say something that he maybe shouldn't have said. He's learned. He shuts it down now. Not going there. And he's getting criticized for it.
He never got pushed. He just said stuff. Now he got pushed and won't answer, which is answering, in a way. Not going where? The playoffs? Who knows?

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Heartbreaking to the PD haters who have argued for ages that we don’t use or like analytics, based on zero information beyond personal dislike.

It just another weapon removed from the arsenal.
What’s heartbreaking is he loves analytics and expected goals but totally disregarded those things when acquiring Talbot.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
What’s heartbreaking is he loves analytics and expected goals but totally disregarded those things when acquiring Talbot.
Easy to say in hindsight

go read the first 5 pages of the signing thread

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Easy to say in hindsight

go read the first 5 pages of the signing thread

Talbots numbers were his numbers.

I’m not gm. None of us are. It’s up to Dorion and his staff to find good players.

In the moment. A fan might think “yeah Talbot. All star game, been around a while”. But upon looking at the numbers…Talbot was not all that great last year.

So my point is the same. Dorion, at best, disregarded the analytics on Talbot last year to acquire him

Reactions: Bileur

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Talbots numbers were his numbers.

I’m not gm. None of us are. It’s up to Dorion and his staff to find good players.

In the moment. A fan might think “yeah Talbot. All star game, been around a while”. But upon looking at the numbers…Talbot was not all that great last year.

So my point is the same. Dorion, at best, disregarded the analytics on Talbot last year to acquire him

Can we all agree Dorion’s Senators:

A+ for amateur drafting and development

F- for pro player acquisitions and evaluations

Reactions: RyCam and Bileur

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Tunnah43, he is a A+ for contract signings

as always you are 100% correct:

Matt Murray
Micheal Del Zotto
Matheiu Joseph (thanks for not scoring at even strengthen that’s really hard to do in a full season)
Colin White
Nikita Zaitsev
Cam Talbot

(Just what he did this season)

• Love
Reactions: AchtzehnBaby

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I think you could get him for cheap but I’m not as confident in Soogard and Forsberg handling the load next season (especially with Forsberg coming off double MCL tears). Anaheim has had a terrible Defence and Gibson can be the type of goalie to steal playoff series (if afforded that opportunity).

Friedman speculating that he’d be willing to go to a contender and, assuming we plan to contend next season, he’d be a good option to shore up the position. Probably can get the ducks to retain a bit more.
lol , brutal contract he has, terrible idea.

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
Dorion’s season ending press conference:
3AF33866-1D8A-4330-9471-D799015C6527.jpeg

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Your captain is yelling he’s going to win the Cup in the market, you yourself just said they will be in the playoffs for 10 years but when a reporter asked you where you see your team next year you’re afraid to say it.

Leadership is about being brave and asking those around you to be brave. If your point is he’s afraid of the fanbase reaction to expecting this rebuilding team to make the playoffs - this explains everything. It’s why Dorion has never felt comfortable here, his legacy of him and Melnyck talking down the fans shows he has at best an ackward legacy with the fans and at worse he is afraid of fan reaction
He told Claire he’d answer her question in September, when he knew what his roster looked like.
Sorry you didn’t hear that part, or didn’t fit your narrative.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010
He told Claire he’d answer her question in September, when he knew what his roster looked like.
Sorry you didn’t hear that part, or didn’t fit your narrative.
Pierre’s answer comes off like he’s a fan of the team and an impartial observer of the roster, not the architect of it.

It’s his job to improve the quality of the roster. A result where we make the playoffs next season would be an indication of a job well done. Missing the playoffs would mean the opposite.

Why he won’t step up and own his shit is beyond me.

Reactions: bicboi64

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
Interesting off season. If the sale drags just a bit.. I would say the most likely scenario is PD gets the draft and the start of the season to prove himself.

Which means he will feel pressure to win. Which means he will keep Debrincat unless he gets a hockey deal he likes (he won't). I think he'll try and re-sign Formenton because he's good unless owners tell him otherwise, for the same reason - pressure to win and keep his job and trading him is almost certainly going to make us a worse team on paper.

Scary times lol.

Reactions: DrEasy

caymanmew

May 18, 2014
Ottawa
Pierre’s answer comes off like he’s a fan of the team and an impartial observer of the roster, not the architect of it.

It’s his job to improve the quality of the roster. A result where we make the playoffs next season would be an indication of a job well done. Missing the playoffs would mean the opposite.

Why he won’t step up and own his shit is beyond me.

Likely he is not wanting to make those types of statements until new owners are in and confirmed his job. It seems reasonable to wait to set season expectations until he is confirmed as our GM for nets season.

Same for the coach, he can't commit because we don't have our owners yet.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Can we all agree Dorion’s Senators:

A+ for amateur drafting and development

F- for pro player acquisitions and evaluations
Current 2022 -23 Roster:

Signed - Giroux, Brassard, Zub, Kelly --- Forsberg - waivers claim

Trade - DeBrincat, Mathieu, Gambrell, Watson, Gauthier, Brown, Chychrun, Hamonic, Holden, Brannstrom, Norris, Talbot

Drafted - Tkachuk, Batherson, Stutzle, Pinto, Kastelic, Chabot, Sanderson, Kleven, Greig, JBD, Sogaard, Merilainen

Just looking at this it becomes apparent that signing or trading for good players is difficult & that good teams don't trade away their good players until they start trending down. Building a winner comes from the draft & that is how this team was built for the most part & they have tried to fill holes from there. They got real lucky Giroux & Brassard wanted to play here.

I imagine most teams are similar where you win some trades & you lose some trades, you win some signings & you lose some signings, you win some drafts & you lose some drafts. Right now they are trending up & need to fill a few more holes over the summer.

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA
Is this when Ian asked about Jbd and Thomson...Dorion says something like "I guess you didn't hear my other interview, I'll go over it again for you."
Then Ian asks him about being the only gm/coach to miss the pkayoffs for 4 years in a row and not get fired.
Lol
Well Ian definitely clapped back in his article

So on Monday morning, Dorion was asked why the rebuild has taken longer to bear fruits of success than he originally anticipated at the start of this process.

“I don’t think I ever said that,” Dorion replied. “If I did, please find those quotes and we’ll talk about it.”

I did find those quotes — starting at the 12:50 mark of this video from April 2019.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad