Management GM Pierre Dorion/Front Office Thread - Part IX [Mod Warning in post 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Senovision

May 23, 2011
We need to go out and get at least a 1A. or another 1B starting/ tandem goalie, because 1.) we don't know how well Forsberg will play after his surgeries and 2.) we don't know how well Sogaard will play IF Forsberg was to get injured again.
We can't roll the dice! We need certainty in the nets. I would like to see our goalies be around 2.70 GAA or better and around .915 save percentage or better next year. Next year is too big of a season to roll the dice at the most important position. This team has taken steps to improve the defence, and at the forward positions, and we need to this at goaltending position.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
Heartbreaking to the PD haters who have argued for ages that we don’t use or like analytics, based on zero information beyond personal dislike.

It just another weapon removed from the arsenal.

Ummm in THIS interview he acknowledged he NOW looks at analytics and made a joke about it.
So not really sure what your flex is here.

Also with respect to your previous post abt Pierre explaining why he brought in “character players” etc. yeah we know….that wasn’t ever the issue.
The issue is no one told Pierre he had to bring in garbage players & overpay for them and/or overpay them (like delZotto for example) to teach that lesson.
Josh Brown?! FFS (since that’s the example Pierre used) you can have a character guy who is a legit bottom pairing guy and not an 8th defenceman lol

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Which of Dorions moves in the past 12 months have been driven by analytics?
What does that even mean, no-one knows the answer, but I’d bet it was a part of the process.

Ummm in THIS interview he acknowledged he NOW looks at analytics and made a joke about it.
So not really sure what your flex is here.

Also with respect to your previous post abt Pierre explaining why he brought in “character players” etc. yeah we know….that wasn’t ever the issue.
The issue is no one told Pierre he had to bring in garbage players & overpay for them and/or overpay them (like delZotto for example) to teach that lesson.
Josh Brown?! FFS (since that’s the example Pierre used) you can have a character guy who is a legit bottom pairing guy and not an 8th defenceman lol
Like the D guy we let go, and another team gave him 4 million.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
All in all it was a nothing press conference by a guy reasonably secure about the short term but probably seeing the writing on the wall he's gone as soon as the new ownership group is in place and has had a few months to feel things out.

Nothing catastrophic planned. A man out of ideas who has still not made the playoffs.

StoicSensFan

ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ
Feb 6, 2014
He wasn’t at all though. He very clearly didn’t want to overstep, and was pretty clear that setting expectations for next season should be done at camp before next season once the roster is set, and also should be set by whomever the GM is at that time.

Like I said earlier, this was a much more mature GM presser. We forget that it’s not just the team that has been developing over these years, our GM and coach were also rookies.
Guess I was reading between the lines a bit when he said near the beginning that he's going to try to sign one of their star players to a long term contract this summer. Could mean Sanderson or DeBrincat

Reactions: Ice-Tray

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA
Pierre’s presser today proved to me that we need to go in another direction. I was willing to give him another chance because of the Chychrun move and the melnym shackles being off but holy shit this guy took absolutely zero accountability in the team missing for 6 straight years. He also didn’t relay any expectations or accountability for his coaching staff or his players.

Yes of course you need to make the playoffs now. I get he’s been burned by statements in the past but this is why our organization is pure shit when it comes to compete level vs other teams. We fold, there is no winning culture. Get this moron out.

Even Marek talked about it today in his podcast about how Dorion came off as if he was ‘patting himself on the back’ for a job well done….just sucking up to new owners or another GM role elsewhere. He is only about himself

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Pierre’s presser today proved to me that we need to go in another direction. I was willing to give him another chance because of the Chychrun move and the melnym shackles being off but holy shit this guy took absolutely zero accountability in the team missing for 6 straight years. He also didn’t relay any expectations or accountability for his coaching staff or his players.

Yes of course you need to make the playoffs now. I get he’s been burned by statements in the past but this is why our organization is pure shit when it comes to compete level vs other teams. We fold, there is no winning culture. Get this moron out.

Even Marek talked about it today in his podcast about how Dorion came off as if he was ‘patting himself on the back’ for a job well done….just sucking up to new owners or another GM role elsewhere. He is only about himself
Did he not say DJ achieved what was asked of him?

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA
Did he not say DJ achieved what was asked of him?
And then proceeded to not give me a ringing endorsement either. He’s just playing both sides of the fence and comes off so disingenuous. What a load of horseshit about ‘I couldn’t talk about it then but look how great Brayden Coburn was’…are you serious? This guy seems very insecure about his future and it shows

We need to go out and get at least a 1A. or another 1B starting/ tandem goalie, because 1.) we don't know how well Forsberg will play after his surgeries and 2.) we don't know how well Sogaard will play IF Forsberg was to get injured again.
We can't roll the dice! We need certainty in the nets. I would like to see our goalies be around 2.70 GAA or better and around .915 save percentage or better next year. Next year is too big of a season to roll the dice at the most important position. This team has taken steps to improve the defence, and at the forward positions, and we need to this at goaltending position.
John Gibson I think is the perfect goalie to go after.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

I've seen it from other sources as well .. Warren's headline

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Gibson? No way. He hasn't been good for a few years now. He's coasting on reputation but he's putting up some bad numbers and not exactly passing the eye test either. Even considering the weak corps in front of him, I'd rather ride Forsberg/Sogaard than trade assets for Gibson.

Senovision

May 23, 2011
And then proceeded to not give me a ringing endorsement either. He’s just playing both sides of the fence and comes off so disingenuous. What a load of horseshit about ‘I couldn’t talk about it then but look how great Brayden Coburn was’…are you serious? This guy seems very insecure about his future and it shows

John Gibson no thanks. $6.5 million contract.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Dorion is talking himself up in the media to try to convince whoever the new ownership group is to keep him on.

Can smell the desperation, especially the part where he's now willing to throw his coach under the bus to save his own skin, even though he's more to blame for the team missing the playoffs than DJ.

Reactions: Agent Zuuuub

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

Well first you said he never relayed any expectations but now you're saying he didn't give him a ringing endorsement? I think what he said was they evaluate everything at season's end.

What accountability do you want him to take? Kind of simply put: there hasn't been an objective of making the playoffs since the 19-20 season. We haven't made the playoffs. So the objective has been met ... hasn't it? Or have you developed a way to suck and blow at the same time? There wasn't an objective to make the playoffs so how can he be held accountable for not doing that.

Make up a false scenario. Lay blame for not achieving it. That's pretty much sums up what you've done.

And I'd rather leave Gibson in Anaheim.

Dorion is talking himself up in the media to try to convince whoever the new ownership group is to keep him on.

Can smell the desperation, especially the part where he's now willing to throw his coach under the bus to save his own skin, even though he's more to blame for the team missing the playoffs than DJ.
When did he throw DJ under the bus?

Reactions: Ice-Tray

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

Where did he throw his coach under the bus ?

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA
Well first you said he never relayed any expectations but now you're saying he didn't give him a ringing endorsement? I think what he said was they evaluate everything at season's end.

What accountability do you want him to take? Kind of simply put: there hasn't been an objective of making the playoffs since the 19-20 season. We haven't made the playoffs. So the objective has been met ... hasn't it? Or have you developed a way to suck and blow at the same time? There wasn't an objective to make the playoffs so how can he be held accountable for not doing that.

Make up a false scenario. Lay blame for not achieving it. That's pretty much sums up what you've done.

And I'd rather leave Gibson in Anaheim.

When did he throw DJ under the bus?
Lol yeah sure I’m the one making up the false scenarios whereas Dorion gets to push the goal posts wherever he pleases. From telling everyone that rebuild was over, to bringing in over the hill players and 2 years later playing it off as ‘I did it for the kids to bond with’ to now being non-commital on what the expectations would be for next season, this guy is only interested in saving face. Tkachuk made it clear what he expects out of the team, why was it so hard for Dorion? Why is he still trying to buy time on what he expects out of the team with the ‘ask me after the offseason’? I would expect the GM of a professional hockey team to echo exactly where he expects his team to be next year, and I’m glad Claire Hanna called him out on his BS.

The biggest problem I have with what you said is the notion that missing the playoffs = mission accomplished…exactly the loser attitude we need to get rid of.

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA
Gibson? No way. He hasn't been good for a few years now. He's coasting on reputation but he's putting up some bad numbers and not exactly passing the eye test either. Even considering the weak corps in front of him, I'd rather ride Forsberg/Sogaard than trade assets for Gibson.

John Gibson no thanks. $6.5 million contract.

Quacks have to retain 50% to even get the conversation started on Gibson
I think you could get him for cheap but I’m not as confident in Soogard and Forsberg handling the load next season (especially with Forsberg coming off double MCL tears). Anaheim has had a terrible Defence and Gibson can be the type of goalie to steal playoff series (if afforded that opportunity).

Friedman speculating that he’d be willing to go to a contender and, assuming we plan to contend next season, he’d be a good option to shore up the position. Probably can get the ducks to retain a bit more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad