Management GM Pierre Dorion/Front Office Thread - Part IX [Mod Warning in post 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
My main takeaways from PD's availability.

DJ stays if PD stays.

Debrincat will be moved if he won't sign long term at a price the team can digest. My opinion is it's in the 7's not 8M. He won't be here on a 1 year deal.

Formenton re-signing is awaiting the NHL investigation results. Door is not closed.

If they lose Lassi on waivers then that's okay.

Sens will be signing a 1 year goalie to tandem with Forsberg.

Brown is a Plan C re-signing. Ugh.

Bottom 6 needs an upgrade and it will happen.

JBD will be at worst our #7D next year.

Sanderson extension will be a priority if player and agent buy in.

Hamonic could be back if the numbers work.

Overall I'm happy with his vision if he can execute.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
icymi

Last edited:

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Well that was a fine interview. Nothing earth shattering. As of right now forsberg is our starter tho.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Interesting nugget from the 1200 interview.

Debrincat said he will let Pierre know of his intentions before the draft

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
From what Dorion said about upgrading the bottom 6, bringing back Hamonic for 1year and adding a1 year goalie via UFA or trade it sounds like they have a number in mind for a Debrincat extension and it’s not 8M AAV.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
From what Dorion said about upgrading the bottom 6, bringing back Hamonic for 1year and adding a1 year goalie via UFA or trade it sounds like they have a number in mind for a Debrincat extension and it’s not 8M AAV.
Also mentions something about extending Sanderson.. $ are limited. I expect DBC to be traded

Reactions: GCK

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
Claire: what are the expectations next year?

Pierre: I don’t want to make bold statements. I expect us to take it to the next level next year.

Claire: uhh…ok so what does that mean exactly? You just missed the playoffs, is that the next level?

Pierre: ….. ah f***.

lol, just nitpicking but that was funny.
Why we are leaving the door open for Brown is a mystery for me though.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Well I'm also a flames fan. Despite being handcuffed by owners hes done a great job drafting, signing RFAs, and trading. His issue is signing UFAs. But sens don't need to worry about that this season and next thanks to the extensions.
People are being way too hard on Treliving imo. He's done a fine job there.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Reactions: Senator Stanley

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I think Sutter is more to blame for the Flames' struggles this year than Treliving, who has generally done a pretty good job overall.

Of course Treliving as GM is ultimately responsible for Sutter's performance, and that was probably his downfall.

Reactions: Bjornar Moxnes

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
People are being way too hard on Treliving imo. He's done a fine job there.

He generally gets very good value in trades.

I was shocked how much he got in return for Tkachuk, even if Huberdeau has underachieved massively to date. No idea how he got Weegar and a 1st on top of a guy who had 115 points.

Same goes for Bennett. Two 2nds for a guy who had completely stagnated and regressed over 6 years as a Flame.

Hamilton for a 1st and two 2nds was a coup. As was swapping him, Ferland and Fox (who wasn't re-signing) for Lindholm and Hanifin.

Toffoli and Zadorov were great pickups too.

Worst trade was probably a 1st + two 2nds for Hamonic. Tried to re-create the Hamilton trade but it didn't work out at all. Pick ended up turning into Dobson too.

Reactions: DrEasy and bicboi64

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Ian asked Pierre if playoffs are expectations and Pierre said he is not going to make bold statements...

Sorry Pierre there are no other expectations if its not playoffs you can step aside.
That’s not exactly what he said. He said that he would answer all of those types of expectation questions in the fall if he is still the GM of the team.

This was a solid interview. Dorion’s has come a long way as a GM in front of the mic, nice to see.

Also, it will be ignored by those why have ignored it since the start, but Dorion pretty clearly went through their plan and process of the rebuild. Explained why the brought in the guys they did, and why they took the slow and patient approach to building the team.

People may not appreciate the approach, but in a perfect world it would put an end to the handful of posters who have been pretending that we have been trying to make the playoffs all these years but fumbled, or that we were trying to bring in skilled players to win but failed to identify the right guys.

But this is far from a perfect world…

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
He generally gets very good value in trades.

I was shocked how much he got in return for Tkachuk, even if Huberdeau has underachieved massively to date. No idea how he got Weegar and a 1st on top of a guy who had 115 points.

Same goes for Bennett. Two 2nds for a guy who had completely stagnated and regressed over 6 years as a Flame.

Hamilton for a 1st and two 2nds was a coup. As was swapping him, Ferland and Fox (who wasn't re-signing) for Lindholm and Hanifin.

Toffoli and Zadorov were great pickups too.

Worst trade was probably a 1st + two 2nds for Hamonic. Tried to re-create the Hamilton trade but it didn't work out at all. Pick ended up turning into Dobson too.
I think he did a good job given his restraints, almost like Dorion, but he's better at spending money and player evaluation, but Murray Edwards is a meddling GM as well. Not sure how much Treliving actually wanted extend Huberdeau for $10 million, but that deal is probably going to stop the Flames from competing for a cup. I'd be open to Treliving because his player evaluation is better than Dorions, but at the same time, jsut nervous he'll overpay someone to try and keep us competitive when we haven't even made the playoffs yet

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I think Sutter is more to blame for the Flames' struggles this year than Treliving, who has generally done a pretty good job overall.

Of course Treliving as GM is ultimately responsible for Sutter's performance, and that was probably his downfall.
I think Markstrom going from one of the best goalies in the league statistically to one of the worst, while having a backup with sub .900 save% is their biggest issue.

Sutter close behind them.

Huberdeau having his worst season as a pro is 3rd.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal

DJ stays if PD stays.

Debrincat will be moved if he won't sign long term at a price the team can digest. My opinion is it's in the 7's not 8M. He won't be here on a 1 year deal.

Formenton re-signing is awaiting the NHL investigation results. Door is not closed.

I didn't get the sense that he would bring back DJ guaranteed next year if he stays. He said they both have contracts and skirted around answering the question directly.

Re: DBC he said they'll qualify him and then look at all the options available which doesn't imply he won't be here at all on a 1 year deal.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria

DJ stays if PD stays.

A few small tweaks to your list to clarify for those who haven’t listened.

1- will evaluate the coaching staff shortly and make recommendations to new ownership. Said DJ has done everything asked of him.

2- No comment on Formy due to ongoing investigation, next question.

3- Wants to sign DBC but players wants to see what the new ownership situation is. Made not reference to trading him or his rights at all.

4- Said that they have two young D and that JBD would have stayed up if they were still in it. Said it’s his spot to lose. Said Lassi is the most skilled D prospect but needs to work in his consistency. Said that if they lose him on waivers that is sometimes what happens with prospects and they’ll accept it.

He was saying they're going to sign DeBrincat long term if he wants to stay

Knowing Pierre, he was probably stopping himself from saying we're winning the cup next season.
He wasn’t at all though. He very clearly didn’t want to overstep, and was pretty clear that setting expectations for next season should be done at camp before next season once the roster is set, and also should be set by whomever the GM is at that time.

Like I said earlier, this was a much more mature GM presser. We forget that it’s not just the team that has been developing over these years, our GM and coach were also rookies.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I didn't get the sense that he would bring back DJ guaranteed next year if he stays. He said they both have contracts and skirted around answering the question directly.

Re: DBC he said they'll qualify him and then look at all the options available which doesn't imply he won't be here at all on a 1 year deal.
With Debrincat you need to look at everything he said.

If he wants to be here Dorion feels confident they can come to terms but if he doesn’t want to be here Dorion will protect the asset.

Reactions: Ice-Tray
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad