Management GM Pierre Dorion/Front Office Thread - Part IX [Mod Warning in post 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I wish we had taken JJ Peterka instead of Jarventie. Peterka would look good playing with Pinto.
Would've been cool to see him next to his linemate and friend Stu.

Given the chemistry with Brady-Norris, would've been nice to see another duo made of friends that played well together

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I said in this very thread I was wrong about the Gustavsson/Talbot trade, so this isn't the gotcha you think it is.
I wasn't really looking for a gotcha

See the post where I responded to gck. This is the NHL, where there are hockey people at every table. You win some, you lose some.

You liked the idea of the trade at the time.

It didn't work out. Some trades don't

I just don't get being head cheerleader screaming about a poor trade when you were good with it when the deal was done. Hindsight.

Reactions: Golden_Jet

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
I wasn't really looking for a gotcha

See the post where I responded to gck. This is the NHL, where there are hockey people at every table. You win some, you lose some.

You liked the idea of the trade at the time.

It didn't work out. Some trades don't

I just don't get being head cheerleader screaming about a poor trade when you were good with it when the deal was done. Hindsight.
I liked the goal of getting goaltending help. Talbot made me think "Hmmm. Ok. Only 1 year. That's Ok....but Talbot. Let's wait and see." When it was Gus going the other way...I just felt the up and down, covid craziness was not the best situation to evaluate him, along with how our team played. We traded Brass for 1rst, 3rd, Ian Cole and Gus. We wanted Jarry but Pitts said no so we got Gus instead and they added the 3rd. I think we have Lassi left from that trade. I might have mixed it up, because we flipped Cole fir a pick right away too. It's hard to follow the trade tree ya know. Lol.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Would've been cool to see him next to his linemate and friend Stu.

Given the chemistry with Brady-Norris, would've been nice to see another duo made of friends that played well together
Wasn’t it Reichel with whom Tim was friends ?

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
Wouldn't be surprised if he was. All 3 played on the same PP unit with Germany as well.

Apparently, Stu is good friends with Seider as well
If we had the 2nd pick that year do think Dorion would have still taken Stu?

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I liked the goal of getting goaltending help. Talbot made me think "Hmmm. Ok. Only 1 year. That's Ok....but Talbot. Let's wait and see." When it was Gus going the other way...I just felt the up and down, covid craziness was not the best situation to evaluate him, along with how our team played. We traded Brass for 1rst, 3rd, Ian Cole and Gus. We wanted Jarry but Pitts said no so we got Gus instead and they added the 3rd. I think we have Lassi left from that trade. I might have mixed it up, because we flipped Cole fir a pick right away too. It's hard to follow the trade tree ya know. Lol.
I liked the idea of that trade too. Vet goalie. 914 career save percentage. Starter. Probably a mid tier starter.

It just didn't work out right from the get go with a camp injury. It was imo a smart play. Injuries prevented any consistency for the guy coming in. The guy that left had a very good year.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
You're the king of hindsight Hale.

A quick check of the Talbot thread and you were good with the Gus Talbot trade at the time

GMs don't get the benefit of looking back over the year, circling the best trade and then saying that's what I should have done. But that's your schtick.

Hale, this is what you said when the Talbot trade went down

I'm a fan of this one

Talbot has been a decent starter the last 3 years

Provides a lot more insurance than Gustavsson in case Forsberg goes the way of Hammond/Condon

It's right there on page 1 of the Talbot thread. 4 posts in.

Care to comment on that?
Gms get the benefit of being paid massive amounts of money and access to resources we do not.

We don’t watch Minnesota. Once you get past bullshit hockey narratives “stable veteran” guess what. Talbot wasn’t that good last year. As fans we tend to beleive this shit. Dorion is the pro after all? E and his scouts watched a ton of Minnesota hopefully as they traded for their goalie. And Dorion regularly talks about expected goals. But he seems to have ignored that when selecting Talbot. So yeah. Upon digging deeper. It was a bit of a head scratching trade.

At absolute best we traded a not good young goalie for a not good old goalie. And at worst…well we’re living the worst case scenario

Last edited:

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Wasn't sure where to bring this up but there was an interesting post on Reddit today.

The Ottawa Senators currently hold the longest drought in the league for a 100 point regular season, the last of which was in 2006-2007. Yes, even Phoenix and Buffalo have had a more recent 100 point season than we have.

And the vast majority of teams have had one in 2015 or later.

We have truly been mediocre as hell for almost two decades. Karlsson's playoff performance is the only thing that prevented us from being an absolute joke across all metrics of success. Is the 100 point number arbitrary? Yeah sort of, but to have a drought going back 16 years is terrible, especially when just about every other team seems to be able to pull it off once in a while.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

giphy.gif

Big Frank with the Big Call. I'll rate his prediction 9/10 ; I am a little disappointed its not higher.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Sounds like a great idea to bring in a guy who can’t get it done in the play offs with a young skilled, to a young skilled team that is finally poised to make the playoffs.

• Haha
Reactions: AchtzehnBaby

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
As opposed to what? The guy who can't even get to the playoffs?
As opposed any other option that makes sense.

You’re arguments seem to be devoid of context so I get why you’d think that us brining in a guy who is only available due to repeated playoff failure would be a good idea.

No other options… lol

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
with the reported $450 Million debt being carried by the franchise, can you possibly try to understand why he might have ran a lean operation?

heck, half of the reported offers for the franchise, would pay off the debt .

Would have been very helpful for him to not use the team as an ATM machine to finance all his endeavours after he blew his stack of Biovail holdings at an all time low (which of course only happened because he was going to teach a lesson to the board that threw him out for being a full of shit abusive lying idiot - and then of course the stock dramatically turned around after he left - sort of like the Sens!)

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
As opposed any other option that makes sense.

You’re arguments seem to be devoid of context so I get why you’d think that us brining in a guy who is only available due to repeated playoff failure would be a good idea.

No other options… lol
it is going to be a long summer for the Dorion haters… a looooooong hot summer.

Same crew who said Mann would be back with a lawsuit.

Neil Patrick Harris

Now sponsored by Zoom™
Aug 23, 2008
Ottawa
Wasn't sure where to bring this up but there was an interesting post on Reddit today.

The Ottawa Senators currently hold the longest drought in the league for a 100 point regular season, the last of which was in 2006-2007. Yes, even Phoenix and Buffalo have had a more recent 100 point season than we have.

And the vast majority of teams have had one in 2015 or later.

We have truly been mediocre as hell for almost two decades. Karlsson's playoff performance is the only thing that prevented us from being an absolute joke across all metrics of success. Is the 100 point number arbitrary? Yeah sort of, but to have a drought going back 16 years is terrible, especially when just about every other team seems to be able to pull it off once in a while.
That was something that had crossed my mind recently when thinking about next season.

Screw all this "Path to 96" and slipping into the playoffs stuff. 100 points - that's what I want - a nice, round, successful number.

Unrealistic? Probably, but I want a statement season next year that the Sens are back in Playoff Town.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
God I hope we don't bring in Dubas. Sure he's made adequate attempts to fill the Leafs depth and their stars have failed him, but he has zero backbone when it comes to contract negotiations. He caused all of their cap issues in the first place, and if we had Dubas handling Cat, he'd offer him $9.5 million aav right away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad