Management GM Pierre Dorion/Front Office Thread - Part IX [Mod Warning in post 1)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sens Vader

Jan 23, 2016
Very good interview. Also the way he talked about Tarasenko, you could tell in his voice he was holding back a giggle.
Makes me think something is up.

I read more into it when he was talking about Sanderson and said "Pat's his new agent, ironically enough he's Tarasenko's agent too"

I have too much hope, this is going to hurt

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Feels more like a GM waiting until the last minute to ask a question because he knows he may not like the answer.
The way Dorion explained it, he kept getting fed reasons he wasn't ready to sign,

Imo, he should have seta deadline for DBC to land prior to last year's deadline so he could make a move from a better position, but DBC certainly wasn't helping the situation from the sounds of things.

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
The way Dorion explained it, he kept getting fed reasons he wasn't ready to sign,

Imo, he should have seta deadline for DBC to land prior to last year's deadline so he could make a move from a better position, but DBC certainly wasn't helping the situation from the sounds of things.

Maybe. I think it was probably very ambiguous one way or another and Dorion sincerely though that if we could make the post season that would help things along.

There’s been no other indication that Cat led us along or pulled a Gaudreau.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Dorion actually contrasted the two situations, said he was far more hopeful wrt getting something done with Stone (which would be why we traded DBC now rather than waiting till next year's deadline)
I thought he said he didn't want to risk injury with Debrincat and end up with nothing. Hope vs Hope in the end.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Yeah no. Sorry. Listening to the interview now (replaying on 1200). That’s not how a gm should be talking. I know we’re used to it but him joking and giving behind the scenes details of the exit meeting. It’s just not professional.
Might enjoy it if he was 10 years retired telling stories from the old days but no we need a change asap to get some more professionalism here.

Of COURSE he says kubalik only had 7 less goals. Of course he says that. I would have bet $5000 he’d say that.
Such a predictable clown.

When he saw Brian Boucher in Vegas during the playoffs this year he let Brian know that his son is going to be a really good nhl player he just needs to play.
When Lloyd asked him if we were done hearing about “meaningful games” and can talk about playoffs now he said well…let’s just say we’ll play meaningful games for now and then revisit later on.

OK :)

Last edited:
Reactions: LuckyPierre

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
At some point, the guy in charge of the team needs to stop banking on a player, and do what needs to be done.

If we are constantly in a state where we are holding out hope, and hoping something changes, and trying to convince a player, we are going to continue to get burned.

Being a GM isn't easy, at all. Hard decisions need to be made, and many times it's not what you'd like.
I suspect in this case, PD never got a hard no but also never got a warm fuzzy either. So he moved him. Maybe he could have done better last TDL. Probably could have.

Idk we necessarily got burned on this one. We made a big move, it didn't work out on ice that well, had a positive impact in the community and we recouped assets.

Where we got burned was more the Stone situation

I also think DeBrincat burned himself. Didn't get the money or term he was looking for and it's kind of hard not to think that his own actions didn't contribute to that.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
They dont need to do that to add Sundqvist and Kleven should be starting in the AHL. There are going to be injuries they need depth. If anything they should be signing Sundqvist and another player. Id only be looking for guys on one year deals personally.

Tkachuk-Stutzle-Giroux
Kubalik-Norris-Batherson
Tatar -Pinto- Joseph
Smejkal - Kastelic - Sundqvist
Kelly - MacEwen - Sokolov

Sanderson - Zub
Chabot - Chychrun
Brannstrom - Hamonic
Kleven - JBD

Korpisalo
Forsberg

Thats a playoff team.
How can they afford all those guys?
Oh Aragorn you're funny. You're like a record that skips in the same spot ..trade Brannstrom...trade Brannstrom...trade Brannstrom
I've wanted to trade Joseph for quite some time too.
Suspect that he “caught wind” of some probable charges coming, and the heads up was a courtesy to allow him to take control of his future options sooner rather than later.

all kinds of rumblings that Leeder is returning to the organization.
I like Leeder a lot, I've had several exchanges with him & he is has been super good, really hope he comes back.
Whether the roster is set or not the expectation should be playoffs. Should have been last year as well
They were three games out of a playoff spot last yr, they came very close after a disasterous yr the yr before, huge improvement.
I guess. If DBC is stringing him along when, assuming you are correct, there was never any possibility he would extend, then it ceases to be just a player just exercising his right imo.

Alternatively, DBC may have been honestly torn, a guy with a preference to leave but open to staying under different circumstances, and was waiting to see if those circumstances ever occured. Or, maybe he was lying to himself the whole time. Who knows...
The agent & player have no obligation to tell GMs whether their intention is to re-sign or not. Players can easily string GMs along, but I'm more inclined to think his wife wanted to move back home with her young family & he wasn't about to throw her under the bus. I doubt it was about anything else other than returning home.
At some point, the guy in charge of the team needs to stop banking on a player, and do what needs to be done.

If we are constantly in a state where we are holding out hope, and hoping something changes, and trying to convince a player, we are going to continue to get burned.

Being a GM isn't easy, at all. Hard decisions need to be made, and many times it's not what you'd like.
What are you suggesting, should they have traded him at the TDL while they are trying to make the playoffs? PD would have been crucified for that.

Maybe they shouldn't have signed him in the first place, but then who was available that would have gotten them as close to making the playoffs? He was a 40 goal scorer who was available, they took a shot.

My guess is that he came here with good intentions & his wife was the one who wants to go home & their intention was to go home after next yr. It just came a yr earlier.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Not to mention that was said after the season was over.

That’s just a player trying to save some face when the writing is on the wall.
Kind of moving the goal posts here, that's a pretty clear indication but it apparently doesn't count?

We heard countless times he wasn't ready to decide throughout the season. That was just the most recent, but it started weeks after the trade.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Lol, everyone is just going to do the same stuff with the new people.

Haters are gonna hate, lovers are going to love, and a bunch of people in the middle with think they are objective and ‘realistic’!!

This is not the first change in personnel this board has gone through :)

I wonder if some Twitter mouth breather will start a Twitter account that posts #DorionOut ever day at 11:11 until Dorion like they had for Uncle Euge

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
Kind of moving the goal posts here, that's a pretty clear indication but it apparently doesn't count?

We heard countless times he wasn't ready to decide throughout the season. That was just the most recent, but it started weeks after the trade.

Not being ready to decide isn't the same as leading us on, at least in my mind. Not trying to move the goal posts.

Even using your example, he didn't say "yep just waiting for the sale to go through then I'm signing no worries".

At a certain point, maybe the TDL, Dorion probably should have said that he can't wait any longer and it's time for a serious discussion. I think he was happy to kick the can down the road though because he didn't want to have the conversation either.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
So you want Dorion to stay then?

As I said before, PD should be given a shot to prove his rebuild this year. He most likely will be replaced at some point, but it makes no sense to boot him this season.

“The damage is done…”

The rebuild and years under EM were a long hard process.

Things are looking good, and even though some people can make judgements based on their own armchair GM knowledge, we didn’t see the bounty of our fruits until last season. Barring another year of key injuries this will be an amazing season.

People who think bringing Alfredsson in to run as President, ‘any’ new coach, and some inexperienced GM in now are crazy. Being emotional on these decisions leads to failure.

Hopefully, Andlauer is smart and waits for the right replacements at the right time.

It is so critical to have the right leadership to get us a cup.

There are passionate fans, and there are fans that seem to feed off of extreme negativity and biased sentiments.

The DBC affair is over. This happens to other teams. No GM was going to get a better return. It was a shit place to be in.

Reactions: aragorn

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Dorion on tsn1200 this AM, said DeBrincat and his agent thought the team would be better and that why they weren't willing to negotiate mid season, mentioned the initial list DBC gave was 9 teams, expanded it after. Had more than one offer (allowed multiple teams to have extension talks) Detroit kept calling them.

I suspect like Duchene, DBC was hoping to have more immediate team success, when the opposite happened in Nov, doubt crept in and his mind went to other possibilities. Not helping matters was he was stuck behind Tkachuk on the 2nd line with a rookie center over his head.

Imo winning cures almost all ailments, I suspect DBC was sincere that he needed time to see if there was a fit, and maybe with more time the team could have shown him how he fit in, but with the season we had there were just to many unanswered questions.
Everything this kid says is bullshit. He showed up to his press conference wearing a Pistons hat lol. I guess he didn't have a picture of himself as a kid in his DRW bed spread and pyjamas. Come on guys. I don't know why he's being so elusive about it but it's pretty clear he only wanted to sign in Detroit and took a cut on AAV and term to do it too. He needs to be a man and admit to what he wanted. Like, who gives a f*** if you wanted to play in your hometown? But stop pretending you were going for these long walks or something trying to contemplate this existential decision about your future. And if he thinks he has more assurances of immediate team success in Detroit than Ottawa then there's really nothing else to be said about this soap opera. Enjoy playing in your hometown but stop pretending you ever really considered anything else.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Everything this kid says is bullshit. He showed up to his press conference wearing a Pistons hat lol. I guess he didn't have a picture of himself as a kid in his DRW bed spread and pyjamas. Come on guys. I don't know why he's being so elusive about it but it's pretty clear he only wanted to sign in Detroit and took a cut on AAV and term to do it too. He needs to be a man and admit to what he wanted. Like, who gives a f*** if you wanted to play in your hometown? But stop pretending you were going for these long walks or something trying to contemplate this existential decision about your future. And if he thinks he has more assurances of immediate team success in Detroit than Ottawa then there's really nothing else to be said about this soap opera. Enjoy playing in your hometown but stop pretending you ever really considered anything else.

It was smart move on his part, either of his own volition or upon advice of his agent. No point riling up the market of one of your divisional rivals for no reason.

I agree with you though and it's why he got bent over a bit on the contract.

Is there some kind of perfect storm of the team being competitive enough, making the playoffs, winning a few rounds, but NOT winning a Cup, and him ensconced firmly on the top line with career high numbers, leading to him staying?

I don't know, maybe, but it didn't happen, so it doesn't matter.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Yeah no. Sorry. Listening to the interview now (replaying on 1200). That’s not how a gm should be talking. I know we’re used to it but him joking and giving behind the scenes details of the exit meeting. It’s just not professional.
Might enjoy it if he was 10 years retired telling stories from the old days but no we need a change asap to get some more professionalism here.

Of COURSE he says kubalik only had 7 less goals. Of course he says that. I would have bet $5000 he’d say that.
Such a predictable clown.

When he saw Brian Boucher in Vegas during the playoffs this year he let Brian know that his son is going to be a really good nhl player he just needs to play.
When Lloyd asked him if we were done hearing about “meaningful games” and can talk about playoffs now he said well…let’s just say we’ll play meaningful games for now and then revisit later on.

OK :)
I think you’ve just gone too far down the rabbit hole of personal dislike. You cant help but slant everything to the negative, at times to the extreme. The strongest example is when PD was asked about the playoffs. The salient points he made was that last he said meaningful games at the TDL, and that’s what happened, this year he said he’d make
bold predictions to the media once the roster is set. That’s it. he hinted that signings and trades were still strong possibilities, and that he’d make his bold season prediction once the roster was set.

It was a solid candid interview about several
important topics that interest fans. Dorion gave several thoughtful, detailed, and informative answers to those questions.

He gave a lot of insight into the entire process of acquiring and ultimately trading DBC, and he explained the hopes and the gambles without making excuses. He admitted that the last goaltending swings didn’t work, and explained why they like Korpi, and why they think this time will be different.

It was a very solid interview from a fan perspective, it’s pretty much the degree of ease and candidness that we wish for from our GM. Next guy will likely be what you seem to now be pining for, and we’ll get very little information and lots of canned answers.

I’m enjoying the detailed information while we still get it.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
In a lot of ways DeBrincat played it perfectly if he wanted it to be relatively quiet.

He never really had to face much pressure on it because he kicked the can down the road until he was in hiding, and then he was moved and only faces questions with the new teams media that doesn't care. All he had to do was stay off social media and it's like nothing ever happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad