Management GM Pierre Dorion/Front Office Thread - Part IX [Mod Warning in post 1)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Anyone else only realize recently that the Sens gave up not only the 2023 1st and 2024 2nd, but also a 2026 2nd?

Could have sworn the deal was our 2023 1st + a conditional 2024 1st, which was basically guaranteed to end up being Washington's 2024 2nd.

What ended up as the 12th OVR pick + two future 2nds is pretty significant value to give up.

Chychrun better extend here, because only getting two years of him for that much value would hurt badly.

He seems to have some ties to the area so hopefully that makes it more likely he stays than DeBrincat.
Chychrun has stated prior and post trade that he wanted to come here. His grandparents live here and he spends his off seasons here. No guarantees he re-signs but never has there been a more likely player to stay.

GoSenatorsGo

Nov 9, 2007
Very good interview. Also the way he talked about Tarasenko, you could tell in his voice he was holding back a giggle.
Makes me think something is up.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Dorion on tsn1200 this AM, said DeBrincat and his agent thought the team would be better and that why they weren't willing to negotiate mid season, mentioned the initial list DBC gave was 9 teams, expanded it after. Had more than one offer (allowed multiple teams to have extension talks) Detroit kept calling them.

I suspect like Duchene, DBC was hoping to have more immediate team success, when the opposite happened in Nov, doubt crept in and his mind went to other possibilities. Not helping matters was he was stuck behind Tkachuk on the 2nd line with a rookie center over his head.

Imo winning cures almost all ailments, I suspect DBC was sincere that he needed time to see if there was a fit, and maybe with more time the team could have shown him how he fit in, but with the season we had there were just to many unanswered questions.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Best Dorion interview in a while. Explained the Debrincat situation well.
Imo it kind of feels like our lack of immediate success killed any chance of an extension, not that it was by any means a sure think even if we were winning.

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
Well judging by that interview, I fully expect Dorion to add at least one impactful forward.

Reactions: gab6511

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
I think what Dorion said was I'll set expectations when the roster is set.

What Nichols has tweeted here is vintage Nichols...and probably part and parcel of why he's a wannabe in this industry

Certainly a fair statement although Dorion has refused to commit to playoffs for a while now since he did it years ago and it made him look foolish.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Think we could have gone to the ECF and he’d still be out. He wanted to be in the States.
Maybe. But If it was really that sure of a thing though, we could have accommodated his wishes much earlier had he made it known.

We'll never know, but the way things paned out put just about every road block up in convincing him this was a good landing spot.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Maybe. But If it was really that sure of a thing though, we could have accommodated his wishes much earlier had he made it known.

We'll never know, but the way things paned out put just about every road block up in convincing him this was a good landing spot.
Of course, but at the same time, I don't think it was a secret, it has been reported by quite a few in season he had no/little intentions on staying, I doubt the Sens were ignorant of it.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Of course, but at the same time, I don't think it was a secret, it has been reported by quite a few in season he had no/little intentions on staying, I doubt the Sens were ignorant of it.
If Dorion is to be believed they were still holding out hope until the exit interview.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
And there lies the problem in my eyes
I guess. If DBC is stringing him along when, assuming you are correct, there was never any possibility he would extend, then it ceases to be just a player just exercising his right imo.

Alternatively, DBC may have been honestly torn, a guy with a preference to leave but open to staying under different circumstances, and was waiting to see if those circumstances ever occured. Or, maybe he was lying to himself the whole time. Who knows...

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I guess. If DBC is stringing him along when, assuming you are correct, there was never any possibility he would extend, then it ceases to be just a player just exercising his right imo.

Alternatively, DBC may have been honestly torn, a guy with a preference to leave but open to staying under different circumstances, and was waiting to see if those circumstances ever occured. Or, maybe he was lying to himself the whole time. Who knows...
At some point, the guy in charge of the team needs to stop banking on a player, and do what needs to be done.

If we are constantly in a state where we are holding out hope, and hoping something changes, and trying to convince a player, we are going to continue to get burned.

Being a GM isn't easy, at all. Hard decisions need to be made, and many times it's not what you'd like.

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013

Feels more like a GM waiting until the last minute to ask a question because he knows he may not like the answer.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Have not heard the interview, but Dorion has gotten much better at public interviews in the last while
Sorry. The last presser he did was very bad. I’ve heard him in interviews where he’s improved and others just as bad as ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad