Management GM Pierre Dorion/Front Office Thread - Part IX [Mod Warning in post 1)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
1st+2nd -> DeBrincat for 1 year -> 1st+Kubalik+4th?
7oa vs mystery 1st projected later end of the first given Det gets to pick which first they send, 38 OA vs mystery 4th.

It's a pretty clear downgrade, when you consider DeBrincat didn't have a great year and we missed the playoffs, it's a big whiff.

Maybe the off ice impact in terms of ticket sales, and corporate engagement along with making Ottawa a bit more of an exciting destination for players to want to come can justify it, but this is certainly a situation where we gave more value than we got.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Take out the Murray and Del Zotto signings (which were dumb from the moment they happened) and imagine how much more cap flexibility we’d have right now. Even when Dorion does good things, he has a patented one really dumb move every summer.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
The narrative on DeBrincat is clear.

Dorion was hoping to make the 2023 playoffs after 5 full seasons of missing the playoffs. There was likely a hope DeBrincat would stay when Dorion made the playoffs but even if he walked... our team gets playoff experience, DeBrincat has more value to other teams and most importantly for Dorion - people would forget we had missed the playoffs 5 seasons in a row.

But we failed to make the playoffs. And Dorion has been in damaged control mode. The alternative was we kept DeBrincat and let him walk or trade him at the deadline. And how do you justify that after 6 full seasons of missing the playoffs? It's a huge gamble to keep him and let him walk if we can't make the playoffs. It looks horrific if you trade him mid-season.

Dorion is managing failure, not building success. This sale can't close fast enough.

Alfie11

Feb 23, 2018
At the end of the day Dorion has missed on major trades - Duchesne, Murray and now Debrincat. Who knows if his goalie fix will work or be an anchor.

The Murray trade should have been enough. When the the new owner fully takes control, I really hope Dorion is removed as GM. He's already shaped so much of the rebuild (ie: not a lot of extra pieces for a new GM to work with) and I don't trust him to make the next big move.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
The narrative on DeBrincat is clear.

Dorion was hoping to make the 2023 playoffs after 5 full seasons of missing the playoffs. There was likely a hope DeBrincat would stay when Dorion made the playoffs but even if he walked... our team gets playoff experience, DeBrincat has more value to other teams and most importantly for Dorion - people would forget we had missed the playoffs 5 seasons in a row.

But we failed to make the playoffs. And Dorion has been in damaged control mode. The alternative was we kept DeBrincat and let him walk or trade him at the deadline. And how do you justify that after 6 full seasons of missing the playoffs? It's a huge gamble to keep him and let him walk if we can't make the playoffs. It looks horrific if you trade him mid-season.

Dorion is managing failure, not building success. This sale can't close fast enough.
Exactly this. The trade for Cat was for a minimum of two kicks at the playoffs can. First kick missed, and now the next kicks will have to be based on lesser assets than we had before the trade.

Big gamble that failed.

Last edited:

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I take solace in the fact that no way he survives another missed playoff season(I hope)

He should be fired the day Andlauer gets the keys.

What more do people need to see to be convinced that this guy isn't up to the job?

Now that Benning, Chiarelli, Fletcher, Chayka, Bowman and Hextall are all gone, there isn't a single GM left in this league that can be argued is worse at his job than Dorion.

Still pissed Andlauer couldn't get his guys installed as "interim" managers while the sale process finalizes, not that they would have been able to do much cleaning up Dorion's mess.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Oh I agree, but I think Andlauer sticks with him for at least a bit, especially since he doesn't get to make personnel decisions until near the start of the season.

There's no reason to wait. Dorion has proven he is a complete liability in his role and the longer he remains in it the worse off this franchise will be.

If he puts Staios or a different GM in place just prior to the season, it's not like they'll be blamed for poor performance.

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
Oh I agree, but I think Andlauer sticks with him for at least a bit, especially since he doesn't get to make personnel decisions until near the start of the season.

There's no reason not to fire him the moment the deal closes. I wouldn't touch DJ. It doesn't make sense to replace the coach right before the season. But a GM? I see no reason to wait.

SquidNasty

Dec 8, 2021
Fire every single employee who works for the organization besides the scouts, Ryan Bowness, concession workers and Sparticat.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
They got four pieces back for DBC, while Kubalik isn't as good he's still a top 9 player & they got a 1st rd pick back. It could always have been better but it could also have been worse. DBC only wanted to go to Detroit & wouldn't take any other offers. They wanted to go home & play in Detroit so they accomodated him & got the best they could from StevieY who could have made it tougher on them.

Now if they are able to sign Tarasenko (he comes for free) that would make this team much better & he would be a top six replacement for DBC. And if they trade Joseph & Brannstrom for Laughton they get even better, it's just a matter of fitting these guys under the cap. It would certainly be better than they have had for a while & they still have Forsberg & Kelly they could move to make room. And they still have Formenton they could move for something. They just need to get through this season & cap space opens up for next season.

Tkachuk - Stutzle - Tarasenko
Laughton
- Norris - Giroux
Kubalik - Pinto - Batherson

BrawlFan

Apr 17, 2009
Poor return on the face. But that first round pick will be good. Monster UFA season coming up so many guys are gonna move. Just don’t trade for Scott f***ing Laughton.

As with the Hamonic trade let’s see what the team looks like. Kubalik shouldn’t be the worst guy to re-sign and he is always top 3-4 scoring on whatever team he’s on. Meaning he’s generating the offence. He won’t have to do that here.

The first is the key.

But let’s just wait to see what this team looks like in September.

FireDJ

Jul 20, 2006
Alberta
Ugh Dorion is such a buffoon. He cannot trade. He cannot sign free agents. Drafting is the only "strength" and even that is a stretch.

Andlauer needs to get in here and revamp this front office and coaching staff pronto.

Reactions: branch
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad