Management GM Pierre Dorion/Front Office Thread - Part IX [Mod Warning in post 1)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Dorion on the phone with Korpisalo’s agent

1688350924705.gif

Ok, that’s the last one.

Hope he’s a good one.

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
I woudn't treat what I say as gospel like that but I'm flattered regardless.
It just makes it a really bad trade. Why get a rental when the team hadn't made the playoffs in 5 years? Should have kept the picks. You make a trade like that to get to the Conference Finals or Finals....not to get in for 1 year and then trade/let the player walk. Oh well.

Reactions: Cosmix

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
It just makes it a really bad trade. Why get a rental when the team hadn't made the playoffs in 5 years? Should have kept the picks. You make a trade like that to get to the Conference Finals or Finals....not to get in for 1 year and then trade/let the player walk. Oh well.

Cause he was trying to save his job.

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
But what if it was two years and in year two we actually made (make) some noise?

You don't have to agree but I'm pretty adamant that we were a playoff team last year with better injury luck and if that was the case it would have made us that much more of a threat this year to the point where the trade would have looked just fine.

In other words without injuries we were a 95 point team last year. If we were a 95 point team last year I would expect us to be a 100 point team this year. If we're a 100 point team this year with the added bonus of some playoff experience I would say that trade, and losing him for nothing in 2024, is perfectly rational.

Add to that that PD was selling hope and I think you have a perfectly reasonable acquisition, albeit with some risk.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Whether or not the risk was worth it is subjective, so I don't see how anyone ultimately wins these debates. Dorion stuck his neck out. It didn't work out. Now he's got his chance to try to neutralize some of it with the trade and do other things to try to make a winning team.

Mark Stones Spleen

Trouba's elbow
Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
He's not used to spending near the cap but does he know that we're allowed to go over it in the summer? Would be nice to plug a couple cheap holes.

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
The board was looking to oust PD last summer? That's just conjecture, right? I don't remember anything like that being leaked.

Weird post. Melnyk died and another year without playoffs would look bad for new ownership. He’s lucky the sale was such a gong show otherwise he’d already be canned.

He was trying to give the city some excitement. It was time to compete. He got us Giroux, DBC, Talbot and finally Chychrun. It didn't work because of injuries and goaltending but I think Dorion did a pretty good job trying to get us there.

Could have been part of it but I don’t think he cares about our excitement.

Reactions: bert and Fandlauer

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Weird post. Melnyk died and another year without playoffs would look bad for new ownership. He’s lucky the sale was such a gong show otherwise he’d already be canned.

Could have been part of it but I don’t think he cares about our excitement.
Fake news.

Rebuilding complete.

PD safe for now.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
The only reason that a contract extension is being talked about is that that’s what Ottawa would prefer.

DBC, in all likelihood, never wanted to sign a long term deal with anyone aside from a team he really wanted to go with, for a contract he wants.

It seems he’s not getting that kind of contract from teams he doesn’t want to go to in the first place.

Whether he wants to risk going to UFA and taking his chances, or sign a shorter term deal for less money than he and his agent were thinking is the issue now in my opinion.
Does it seem that?

DeBrincat provided a list. Dorion has talked trade. Dorion has said he's got to the point of allowing teams to talk to DeBrincat and alluded to those talks falling apart over term.

It seems to me that the teams he is interested in aren't interested in him with term. Or his list is a sham.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Does it seem that?

DeBrincat provided a list. Dorion has talked trade. Dorion has said he's got to the point of allowing teams to talk to DeBrincat and alluded to those talks falling apart over term.

It seems to me that the teams he is interested in aren't interested in him with term. Or his list is a sham.
Im coming at it from a biased view without a doubt, I’ve looked at the list as a sham ever since it was announced, knew it would have a near impossible success rate with teams actually looking for him and actually able to fit/want him. Turns out that’s how it played out. Somehow I was told I was freaking out and going off the deep-end because I said that DBC wasn’t going to be providing a list that benefited the Sens by including teams that realistically could get him, rather than the Vegas’, Florida’s of the league.

“Here are 5 teams I may sign with if you’re asking for a list. It’s not very realistic, and I’m really not really in a rush to sign, but knock your boots, if the right deal is there I will sign”

It should be no surprise that teams like the Isles, etc. aren’t going to be enticing to DBC, and it shouldn’t be put out in the media that DBC is holding up trades because he isn’t signing and his contract terms aren’t realistic. He’s under zero obligation to sign, other than the Sens selfishly (for good reason) wanting him to for their leverage. I have zero problem with the Sens trying to get him signed, but it doesn’t seem to be working, and it’s not DBC’s fault.

Garrioch saying that the team specifically asked for the list, when he has no trade protection whatsoever, sealed it for me, in my opinion. The team knows an unsigned DBC isn’t an appealing asset at 8 million for 1 year, it may literally be very tough to move. They’re hoping to get a deal signed before the trade. The list provided really bad 1 team with a legit possibility to make it work, IF they wanted, which they never.

Reactions: bert

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Im coming at it from a biased view without a doubt, I’ve looked at the list as a sham ever since it was announced, knew it would have a near impossible success rate with teams actually looking for him and actually able to fit/want him. Turns out that’s how it played out. Somehow I was told I was freaking out and going off the deep-end because I said that DBC wasn’t going to be providing a list that benefited the Sens by including teams that realistically could get him.

Garrioch saying that the team specifically asked for the list, when he has no trade protection whatsoever, sealed it for me, in my opinion. The team knows an unsigned DBC isn’t an appealing asset at 8 million for 1 year, it may literally be very tough to move. They’re hoping to get a deal signed before the trade. The list provided really bad 1 team with a legit possibility to make it work, IF they wanted, which they never.
I'm perfectly fine going to arbitration and signing him and moving him next season at the TDL.

He will return a 1st plus one high end young player that's unlikely to dress in a playoff run

Reactions: Cosmix

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
He was trying to give the city some excitement. It was time to compete. He got us Giroux, DBC, Talbot and finally Chychrun. It didn't work because of injuries and goaltending but I think Dorion did a pretty good job trying to get us there.
This is fair but he also used up almost every single asset to get us to make the playoffs and failed.

When people complain about Dorion it isn't that he hasn't done any good; it is his penchant for going for the big move when most of them seriously backfired. I liked most of them when they happened but eventually the track record becomes established and impossible to ignore.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I'm perfectly fine going to arbitration and signing him and moving him next season at the TDL.

He will return a 1st plus one high end young player that's unlikely to dress in a playoff run
That's probably the best option in terms of getting value back, we could even boost the return by retaining a bit, but it would be a tough decision to move a top 6 fwd when we're fighting for a playoff berth, or if we think we have a shit in the playoffs.

Then there's the whole issue of fitting him under the cap, with the Korpisalo signing, that will be tough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad