Management GM Pierre Dorion/Front Office Thread - Part IX [Mod Warning in post 1)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beech

Nov 25, 2020
Kaprizov got absolutely bullied during the playoffs this year. Suter probably cracked a rib in his back he cross checked him so hard.

Policing the game still exists, it just looks different that what it did 30 years ago. The liberties taken are all little battles along the boards or in front of the net. Cheap shots that refs miss, slashes, cross-checks, hits that didn’t really need to be made, etc.

Look at our boy Mark Stone in the playoffs. Was hit repeatedly when he didn’t need to be as opponents were literally trying to break his back. Vegas’ big boys would have to routinely give extra shots in scrums to try to deter this.

Frig I want Kolesar.
yes, so much of what you say is true.

But if you look back (way back).. The Islanders had Trotier and Bossy on line with Gilies.. That was old style enforcer protecting the stars.. Gretzky, Kurri, and Dave Semenko..

It is different today.. You need a psychopath on your team. Someone who plays on the 3rd or 4th line, that watches the game..Cheap shots are repaid in kind to their stars. If Tim S. gets hit, you send Joe Mutant out, he skates over to the biggest star on their team, lowers his head and tells him to say good bye to his ankle. And he must be psychotic enough to do it.

On a line, in the flow of a game, you need talent, speed, skill and let it flow. Have depth on 2-3 lines with as much skill as possible. And have Chain Saw Masacar Guy siting on the 4th line.

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
yes, so much of what you say is true.

But if you look back (way back).. The Islanders had Trotier and Bossy on line with Gilies.. That was old style enforcer protecting the stars.. Gretzky, Kurri, and Dave Semenko..

It is different today.. You need a psychopath on your team. Someone who plays on the 3rd or 4th line, that watches the game..Cheap shots are repaid in kind to their stars. If Tim S. gets hit, you send Joe Mutant out, he skates over to the biggest star on their team, lowers his head and tells him to say good bye to his ankle. And he must be psychotic enough to do it.

On a line, in the flow of a game, you need talent, speed, skill and let it flow. Have depth on 2-3 lines with as much skill as possible. And have Chain Saw Masacar Guy siting on the 4th line.

Imo you need 3-4 guys who can lay an absolutely massive, bone crushing hit (ideally one is on the ice for every second of the game) and one guy who’s not afraid to drop the gloves who is good at it (and that guy is a forward in the bottom six).

Fighting isn’t dead but it’s not a big part of the game anymore. The threat of retaliation now is you giving it to someone, somehow and then you get caught with your head down and BAM.

Killorn has been at the top of my wish list for a while now. He’s older and a little broken down but he still does everything the right way. His cup final experience too would be such a welcome addition.

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
Imo you need 3-4 guys who can lay an absolutely massive, bone crushing hit (ideally one is on the ice for every second of the game) and one guy who’s not afraid to drop the gloves who is good at it (and that guy is a forward in the bottom six).

Fighting isn’t dead but it’s not a big part of the game anymore. The threat of retaliation now is you giving it to someone, somehow and then you get caught with your head down and BAM.

Killorn has been at the top of my wish list for a while now. He’s older and a little broken down but he still does everything the right way. His cup final experience too would be such a welcome addition.

this is why i think Hamonic is fake tough. we seem to be using Hamonic as the tough guy on our defence which is absolute bs. HE is not tough to play against because he's not good defensively and he can't even mitigate that by being an intimidating physical presence.

the toughest thing about hamonic is how much he's always in pain but never leaves the game. that's it. who the f*** cares about that?

this is real toughness and intimidation

this is the toughness we need.

not hamonic with his creampuff rub out hits and soft boardplay and bad defensive play.

Beech

Nov 25, 2020

yes, that is an option as well.. I don't know that there is a singular affective way to protect stars.

do you add an enforcer to their line... do you bring in a psychopath, do you find 2-3 bone crushers? it is a view point and a preference?

mine has always be the Psychopath..I would continue, but the mods.

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
this is why i think Hamonic is fake tough. we seem to be using Hamonic as the tough guy on our defence which is absolute bs. HE is not tough to play against because he's not good defensively and he can't even mitigate that by being an intimidating physical presence.

the toughest thing about hamonic is how much he's always in pain but never leaves the game. that's it. who the f*** cares about that?

this is real toughness and intimidation

this is the toughness we need.

not hamonic with his creampuff rub out hits and soft boardplay and bad defensive play.

Gudas would be amazing. Sure he’s old like Killer but he was developed properly and plays the game right (Jon Cooper can’t praise him enough. Was huge for their AHL championship and hasn’t stopped winning since). I just don’t think we have the cap to sign him.

Hammer is a great #6. He plays all the tough minutes and blocks a zillion shots and is widely heralded by the team. I wish he could hit harder like he used to but injuries have accumulated.

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
yes, that is an option as well.. I don't know that there is a singular affective way to protect stars.

do you add an enforcer to their line... do you bring in a psychopath, do you find 2-3 bone crushers? it is a view point and a preference?

mine has always be the Psychopath..I would continue, but the mods.

The guy that plays that role though is so hard to find - every team wants one - and their shelf lives are max 5-6 seasons before their body literally implodes on them. Then they’re forced to re-invent themselves or fade into obscurity.

We already have Brady, Kleven is coming, Chychrun can when he’s healthy, so if we could add a Killorn for the middle six and a Hathaway/Accairi for the 4th line I think we’d be doing very well come playoff time next season.

Beech

Nov 25, 2020
The guy that plays that role though is so hard to find - every team wants one - and their shelf lives are max 5-6 seasons before their body literally implodes on them. Then they’re forced to re-invent themselves or fade into obscurity.

We already have Brady, Kleven is coming, Chychrun can when he’s healthy, so if we could add a Killorn for the middle six and a Hathaway/Accairi for the 4th line I think we’d be doing very well come playoff time next season.
psychopath

McGratin.. I may be mis-spelling his name.

Joey Kocur, the Kelventon boys (watch the TSN documentary). Hard to find, but effective,

UUUGGGH, i wish that I could explain more...

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

It’s kind of funny actually, all the doubling down, and they need to be broken up lol.
Speaking of doubling down, you never answered my question,

Of McDavid's ~150 pts, how many do you think were facilitated by the 269 5v5 mins he played with Kane during which 9 total goals were scored?

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Uch
The end of that Dorion presser is so bad. He needs to keep it suuuuuper brief. Cause that bumbling defensive sales man thing he goes in to is so unappealing. It’s a bad look for the organization.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
1688250807767.png

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Explain this to me.

My impression is DeBrincat does not want to sign here long term. Debrincat wants to explore UFA as that opportunity may not come again.

What's with the term thing?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
It’s incredibly obvious he died t want to sign here
What's with the comment on the other teams not being ready to pay the term the Sens were willing to pay.

As seemingly a reason DeBrincat wasn't interested in that team.

I thought he wanted UFA .. that would mean less term is good

So He just doesn't want term with Ottawa but Term with another team that's fine.

Dorion saying staying 1 year is ok. Not sure how he squares that.

Last edited:

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
Explain this to me.

My impression is DeBrincat does not want to sign here long term. Debrincat wants to explore UFA as that opportunity may not come again.

What's with the term thing?

sounds from me , that DeBrincat think we have low ball him. And now he see what his worth if hit free agency. I have the feeling he sign 3 years by Monday. This is why Dorion said he’s happy with our depth

Oct 10, 2010
You look at the roster and can’t help but to feel embarrassed for this management group and how they are unable to build a good team around such a great young core of Brady and Jimmy … almost seems impossible to mess up but here we are

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
You look at the roster and can’t help but to feel embarrassed for this management group and how they are unable to build a good team around such a great young core of Brady and Jimmy …

Lol whatever. Like he added two of the biggest named players available in the last year (ADB and Chychrun). He signed Claude friggin Giroux. He tried with Talbot - a move that was universally praised until it flopped. And he's trying again with another goalie - one that could be a potential homeowner if he keeps up his play from last season.

And you would say the same shit if he stood pat and did nothing to try to improve the core, or made other moves. And I bet you still think Steve Yzerman is probably a hero GM if i had a guess.

I hate having to defend Dorion. But FFS you can't say hes not at least trying to add good players to the team.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2010
It’s just not a very good constructed roster and hasn’t been for some time that much is obvious

They lack toughness, grit , sand paper , secondary scoring from bottom 6 , have a coach who doesn’t know how to coach very well, Dorion and company don’t believe in depth and the roster is very top heavy, he’s spending $7M on two average goalies and our top 4 while very good on paper is probably the softest 4some in the league they need to change the way that they play be more physical make it a nightmare for opposing forwards … Our roster is the biggest throw it against the wall and hope that it sticks not much thought about anything else …

Look at Vegas big strong tough to play against well coached and well balanced lines they have a plan and target players that fit right in ..

Organization is just a big mess that hopefully Andlauer is able to clean up before superstars like Brady and Jimmy run out of patience.

Last edited:
Reactions: Agent Zuuuub

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Lol whatever. Like he added two of the biggest named players available in the last year (ADB and Chychrun). He signed Claude friggin Giroux. He tried with Talbot - a move that was universally praised until it flopped. And he's trying again with another goalie - one that could be a potential homeowner if he keeps up his play from last season.

And you would say the same shit if he stood pat and did nothing to try to improve the core, or made other moves. And I bet you still think Steve Yzerman is probably a hero GM if i had a guess.

I hate having to defend Dorion. But FFS you can't say hes not at least trying to add good players to the team.
GM's stick their neck out when they make these moves. He needs Korpisalo to work out, or really, any goaltender, so Forsberg getting back to form works too.

I really hope it goes well and we're not standing here months from now with underperforming goalies, a team out of the playoffs, and us wondering where we go from there.

Reactions: Samsquanch

KingAlfie11

Nov 3, 2021
I went on the Wings board and fans there are upset with Yzerman, Wing fans have no idea what Stevie Y is doing. :laugh: It goes to show you every fan base is very critical of their gm.

It’s just not a very good constructed roster and hasn’t been for some time that much is obvious

They lack toughness, grit , sand paper , secondary scoring from bottom 6 , have a coach who doesn’t know how to coach very well, Dorion and company don’t believe in depth and the roster is very top heavy, he’s spending $7M on two average goalies and our top 4 while very good on paper is probably the softest 4some in the league they need to change the way that they play be more physical make it a nightmare for opposing forwards … Our roster is the biggest throw it against the wall and hope that it sticks not much thought about anything else …

Look at Vegas big strong tough to play against well coached and well balanced lines they have a plan and target players that fit right in ..

Organization is just a big mess that hopefully Andlauer is able to clean up before superstars like Brady and Jimmy run out of patience.
I disagree completely with your assessment!

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Beech

Nov 25, 2020
I went on the Wings board and fans there are upset with Yzerman, Wing fans have no idea what Stevie Y is doing. :laugh: It goes to show you every fan base is very critical of their gm.

I disagree completely with your assessment!
Buffalo 12 seasons out of the playoffs
Detroit 7 seasons out of the playoffs
Ottawa 6 seasons out of the playoffs

there is no reason to be unhappy.. Fans are too fickle

The Cup winner, an expansion team in year 6 of its existence. And has been to a second final series
A second year expansion team, qualified for the playoffs.

Fans are so unreasonable.

$100 ticket, $30 parking $20 beer, tax dollar subsidized existence... What the heck is there to complain about?

Hard to blame them. Very confusing day over there.
or maybe golden boy Stevie Y, is not God!

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Buffalo 12 seasons out of the playoffs
Detroit 7 seasons out of the playoffs
Ottawa 6 seasons out of the playoffs

there is no reason to be unhappy.. Fans are too fickle

The Cup winner, an expansion team in year 6 of its existence. And has been to a second final series
A second year expansion team, qualified for the playoffs.

Fans are so unreasonable.

$100 ticket, $30 parking $20 beer, tax dollar subsidized existence... What the heck is there to complain about?
That is certainly an angle that deserves discussion about rebuilds in general from a fan perspective. They should be cratering the prices based on the product.

You're paying exorbitant amounts of money to go watch a professional sports team not trying to win, from an organizational perspective. You pretty much have to be able to just enjoy dragging yourself all the way there and back and sitting in the stands watching an inconsequential hockey game while drinking overpriced draft beer at that point.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury

Omg you guys are so depressing hahaha.

Yes. The Sens are 10 ply soft and have no grit. You should say that to Brady's face sometime just so he can shine you up.

Our best players are super gritty. Brady. Timmy. Claude father. Chychrun, Batherson and Norris are far from being soft and all physically imposing men when they want to be - to a far greater degree than many comparable stars in the league. Same with Pinto, Sanderson and Zub, nothing soft or small or lacking grit to any of these players.

If Thomas Chabot is your biggest frggin gripe, then you need to relax brother.

And when we have players like Greig, Kleven, Boucher and Ostapchuk on the way to help soon, you need to worry a lot less about physical play than you currently are.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad