Management GM Pierre Dorion/Front Office Thread - Part IX [Mod Warning in post 1)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Garrioch said a couple weeks ago that the bidders were told they wouldn't be able to make personnel changes before the summer:

A league executive told this newspaper Wednesday it could take anywhere between 60 and 90 days to close the deal.

That means the party chosen, whether it’s Apostolopoulos, Andlauer or the Kimel family, may not get the keys until just before training camp in September.

Postmedia reported last month the suitors that made bids already understood they’d have no say in what happens at the NHL draft on June 28-29 in Nashville or the free agency period that opens July 1.

I hope he's wrong and Andlauer can put in a new management group before the draft, but I'm not expecting it.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
If Andlauer really is bringing in guys from the OHL (Staios and Roy), I don't know how you do that without the current group in place running the draft, free agency and training camps. At which point, you leave them on until you find a reason to fire them after the season starts. Now, with that said, if Dorion's recommendation is to replace DJ and his staff, then I guess Andlauer gets his preferred HC in right away.

S0 do We want an owner to pick the HC, or the GM?

A LOT of people had their knickers in knots, for year, when it was premiered that the previous owner meddled in hockey ops?

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
It would be rare and completely bizarre for a new owner to clean house asap when the team is clearly trending in the right direction.

If it ain’t broke, why fix it?

Pretty sure PD has two more years on his contract, and there is nothing of an immediate nature, that would logically warrant his firing at this time…… surely the new owner will let him continue in his current capacity until he gets to know him, and see how the team performs on the ice next season…

Last edited:

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
Garrioch said a couple weeks ago that the bidders were told they wouldn't be able to make personnel changes before the summer:

I hope he's wrong and Andlauer can put in a new management group before the draft, but I'm not expecting it.

It's not going to happen. He doesn't own the team yet, and until the sale closes the seller isn't going to allow any meaningful changes outside the normal course of business. They have to protect against the risk that the deal falls apart, and they have to circle back to another prospective buyer.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa

What credentials does Staios have to be such a natural choice for a team at the vanguard of competitiveness? This seems like change for the sake of change, which is a lousy way to make your first impression. Bring someone with some real experience and we can at least understand that the change is being made to access a level of expertise that's missing. Hiring a rookie GM with minimal NHL management experience does not sell me on a competent vision of the next 5 years.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
What credentials does Staios have to be such a natural choice for a team at the vanguard of competitiveness? This seems like change for the sake of change, which is a lousy way to make your first impression. Bring someone with some real experience and we can at least understand that the change is being made to access a level of expertise that's missing. Hiring a rookie GM with minimal NHL management experience does not sell me on a competent vision of the next 5 years.

I'd imagine Staios wouldn't be the only hire.

I'd bet on a senior person brought in to oversee hockey ops (could be a President title or "Senior advisor" title), and support the new GM, which does seem likely to be Staios.

Also, "change for the sake of change" isn't really accurate since they team hasn't made the playoffs since 2017. It's more like "change due to years of missing the playoffs".

And I know I know... "the rebuild"... it's still been a lot of losing.

Reactions: DrEasy

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Staios is involved with player development with the Oilers. Not big on having him involved here considering how mediocre Edmonton has been at player development.

Reactions: Flamingo

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
I hear the argument, but Staios is also someone who's been steadily on the rise for years now and is clearly sought after by at least one other team, possibly more.

You won't usually find a good, smart, experienced GM at a reasonable price tag on the open market, so one of the competitive advantages we need as a smaller market is the ability to pinpoint guys who can develop into that upper echelon kind of guy. Personally I have no problem with seeing what Staios can do with the reins.
Staios is involved with player development with the Oilers. Not big on having him involved here considering how mediocre Edmonton has been at player development.
Staios only joined the Oilers player dev in summer 2022. Before that he was President and GM of the Hamilton Bulldogs, and in player dev with the Leafs before that.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
I'd imagine Staios wouldn't be the only hire.

I'd bet on a senior person brought in to oversee hockey ops (could be a President title or "Senior advisor" title), and support the new GM, which does seem likely to be Staios.

Also, "change for the sake of change" isn't really accurate since they team hasn't made the playoffs since 2017. It's more like "change due to years of missing the playoffs".

And I know I know... "the rebuild"... it's still been a lot of losing.
I know you're an extremely jaded human being and that's fine. But even the saltiest and most curmudgeonly characters can agree that this team has a core of talent that will be one of the best in the league for the duration of their current contracts. So, we don't have an issue with the actual filling of the pie, if you'll allow a metaphor here, but rather with all the decorative bits and the crumble on top.

Bringing in a guy with Staios' resume is like hiring a home cook to finish your pie for the pie competition. Is it possible they can get the job done? Of course. But wouldn't we all feel a lot better if we got an experienced professional pastry chef to do it?

Reactions: swiftwin

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
I know you're an extremely jaded human being and that's fine. But even the saltiest and most curmudgeonly characters can agree that this team has a core of talent that will be one of the best in the league for the duration of their current contracts. So, we don't have an issue with the actual filling of the pie, if you'll allow a metaphor here, but rather with all the decorative bits and the crumble on top.

Bringing in a guy with Staios' resume is like hiring a home cook to finish your pie for the pie competition. Is it possible they can get the job done? Of course. But wouldn't we all feel a lot better if we got an experienced professional pastry chef to do it?

Well like I said, I'm betting (and hoping) that we bring in a senior level person above the GM, who has experience. Kind of the role that Rutherford plays in Vancouver, McPhee in Vegas, or Gorton in Montreal. All there to support rookie GMs. So I agree. Staios, alone, wouldn't inspire a ton of confidence.

Doug Wilson would be a great add as President. Ray Shero could be another fit.

President: Doug Wilson
GM: Steve Staios
Senior VP of Hockey Ops: Daniel Alfredsson

That would get people excited.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Agent Zuuuub

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
umpire-youre-out.gif

Reactions: Tragedy

Tap on the Ankle

Jun 9, 2004
Ottawa
I'm okay with Staios.

An experienced and previously successful GM is no guarantee. People thought Ken Holland was a very good GM. Remember when Peter Chiarelli helped build the Bruins and this board was sad over the loss? Then he went to Edmonton and everyone clowns on him now. How about Lou Lamoriello? He was this slick old school guy that ran a tight ship and then he's out of touch with the game. It's not just old guys though, this board also thought losing Tim Murray was going to be a disaster but he did not last long in Buffalo.

Not hating just saying that it's a tough gig where previous success is not a great indication of future success.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I'm all for a new face. Starting to look like that's all but guaranteed with Staios there, and will almost certainly come with a new coach as well.

This organization needs change and to wipe the Melnyk era slate clean.

I'm also fine if they keep Dorion if that's what Andlauer wants, but I want it to be his choice. That said, I do appreciate the sour grapes about Dorion and DJ likely being on the outs.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.STEVE★
Jul 26, 2005
Give us new faces, new ideas, new direction. Can't be worse than DJ and Dorion. I refuse to believe.
That's true. On the bright side, it would be pretty hard for the new GM to mess up all the good work Dorion did. They're almost all locked down on good long term contracts.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
S0 do We want an owner to pick the HC, or the GM?

A LOT of people had their knickers in knots, for year, when it was premiered that the previous owner meddled in hockey ops?
No one wants the owner picking the GM or the Coach. Just have the owner pick the president.

You really are going with this eh. I have to imagine you were a friend or something.

He’s been there for less than a year..
Insane stuff. Lets get real the majority of posters want analytics guys they really dont like people with real hands on experience.

I'm all for a new face. Starting to look like that's all but guaranteed with Staios there, and will almost certainly come with a new coach as well.

This organization needs change and to wipe the Melnyk era slate clean.

I'm also fine if they keep Dorion if that's what Andlauer wants, but I want it to be his choice. That said, I do appreciate the sour grapes about Dorion and DJ likely being on the outs.
I think you are on twitter too much if you think Staios as GM is all but guaranteed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad