Management GM Pierre Dorion/Front Office Thread - Part IX [Mod Warning in post 1)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Also I would be shocked if Dorion is trying to get Dubas for POHO. He’s insecure and doesn’t want anyone to threaten his job (Pierre McGuire anyone?) and Dubas would be a threat to him.

It is one reason why we have a small front office staff sadly .

Besides, since when does the GM have the authority to hire a POHO?

I may be uniformed, but have never heard of this happening before, and would welcome an example….. but Dorion answers to the 3 Member board that the Owner put together to operate the franchise, before his untimely and unfortunate death… I would think they would have the ability to hire a POHO, if the franchise was not up for sale.

Reactions: GermanSpitfire

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
Wrong. Melnyk didn’t want to pay him what he was worth so Dorion had his hand forced and we dealt him

I’ve said this a million times before and I’ll say it again

Turris, Zibanejad, Karlsson, Stone, Pageau.

All dealt because Melnyk didn’t want to hand out the bag $$$ which forced Dorion to deal them . Teams knew this and therefore Dorion was dealing from a position of weakness.
Clearly wrong about Zibanejad, Paguea and Stone. Karlsson and Turris sure.

FYI - Rebuilding usually teams trade players that are headed to free agency that don’t want to be part of a rebuild. Crazy concept.

You really think Stone would have signed long term with the Sens after EK and others were traded. Let’s use some logic here bud, there was no way Stone was signing an extension in OTT and thus took his historic arbitration award and was going to test FA.

Dorion that bozo had zero foresight and decided to wait until the trade deadline to make a trade. He should have been working on trades as soon as it became clear that Stone wasn’t going to sign an extension.

Last edited:

Mark Stones Spleen

Trouba's elbow
Jan 17, 2008
T.O.

FYI - Rebuilding usually teams trade players that are headed to free agency that don’t want to be part of a rebuild. Crazy concept.

You really think Stone would have signed long term with the Sens after EK and others were traded. Let’s use some logic here bud, there was no way Stone was signing an extension in OTT and thus took his historic arbitration award and was going to test FA.

Dorion that bozo had zero foresight and decided to wait until the trade deadline to make a trade. He should have been working on trades as soon as it became clear that Stone wasn’t going to sign an extension.
PD being a bozo and him being handcuffed financially by Eugene aren't mutually exclusive.

The zibby trade was 100% financial in nature.

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
EM himself could come back and say "Everybody was traded because I didn't want to pay them. I ran this hockey club into the ground because I was crazy and Dorion gladly did it because he is a bootlicking weasel." ....and people would say "That's false. Those players didn't want to be here, Dorion is a great gm blah, blah, blah" It's truly facinating to watch.

Philadelphia Collins

May 31, 2011
This guy takes zero accountability for his mistakes, I could care less if he got better as a GM once Melnyk croaked.

Having that press conference after the Stone trade with the huge smile saying it was his proudest moment as GM, now that Stones in the SCF and Brannstroms on the 3rd pairing he’s backpedaling on a podcast saying he wanted to re-sign him for 8 years but Eugene vetoed it.

Worst pro scouting in the league, and the 2021 draft has made me reconsider if they are actually good at amateur scouting lol

Hockeysawks

May 16, 2023
This guy takes zero accountability for his mistakes, I could care less if he got better as a GM once Melnyk croaked.

Having that press conference after the Stone trade with the huge smile saying it was his proudest moment as GM, now that Stones in the SCF and Brannstroms on the 3rd pairing he’s backpedaling on a podcast saying he wanted to re-sign him for 8 years but Eugene vetoed it.

Worst pro scouting in the league, and the 2021 draft has made me reconsider if they are actually good at amateur scouting lol
Methot stated Stone wanted to move on long before it happened.
Dorion getting a highly sought blue chip prospect for a pending UFA would obviously make him smile.
Anderson didn't even want to enter the locker room it was so toxic, everyone has some strange scenario where the sens loved work and handcuffed themselves to thier lockers then big meanie Melnyk ruined the day.

Last edited:

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com

Yeah I’ll stick with knowing someone in the organization who has the truth over whatever it is you’ve come up with in your mind

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
Methot stated Stone wanted to move on long before it happened.
Dorion getting a highly sought blue chip prospect for a pending UFA would obviously make him smile.
Anderson didn't even want to enter the locker room it was so toxic, everyone has some strange scenario where the sens loved work and handcuffed themselves to thier lockers then big meanie Melnyk ruined the day.
Have you met sweatred?

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
The most intriguing thing was about Brady celebrating his brother. Dorion said he was generally ok with it, but he said he "had it out " with DJ, when one night this year after a Seattle game, a loss I assume, and he said the karaoke after the game...he said he wasn't mad at the players but with the coach?

Last edited:

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
The most intriguing thing was about Brady ma dhis celebrating his brother. Dorion said he was generally ok with it, but he said he "had it out " with DJ, when one night this year after a Seattle game, a loss I assum, and he said the karaoke after the game...he said he wasn't mad at the players but with the coach?

That was an odd comment. Dorion has often "bragged" about having authority. Kind of bizarre. He's an awkward guy.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
The most intriguing thing was about Brady ma dhis celebrating his brother. Dorion said he was generally ok with it, but he said he "had it out " with DJ, when one night this year after a Seattle game, a loss I assum, and he said the karaoke after the game...he said he wasn't mad at the players but with the coach?
It was more like he was mad that the players were publicly celebrating at the bar after a shitty loss. Instead of talking to the players he spoke to DJ about reigning in the players after a loss on the road. Said he let DJ deal with those kinds of things directly with the players (part of his job). My interpretation…

He was explained that he dealt directly with players when they broke team rules, which he insinuated he did on multiple occasions, but obviously didn’t enjoy. I was really curious to hear some examples. Del Zotto comes to mind for sure….

That was an odd comment. Dorion has often "bragged" about having authority. Kind of bizarre. He's an awkward guy.
There was no brag there, he made it seem like he didn’t enjoy this kind of thing, but did his job when it needed doing.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
There was no brag there, he made it seem like he didn’t enjoy this kind of thing, but did his job when it needed doing.

It's not the first time he's made a comment like it. He's just an awkward person who says some weird things. Comes off as someone trying to prove that he is "the boss". I believe he said that in a scrum once, "Pierre Dorion is the boss." 3rd person and all.

I know people who've had interactions with him at functions who said the same things. He's an awkward dude who seems out of place in social settings. If I was his buddy I'd tell him to stay far away from podcasts. Nothing good can come from it.

And that's not a knock on him as a GM. Some people are just like that. People say similar things about McCrimmon in Vegas. Doesn't make the best impression. DJ, from what I've heard, is the opposite. Incredibly likeable, easy to talk to and confident in any setting.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Besides, since when does the GM have the authority to hire a POHO?

I may be uniformed, but have never heard of this happening before, and would welcome an example….. but Dorion answers to the 3 Member board that the Owner put together to operate the franchise, before his untimely and unfortunate death… I would think they would have the ability to hire a POHO, if the franchise was not up for sale.

The GM can have a say but ultimately it’s up to someone like the owner etc

With the timing of the sale going on it doesn’t make sense that there is actually interest in Dubas coming here . Too many moving parts for this to be a thing happening

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
The GM can have a say but ultimately it’s up to someone like the owner etc

With the timing of the sale going on it doesn’t make sense that there is actually interest in Dubas coming here . Too many moving parts for this to be a thing happening

I don't think that's necessarily true, especially if a group (like the Kimels) are eyeing Dubas to come in in a President role, not a replacement for Dorion (which with the timeline, doesn't make sense).

The pitch would probably be: when we take over, you'll come in as POHO (probably in September/October) and have the ability to evaluate the existing front-office and coaching staff and make any changes you see fit going into 24/25.

Dubas could very well come in and extend Dorion if they hit it off and are aligned on the vision. Or he could make a change mid-way, or after, the next season.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Seems like he knows his time on the Sens is coming to an end and that he’ll likely never be an NHL GM again so he’s trying to save face by pinning his terrible moves on the owner.
Not how I took it after listening last night, just a mention of it basically. I suspect you haven't actually listened and are just making rash statements like the above.

Criticize Dorion all you want, I won't be defending him, but more that one thing can be true and we all know damn well just how much of a problem Melnyk was with the money and much else that was wrong with the franchise. Dates back to Murray's tenure too, so it's not just Dorion.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.STEVE★
Jul 26, 2005
He was explained that he dealt directly with players when they broke team rules, which he insinuated he did on multiple occasions, but obviously didn’t enjoy. I was really curious to hear some examples. Del Zotto comes to mind for sure….
I'm guessing Joseph this season.

Not how I took it after listening last night, just a mention of it basically. I suspect you haven't actually listened and are just making rash statements like the above.
It's not rash statements. It's called trolling.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
EM himself could come back and say "Everybody was traded because I didn't want to pay them. I ran this hockey club into the ground because I was crazy and Dorion gladly did it because he is a bootlicking weasel." ....and people would say "That's false. Those players didn't want to be here, Dorion is a great gm blah, blah, blah" It's truly facinating to watch.

Hilariously enough all of those traded players could also come right out and plainly say that they had no intention of signing in Ottawa long term. And people here would still say Dorion f***ed it because of some reason or another, and that player XX would have actually stayed just because...

This shit goes both ways my friend....

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
We're now in the stage where Dorion is making his case to prospective ownership that he should remain as GM, as undoubtedly a part of that involves excusing past failures and there's no better person to throw under the bus than a guy who can't defend himself.

I don't buy that Stone was willing to stay here during a rebuild for anything less than a major overpayment, and if Melnyk vetoed a hypothetical deal that paid Stone anywhere close to or even more than the 9.5M x 8YRs he ended up getting from Vegas, he made the right call.

Hilariously enough all of those traded players could also come right out and plainly say that they had no intention of signing in Ottawa long term. And people here would still say Dorion f***ed it because of some reason or another, and that player XX would have actually stayed just because...

It's not Dorion's fault Karlsson wanted out, which is what likely prompted Stone and Duchene to want out, as they wouldn't want to spend the prime of their careers on a bottom feeder.

What he can be blamed for is the poor returns for most of the players he traded during the rebuild.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Re the combine; Says they won't interview anyone in the top 16 most likely. Probably makes sense .. At this point would they not think they can get a 1st somewhere in the 11-16 range . Seems not.

JBD's job to lose going in. Teams have called on him

Should know more in 10 days on DeBrincat.. everything on the table including trading him, qo, arb, keeping him for 1 year.

Looking at these euro free wallets hoping to get lucky it seems to add some depth

2021 Draft

Last edited:

Loach

Jun 9, 2021

...but 1 thing happened, in real life.....the other is what you are making up...I mean talking about.

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
The only thing I don’t like about how Stone left is I feel like we thrust maturity onto Brady. Had we been able to keep Stone he’d be our captain and Brady would be able to play more ‘his game’ for the start of his career.

Though that reality would lead to like 50 different roster and drafting decisions and contract negotiations. I like this reality.

Reactions: bicboi64

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I just don't buy that he has anything to gain here. Any potential employment, whether new owners here or someone elsewhere, are not going to be swayed by a claim he made on some random podcast about one contract offer.

Everyone knows now that Melnyk was completely rotten as an owner by the end, so if he's going to get the benefit of the doubt, it'll be based on that as a whole, not one single claim on a podcast.

And with the confirmed verbal abuse of his staff from the Mendes/Strang article and other corroborators, who here thinks Dorion was exempt from that? I'd bet he took a ton of Melnyk's verbal abuse and I certainly can't blame him for saying anything like this.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
1685555046777.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad