Management GM Pierre Dorion/Front Office Thread - Part IX [Mod Warning in post 1)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockeysawks

May 16, 2023
lol at the people calling out others for being anxious at what Dorion could possibly do in that other thread

It's been 6 years, we have seen it plenty of times. At any moment, he can build himself a huge bomb that will blow up in our face shortly after.

I mean, it's someone who could trade a 2nd round pick for a pure cap dump like Derek Stepan after letting Anthony Duclair walk as a RFA. It's someone who could waive Rudolfs Balcers to be sure to... not lose one of Paquette/Anisimov/Galchenyuk on waivers? lol. It's someone who could trade a gem like Mika Zibanejad for a player almost 6 years older but who wasn't even a huge upgrade at that moment. etc etc etc

If you have confidence in someone making such moves, then you probably don't know about hockey as much as you'd like to think. Sure, if the team was making the playoffs or if it had shown clear progress the last 2 seasons, rthere wouldn't be much reasons to complain, at least much less, but it's not the case here so it's perfectly legit to criticize what has been done.
Duclair wanted out, Balacers? Is he even in the NHL anymore?
He was forced to trade Zibby, EM told him to save cash.
Balacers bought out then placed on waivers again then out of the nhl
I guess Dubas can come in give Sanderson 10.5 for 5 years and then run Claude out of town because cap, bring Murray back and then act like he built a great team.
I wouldn’t put it past him to trade Brady for 1 year of Marner and hire keefe
God I hope they go any other direction.

Last edited:

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Dubas has had so many questionable moves as GM for the Leafs. Taking Murray is just one of them.
Can't question his passion but the results just haven't been there. Taking Dubas would be a mistake.
There are more experienced GM's out there!

Dubas has traded for good Dman and if he is the man who finally solves the Defence for Ottawa then that would be perfect strat to his career here in Ottawa.

But whoever the GM is needs to find this team a goalie - a real starting goalie like a Belfour, Quick, Richter. If this Sens roster had a goalie like Florida does it could be a really good 1-5 years here

Hockeysawks

May 16, 2023
Dubas has traded for good Dman and if he is the man who finally solves the Defence for Ottawa then that would be perfect strat to his career here in Ottawa.

But whoever the GM is needs to find this team a goalie - a real starting goalie like a Belfour, Quick, Richter. If this Sens roster had a goalie like Florida does it could be a really good 1-5 years here
What good Dman? Muzzin is broken,Brodie is seeming to have issues and Mccabe is a bottom pairing Dman that was a major disaster against Florida.
The Sens D is better

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
What good Dman? Muzzin is broken,Brodie is seeming to have issues and Mccabe is a bottom pairing Dman that was a major disaster against Florida.
The Sens D is better

I just meant more he’s been able to maintain defence that keeps his team near the top of the NHL and in the playoffs

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Both of those rentals were pretty good on our budget actually.

What you mean to dream about is imagine if EM let Dorion spend to the cap for those years…..

Dream away my friend…..
I don't think the issue was fitting guys into. The budget, they were deadline acquisitions and wouldn't have broke the bank, but even then, other options that cost less in dollars than Burrows were available too who wouldn't have required extending. Iginla, Vanek, Ott, Brenden Smith (D), Benn (D), Boyle, Hansel and Eaves all went that deadline and either had lower salaries or had retention bringing them lower.

We chose Burrows because we thought he'd be a good fit an reportedly to replace Neil for next couple years. Budget didn't stop us from other arguably better options like Hanzal, Eaves or Boyle, SJ this time at least I don't blame Melnyk.

Agree Stallberg was good for the price though, solid depth option. Can't remember his name but the guy we got from SJ was a waste... Same with the Dman, Kevin... I wanna say Jokipaka? Minor quibbles though,

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I don't think the issue was fitting guys into. The budget, they were deadline acquisitions and wouldn't have broke the bank, but even then, other options that cost less in dollars than Burrows were available too who wouldn't have required extending. Iginla, Vanek, Ott, Brenden Smith (D), Benn (D), Boyle, Hansel and Eaves all went that deadline and either had lower salaries or had retention bringing them lower.

We chose Burrows because we thought he'd be a good fit an reportedly to replace Neil for next couple years. Budget didn't stop us from other arguably better options like Hanzal, Eaves or Boyle, SJ this time at least I don't blame Melnyk.

Agree Stallberg was good for the price though, solid depth option. Can't remember his name but the guy we got from SJ was a waste... Same with the Dman, Kevin... I wanna say Jokipaka? Minor quibbles though,

I didn’t mind the Burrows trade he scored some huge goals for us down the stretch and I think the team really missed him near the end of the Pitt series when the margins were so small, I always thought he had another big goal to score for Ottawa.

In retrospect, Guy Boucher loved his vets but you could see why Neil hated him as a coach. Neil did everything for this franchise he could if possible done, the classic company guy and a poster child for Dedication and loyalty - and Boucher pushes for Burrows who gets $5 million and Neil just be wondering why Guy Boucher and Dorion wouldn’t extend him and were trying to push him out the door when he was still impact, or at least as effective as Burrows. Neil deserved and should of had some of that Burrows money

Hockeysawks

May 16, 2023
I just meant more he’s been able to maintain defence that keeps his team near the top of the NHL and in the playoffs
I guess so, the people he has brougt in have not made sense to me . That team is slow and he seemed to bring in a bunch of junk this last deadline. Everyone seems to say they liked what he did but they got even slower.
How many times do you need to see a team with 4 top 6 players get shut down before you add a top 6 winger? Getting less skilled depth thats tougher is not helping.
Everyone likes ROR to me it was just the JT move again. A center they didn't need
The leafs needed goaltending and a top 6 player he did nothing for that. Then he walks onto the stage and talks about trading his good players after doing nothing to help them produce. This told me he has no idea how to build a team

Last edited:

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I guess so, the people he has brougt in have not made sense to me . That team is slow and he seemed to bring in a bunch of junk this last deadline. Everyone seems to say they liked what he did but they got even slower.
How many times do you need to see a team with 4 top 6 players get shut down before you add a top 6 winger? Getting less skilled depth thats tougher is not helping.
Everyone likes ROR to me it was just the JT move again. A center they didn't need
The leafs needed goaltending and a top 6 player he did nothing for that. Then he walks onto the stage and talks about trading his good players after doing nothing to help them produce. This told me he has no idea how to build a team

You’re right the Leafs just didn’t have the speed versus the Panthers - and here you have the classic balance of playoff toughness and grit balances to speed and skill to have everything you need to win. Dubas overcompensated on toughness and experience and it cost him because the Leafs looked lethargic versus Florida. And Dubas didn’t find balance that so for sure I also have my doubts about him.

That being said he did say in his “don’t really want to be the GM here anymore and have people staring in my windows” end of season press conference - he did say Florida learned hard playoff lessons that tought them to trade for Matthew and that excites me because I think he wouldn’t be afraid to come into Ottawa and make a big move to solidly the goaltending and D and get this team competitive in every category.

Hockeysawks

May 16, 2023
You’re right the Leafs just didn’t have the speed versus the Panthers - and here you have the classic balance of playoff toughness and grit balances to speed and skill to have everything you need to win. Dubas overcompensated on toughness and experience and it cost him because the Leafs looked lethargic versus Florida. And Dubas didn’t find balance that so for sure I also have my doubts about him.

That being said he did say in his “don’t really want to be the GM here anymore and have people staring in my windows” end of season press conference - he did say Florida learned hard playoff lessons that tought them to trade for Matthew and that excites me because I think he wouldn’t be afraid to come into Ottawa and make a big move to solidly the goaltending and D and get this team competitive in every category.
I find ithe thought of Dubas making a big splash horrifying. With Norris back and Chychrun playing I think they will have a strong team. I don't know how or what they would add to the D, it's starting to get full already and that cap is going to get tight. I'm thinking Chabot might have to go soon if Jake keeps improving, exchanged for an upgrade on the right perhaps?
I don't trust his goaltending judgement after seeing him grab Murray. I thought Murray was Dorions worst move.

Reactions: Golden_Jet

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
I find ithe thought of Dubas making a big splash horrifying. With Norris back and Chychrun playing I think they will have a strong team. I don't know how or what they would add to the D, it's starting to get full already and that cap is going to get tight. I'm thinking Chabot might have to go soon if Jake keeps improving, exchanged for an upgrade on the right perhaps?
I don't trust his goaltending judgement after seeing him grab Murray. I thought Murray was Dorions worst move.

You don’t have to worry about Dubas being here he will be announced as GM of Pittsburgh on Monday

Reactions: NB613 and bicboi64

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

One of the things I like about Dubas was his loyalty to his core and he committed to them and they wanted to win as a group. Ottawa needs that right now too.

Chabot yes, I think we ask him to be a 20 minute a night Dman who isn’t playing tired by game 15 and I see Chabot turning into a super solid top 4 guy. I loves Chabot’s compete and desire so I want to keep him. He’s kinda our Kyle Lowry - the guy who fought for the franchise and dug in when no one else did and was ready when help finally arrived

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Alfredsson could walk in and from month 1 start outperforming Dorion as GM imo.
At one point on here I read that the (alleged) friction between the two started with Dorion deciding to draft Formenton instead of a Swedish D man that Alfie wanted that's never played in the NHL.

I'm sure lots on the board agree with your assertion though. Heck there's guys here that think they'd do a better job that Dorion.

Maybe he could outperform him. But certainly you understand that saying so is hypothetical?

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

You thinking of wingels?

The irony of this debate, which has gone on for 6 years, is Dorion was nominated by his peers for GM of the year but the critics here think they know better

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
You thinking of wingels?

The irony of this debate, which has gone on for 6 years, is Dorion was nominated by his peers for GM of the year but the critics here think they know better
....with Murrays team.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
You thinking of wingels?

Yeah, Wingels, that's the one. They say it takes about 5 years to really evaluate a GMs moves, Dorion made some bold moves in his first year as GM. Do you think those peers would still view the Zibanejad and Burrows trades or move to get Brown at the draft the same with the powers of hindsight? Seems the critics may have had a point, though even broken clock is right twice a day...

Reactions: Norris4Norris

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Yeah, Wingels, that's the one. They say it takes about 5 years to really evaluate a GMs moves, Dorion made some bold moves in his first year as GM. Do you think those peers would still view the Zibanejad and Burrows trades or move to get Brown at the draft the same with the powers of hindsight? Seems the critics may have had a point, though even broken clock is right twice a day...
I'm not much of a hindsight guy. There's a poster here that I critize for specializing in it.

I never liked the Zibanejad trade. He was my favourite player on the team. But I kind of look at the last 7 or 8 years of Melnyk and personally I like to believe that some of what transpired happened due to Melnyk's financial shackles

At the end of the day, in the moment, his peers nominated him. And at the end of the regular season. Not based on the playoff run. The interesting part of that to me is him making trades to support a playoff run probably had a lot to do with getting him votes.

But here on HF sens, there are still those that bicker over the Burrows trade and highlight it as a poor trade.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Burrows was an even better move now given that Dahlen wasn’t and still isn’t an NHLer. As for the rest, if the award was given out in hindsight PD would probably been nominated just on the strength of the EK trade! Lol.

Reactions: aragorn

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I'm not much of a hindsight guy. There's a poster here that I critize for specializing in it.

I never liked the Zibanejad trade. He was my favourite player on the team. But I kind of look at the last 7 or 8 years of Melnyk and personally I like to believe that some of what transpired happened due to Melnyk's financial shackles

At the end of the day, in the moment, his peers nominated him. And at the end of the regular season. Not based on the playoff run. The interesting part of that to me is him making trades to support a playoff run probably had a lot to do with getting him votes.

But here on HF sens, there are still those that bicker over the Burrows trade and highlight it as a poor trade.
Funny that you say hindsight the Burrows trade as a bad trade when the vast majority of those who complain about it did so when it happened. It was a divisive at best trade from the get go.

Yes, Dorion's peers thought his moves were good enough to warrant the nod, that's before the playoff run so they probably thought they'd be positive for more than one playoff run, and if we're being honest probably weren't expecting Ottawa to have such a deep run.

The point is those GMs might second guess their choice now, and the people who criticized Dorion's moves back then would be vindicated.

Reactions: Cosmix and Bileur

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Burrows was an even better move now given that Dahlen wasn’t and still isn’t an NHLer. As for the rest, if the award was given out in hindsight PD would probably been nominated just on the strength of the EK trade! Lol.
Dalen was a prospect, he had a value in trades the same way a pick does, him not turning into a player doesn't change the value he had at the time of the trade. Besides, I'd rather have a prospect bust than have to buyout a contract a year after signing it.

Dorion definitely killed it on the Karlsson trade in hindsight, there was some luck involved and some astute decisions. Including Norris rather than another prospect or a young rising player like LeBanc was great. The first turning in to Stü was pretty damn lucky.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Funny that you say hindsight the Burrows trade as a bad trade when the vast majority of those who complain about it did so when it happened. It was a divisive at best trade from the get go.

Yes, Dorion's peers thought his moves were good enough to warrant the nod, that's before the playoff run so they probably thought they'd be positive for more than one playoff run, and if we're being honest probably weren't expecting Ottawa to have such a deep run.

The point is those GMs might second guess their choice now, and the people who criticized Dorion's moves back then would be vindicated.
The day after the trade, Dorion was on 1200 and said internally we had Dahlen rated as our 8th best prospect. He pulled a deal that got some vet experience for a mid level prospect. I gather his peers like that deal too. It's the type of deal GMs like to make.

I was quite good with that move at the time. Hindsight only makes it better because Dahlen never amounted to anything.

The Zibanejad deal I never liked. At the time. Or obviously now

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria

The would be vindicated though, that’s the thing with hindsight. It doesn’t vindicate you in the present because it isn’t information that you could have used in the past.

Burrows was a good trade at the time for the run because the team identified that Dahlen was pretty low on their prospect rankings, and shared that with us. People I here thought they knew better, but we’re shown to not only be wrong then, but still wrong now. No hindsight needed.

Brown was a good puck at the time, and the decision making at the time was sound. If PD still picked him in a redraft today, then yes, folks could question his drafting choice.

Zib was an extremely polarizing trade at the time, but even then we we’re trading picks for cash at the time, and there was talk that team didn’t want, or couldn’t, pay for the impending new deal. Brass was a reputable big game player in the playoffs so it made sense. That is one deal that was arguable then, as well as now.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Dalen was a prospect, he had a value in trades the same way a pick does, him not turning into a player doesn't change the value he had at the time of the trade. Besides, I'd rather have a prospect bust than have to buyout a contract a year after signing it.

Dorion definitely killed it on the Karlsson trade in hindsight, there was some luck involved and some astute decisions. Including Norris rather than another prospect or a young rising player like LeBanc was great. The first turning in to Stü was pretty damn lucky.
Of course it does.

The only people that thought he had value were people that in here. PD said at time what he though Dahlens value was, something like our 7th best prospect or whatever.

His real life value was the player he returned, not what some HFSens posters dreamed that he could return.

Thats a cheap way of thinking that I hope we can move on from. I’d much rather have a clutch NHL vet join the team for a stretch and playoff run, and maybe have to buy him out later if he doesn’t live up to his deal, then hold on to a prospect that you think is a long shot for the NHL to begin with. But that’s just me.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The day after the trade, Dorion was on 1200 and said internally we had Dahlen rated as our 8th best prospect. He pulled a deal that got some vet experience for a mid level prospect. I gather his peers like that deal too. It's the type of deal GMs like to make.

I was quite good with that move at the time. Hindsight only makes it better because Dahlen never amounted to anything.

The Zibanejad deal I never liked. At the time. Or obviously now
This story seems to add a prospect every time you tell it, but what Dorion actually said was it hurts to move him, we had 4 or 5 guys he'll never trade, and Dahlen wasn't among them. We had a lot of good prospects at that time, nobody said Dahlen wasn't expendable, but having lots of prospects doesn't mean the ones you have have less value. We likely valued Dahlen somewhere between a 2nd and a late 1st, just like those picks, prospects at that level don't always pan out. In 2020, we had 6 picks in the first two round, doesn't mean the 6th of them wasn't worth as much as if we only had a pick per round, but it does mean we can afford to move one.

Reactions: bicboi64 and Bileur
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad