Management GM Pierre Dorion/Front Office Thread - Part IX [Mod Warning in post 1)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Read the article and couldn't really understand the conflict. His agent doesn't represent any hockey players and is not even a certified hockey agent. Why would this be a conflict of interest?
Could this just have been a nudge from the Leafs to ask them to look into it? I'd imagine they're a bit concerned about Matthew's status and the relationship there.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Read the article and couldn't really understand the conflict. His agent doesn't represent any hockey players and is not even a certified hockey agent. Why would this be a conflict of interest?

If he works for the same organization as Matthews' agent, there's a potential conflict of interest there.

It's the only way I can wrap my head around Dubas giving Matthews a 5YR extension at 11.6M per.

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
If he works for the same organization as Matthews' agent, there's a potential conflict of interest there.

It's the only way I can wrap my head around Dubas giving Matthews a 5YR extension at 11.6M per.

They would have internal firewalls set up.

Wasserman is a MASSIVE agency. This sort of thing is inevitable.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa

So he wouldn't be able to get representation from any agency that also has a current Maple Leafs player under representation? That's kinda crazy, no? Would he also have to switch agents in the future if he traded for a player represented by the same agency? Can he hire any coaches represented by the same agency? You see how ridiculous this is becoming?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
It comes down to the NHLPA wanting to protect the interests of its players, and despite not writing their regulations properly to do so (surprise surprise that the NHLPA screwed something up...) They aren't comfortable with an agency representing both sides, likely for fear of an agent passing Intel to the other side.

Basically they don't trust that agents at Wasserman won't talk shop at the Watercooler and have it get back to Dubas through his agent.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
So he wouldn't be able to get representation from any agency that also has a current Maple Leafs player under representation? That's kinda crazy, no? Would he also have to switch agents in the future if he traded for a player represented by the same agency? Can he hire any coaches represented by the same agency? You see how ridiculous this is becoming?

The way I understand it is no agency representing players in the NHL can be certified if they also represent front office guys. The agency has to pick one, or at least that's how the NHLPA wants their regulations to be interpreted

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
The way I understand it is no agency representing players in the NHL can be certified if they also represent front office guys. The agency has to pick one, or at least that's how the NHLPA wants their regulations to be interpreted

This is completely impractical though lol.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
No, the rule is no agent representing players in the NHL can be certified. The gist of the article is whether there's a conflict of interest because the agent works at an agency that represents NHLers, in this case Matthews. Dubas' agent is not a certified player agent in the NHL and therefore there should be no conflict of interest.

NHLPA Certified Agent regulations prohibit agents from representing and providing services to any officer or employee of an NHL club. Armstrong is not currently an NHL certified agent and therefore not subject to discipline by the NHLPA; Armstrong is predominantly a golf agent and represents professional golfers Tony Finau and Cameron Champ, among others, for Wasserman.

The question for the NHLPA to determine: Are agents working for the same agency, but in a different division or arm of the firm, also prohibited from representing hockey executives on the other side of the table?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
No, the rule is no agent representing players in the NHL can be certified. The gist of the article is whether there's a conflict of interest because the agent works at an agency that represents NHLers, in this case Matthews. Dubas' agent is not a certified player agent in the NHL and therefore there should be no conflict of interest.
I know what the rules say, in my other reply to you I pointed out that they didn't actually draft it to match how they seem to want it interpreted, at the end of the day though, they control who they certify so they likely will be amending their regulations to align with their interpretation.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
For that agent, no. For that agency, potentially yes. However, I suspect that the net result will be discussion, consideration and then development of new "written guidelines".

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
The following information is courtesy of poster DesertedPenguin from the Pittsburgh Penguins HFBoards forum:

Elloitte Friedman says he thinks the Penguins are willing to wait on Dubas over the holiday weekend. He believes it's Dubas' job if he wants it, but it's not closed yet. He noted he believes a chunk of FSG is at the Grand Prix in Monaco this weekend, so if they need to sign off or be involved in-person, that's another reason for a possible delay to next week.

Friedman added that if it's not Dubas, he believes Mathieu Darche is still involved but is not sure if he's the only one.

He and Marek both talked about the possibility of Dubas still keeping an eye on Ottawa and just how long the Penguins are willing to wait for a decision.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
The following information is courtesy of poster DesertedPenguin from the Pittsburgh Penguins HFBoards forum:

Elloitte Friedman says he thinks the Penguins are willing to wait on Dubas over the holiday weekend. He believes it's Dubas' job if he wants it, but it's not closed yet. He noted he believes a chunk of FSG is at the Grand Prix in Monaco this weekend, so if they need to sign off or be involved in-person, that's another reason for a possible delay to next week.

Friedman added that if it's not Dubas, he believes Mathieu Darche is still involved but is not sure if he's the only one.

He and Marek both talked about the possibility of Dubas still keeping an eye on Ottawa and just how long the Penguins are willing to wait for a decision.

Be wary with Freidman, when he says he believes vs I’m hearing.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Be wary with Freidman, when he says he believes vs I’m hearing.

It seems like a safe bet to say what he said.

Dubas will likely be hired by Pittsburgh but if he's not or if Pittsburgh takes its time then it could very well by Ottawa as soon as the new owners are decided. There aren't a lot of vacancies and Dubas is the most high profile candidate. From the sounds of the bids most have advisers or POHO type people lined up but no GM at this stage.

It's just the fancy insider-but-not-an-insider way to hedge your bets. That's not to bash Friedman but how much do any of these guys really know and can release? I'm sure they have relationship. I'm also sure executives and decision makers in organizations like Toronto and elsewhere have been briefed on how to deal with media.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

If Ottawa does not get Dubas, then perhaps we can get Darche. :)

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
Imagine Dorion got actual good rentals instead of Stalberg and Burrows for a playoff run. The Sens could have been Stanley Cup champs.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Imagine Dorion got actual good rentals instead of Stalberg and Burrows for a playoff run. The Sens could have been Stanley Cup champs.
Both of those rentals were pretty good on our budget actually.

What you mean to dream about is imagine if EM let Dorion spend to the cap for those years…..

Dream away my friend…..

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
Both of those rentals were pretty good on our budget actually.

What you mean to dream about is imagine if EM let Dorion spend to the cap for those years…..

Dream away my friend…..

Burrows made 2.5 million and he was so cooked that he chose to walk away from the contract rather than finish it.

Stalberg was good though.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Even if hes not holding out for Ottawa, Dubas would be stupid to go to the Penguins - who wants to be the captain of a sinking ship? Even if its a really famous one....That has to be one of the least desirable jobs in hockey right now.

The team is already being run by the old veteran players and their coach who haven't realized yet they cant/wont ever win as a group together again. And they aren't allowed to be moved either.... And they're all committed to not rebuilding and will instead continue to mortgage their future.

He would have even less freedom than he was used to in Toronto. He would inherit a barren prospect pool and have no real valuable assets that he's allowed to trade, other than more future picks.... And so his team will realistically be 5-10 years from being relevant again (considering they probably have another couple years before they actually just fall apart at the seams).

Like seriously it's as bleak an outlook as it gets for a young GM thats highly sought after. Give the Penguins job to a savvy old vet GM who gives no f***s about his future in the league, or about the future of the team after he and the core players go down swinging.

And I'll be shocked if Dubas doesn't also see it that way.

Last edited:
Reactions: bicboi64
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad