Management GM Pierre Dorion/Front Office Thread - Part IX [Mod Warning in post 1)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Kyle Dubas is Prince Harry.

Kyle Dubas certainly has branded himself as a some family man who can’t go to work without hugging his wife every morning.

Don’t find that genuine - if the NYR called right now and offered him the GM job he’d be doing an interview in Madison Square gardens today broadcast into Tike Square.

I get it, the Leafs offer you million and you leave and there has to be a rational reason - his job is high profile everywhere. Brendan Shanahan built a giant mansion when he was a young star and made the house mostly out of glass so people could see him, he likes the spotlight. Dubas does too so I don’t find him honest at this time, you don’t have glasses and perfect hair like Dubas does unless you want the spotlight and you don’t Prince Harry it by doing more media to complain about how hard the media is on you and release statements unless you want your story out there.

Dubas isn’t a fraud, his ego is inflated from being a Toronto sports figure for so long and he thinks we care about his brand. When your brand isn’t winning it becomes family, and when you don’t winning or a family you have a “girlfriend”

Hockeysawks

May 16, 2023
All GMs make mistakes unfortunately you won't be getting a Brisbois right now.

Dubas is a good executive and forward thinking when building out his departments in Toronto. He is a good option in a very very limited pool of people with experience. Disagree that there are many better options with experience out there
Hes a serious hustler I give him props for that. Doug Maclean said he met Kyle when he was GM of the Soo. He knew a guy that set up a lunch meeting. Dubas asked how not to get fired.
Pick Dougs brain a bit and flatter him like he helped build the team

The hooks were set, Dubas was now in position to make a move. "Hey thanks for saving my job if you know anyone who wants to come to the playoffs tell them they can sit with us."

Last edited:
Reactions: HSF

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
What? Many do. Tavares did. Happens in basketball all the time. Take less to go to a contender, hometown, etc. It's the exception not the rule, without a doubt, and obviously there's limits, but to say never is foolish.

I took less to work with my Brother than I was getting for a big telecomms corp. No ragrets.

As for the rest, I'm not too interested in arguing for Dubas, was just trying to provide some context for why some may feel they want a change from Dorion, regardless who that is.

Tavares’s contract was structured in a way, to maximize his “take home” pay and avoid the high combined Ontario/Federal income taxes rules…. And by remaining as a US resident, together he, at the time became the highest “take home paid” NHL, so no, he did not take less.

Reactions: bicboi64

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

1. Dubas is at the top of Pittsburgh’s managerial wish list, assuming he and family are ready to make the move. There have already been discussions. The Penguins are prepared to give him a bit of time to consider. When it comes to Ottawa, it will be interesting to see if the winning bidder has already committed to any particular hockey operations leader, including the people already in place. There are suspected links for all four prospective owners, but nothing is done until it’s done.

Reactions: NB613

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Tavares’s contract was structured in a way, to maximize his “take home” pay and avoid the high combined Ontario/Federal income taxes rules…. And by remaining as a US resident, together he, at the time became the highest “take home paid” NHL, so no, he did not take less.

I meant the higher SJ offer. He took less to go to Toronto. Like many other players have done for various reasons.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013

This appears to be coming to a head.

I think there will be charges laid.

Johnny Hanson

Jul 6, 2008
Reactions: gab6511

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
And suddenly it will be July 1st and we still won’t know if AF is “signable” for next season. Not ideal.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
I've had the feeling they are waiting for the season to be completely over.
God, I hope that's not the case. They'll just be giving ammo to the idea that the business of hockey is more important than an investigation into a sexual assault. It's compounding the narrative that professional male athletes get special treatment because of their status and that the entertainment of professional sports supersedes the criminal behaviour of its participants.

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
God, I hope that's not the case. They'll just be giving ammo to the idea that the business of hockey is more important than an investigation into a sexual assault. It's compounding the narrative that professional male athletes get special treatment because of their status and that the entertainment of professional sports supersedes the criminal behaviour of its participants.
Well, it's not really an idea or a narrative, it's been the literal truth that professional athletes have had a different set of standards for them compared to the general public, just like celebrities. Agreed it needs to change.

Reactions: jhutter

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
just a guess , not that I condone it.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

Ralph Malfredsson

PhD in indiscreet street haggling
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2008
Yeah, he did such a fantastic job with essentially an unlimited budget, the ability to hire as many management personal, bury as many contracts as needed, fire and continue to pay as many coaches as he felt, trade for anyone he wanted and all the other trappings that go with the arguably the NHLs flagship franchise……. It would be such an easy move for him to come into the perhaps smallest Canadian Market, with all off the constraints that go along with that, and see how he would fail here, as he did in Toronto with all of those assets he had there, that are not available in Ottawa.

In short, he was an OHL GM, that sat beside Lou Lamoriello for a few seasons, and was handed the keys to the franchise over Lou Lamoriello, and with all of those advantages, failed.
I mean, aside from these well argued points, man it'd be great if we landed Dubas.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I mean, aside from these well argued points, man it'd be great if we landed Dubas.
Because he was sooooo successful in Toronto with all the advantages that he would not have here…. He’s a glorified OHL GM, and was handed the keys to the leafs, and accomplished nothing… besides painting them into a corner.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Because he was sooooo successful in Toronto with all the advantages that he would not have here…. He’s a glorified OHL GM, and was handed the keys to the leafs, and accomplished nothing… besides painting them into a corner.
I'm not endorsing him, but it's not that black and white. It's been a mix of good and bad, like Dorion. Their core is obviously the problem there. Whether or not he was allowed to trade them under Shanahan appears to be in question. Playoff appearances every year under his tenure after the first couple seasons.

Getting Murray was dumb af, but it seems like he has a way out of that with buyout or ltir and Samsonov being as good and as cheap as he was made it sort of irrelevant this year.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Dream front office:

POHO - Nick Kypreos
GM - Gord Stellick
AGM - Jeff O'Neill
AGM - Glenn Healy
Spartacat - Justin Bourne
For PR, can we also bring back Nick Rutkowski (or whatever his name was) to tell fans how comforted and excited they should be that there's a salary cap floor the team is required to spend to?!?!

Reactions: hockeywiz542
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad