Management GM Pierre Dorion/Front Office Thread - Part IX [Mod Warning in post 1)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adrianopolous

Oct 5, 2017
Delray Beach, Florida
Don't think he said anything that was inflammatory or did anything that was problematic. I don't have issues with outside (if you want to call it that) opinions if they have some merit and are respectful.

BTW, don't confuse the paragraph above as an endorsement of Dubas. I'm far from convinced he is the answer. I definitely don't like all the things he did for sure.
He lost 5 games to the Panthers after celebrating a cup win in round 1 😂 we don't allow that trash around here @hamzarocks

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
He lost 5 games to the Panthers after celebrating a cup win in round 1 😂 we don't allow that trash around here @hamzarocks
For clarification purposes, who is "he"? I'd assume Dubas, but just want to make sure.

There can be more than one reason why something happens.

I have reservations as well regarding Dubas. Having said, I can't say with confidence who I'd recommend for the next Senators GM. I just don't feel like I have enough info. There's too much info that people don't have imho and not sure I'd have the quals either to make a determination.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
It sounds like Dubas asked Shanahan for Shanahan money to stay. So presumably no one like a Shanahan telling him he cant make a trade either. Maybe Pit will give him that POHO free power.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Dubas is FSG's wet dream of a GM candidate. They're going to make him the highest paid front office exec in NHL history.

Sens Vader

Jan 23, 2016
For all the talk about not being able to get a replacement in on time for the draft once the sale is finalized, do we really need a new GM on time for the draft? We don't pick until the 4th round...

I think it would be just to get ahead of the Debrincat situation

But even then I don’t think it’s that big of an issue. We will get ownership news this week and go from there

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
For all the talk about not being able to get a replacement in on time for the draft once the sale is finalized, do we really need a new GM on time for the draft? We don't pick until the 4th round...
While rare Ottawa has had a habit of taking some pretty good players late in the draft like Hoffman, Stone & Batherson to name only three.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Of course we need a GM for the draft. Perhaps we would like to make a trade or sign a player to a deal.

The team is in good hands at the moment, it’s still PD’s baby. I hope that whomever comes in as a replacement respects the vision and core that has been built, because it’s pretty awesome and I’d like to see what the kids can accomplish.

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
Of course we need a GM for the draft. Perhaps we would like to make a trade or sign a player to a deal.

The team is in good hands at the moment, it’s still PD’s baby. I hope that whomever comes in as a replacement respects the vision and core that has been built, because it’s pretty awesome and I’d like to see what the kids can accomplish.
Dorion shouldn’t be trusted to make any signings or trades. His time here is close to being done. Thank God!

Last edited:

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
I think Dorion should be given a special assignment to scout amateur players until he finds another job with another team.

the nhl version of being sent to the wall

also damn idk if thats more or less ruthless. from private jets and power to booking busses lol

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
While rare Ottawa has had a habit of taking some pretty good players late in the draft like Hoffman, Stone & Batherson to name only three.
GMs don't typically have much of a role in late round picks.

Unless we're trading DeBrincat and wanting to get picks for the draft back, I don't see much issue with making a change in GM after the draft,

Hockeysawks

May 16, 2023

Unless we're trading DeBrincat and wanting to get picks for the draft back, I don't see much issue with making a change in GM after the draft,
You don't like Dorions vision of a team? I Like his contracts the core, the prospects,
I think he has earned next years playoff run.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

Doesn't the GM set the direction for the kind of players they want in their org? It seems that this management team was building a playoff team, while another GM might go in a different direction. I just don't see a team ready to make the playoffs trading away DBC, a 66 pt player for picks. It's time to fill holes & improve weaknesses for a playoff team.

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
What bad contracts do the sens have?
Right now, Joseph is probably the worst contract we have. Recently though he's signed Dadonov, traded and signed Murray and traded for Talbot.

The DeBrincat acquisition is still in the wait and see how it turns out phase, it could become the new Duchene trade, the new Bobby Ryan acquisition or it could work out, we don't really know yet.

Dorion has been a mixed bag, some moves to like, some questionable moves. Lots of potential but little on ice success.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Right now, Joseph is probably the worst contract we have. Recently though he's signed Dadonov, traded and signed Murray and traded for Talbot.

The DeBrincat acquisition is still in the wait and see how it turns out phase, it could become the new Duchene trade, the new Bobby Ryan acquisition or it could work out, we don't really know yet.

Dorion has been a mixed bag, some moves to like, some questionable moves. Lots of potential but little on ice success.
I really don't want to be in a position of defending Dorion but it's somewhat unfair to say little on ice success. Teams that are rebuilding usually don't have on ice success or they wouldn't be rebuilding, most insiders say that it takes 5 yrs to evaluate a rebuild. Some teams have been rebuilding for much longer like Arz. There have also been teams that were crappy for yrs before they got good & others got good quicker because they won the lottery. In some cases they got two elite players in back to back yrs (McDavid/Draisaitl - Crosby/Malkin - Mathews/Marner - Toews/Kane). Two of these pairs have won a cup & two have not.

The Sens did make the Conference finals 6 seasons ago & were disappointed with the team the next yr & the downfall began & it's been 5 yrs of rebuilding. But last yr was a big step forward where most of us now think this team is ready to contend for a playoff spot. Goaltending injuries really hurt the team the last two seasons & that has to be addressed this off season again. And Covid hit during this rebuild which didn't help. Every GM has good & bad decisions when people are involved, you never know if a player will perform for your team the way they performed somewhere else, some do & some don't for whatever reasons. And you never know about injuries, it's not a perfect science & then there was the owner.

Hockeysawks

May 16, 2023

Ya some of it isn't the best, But he did trade Dado for holden and Murray made zer sense. What was Dubas thinking after seeing that disaster play out?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I really don't want to be in a position of defending Dorion but it's somewhat unfair to say little on ice success. Teams that are rebuilding usually don't have on ice success or they wouldn't be rebuilding, most insiders say that it takes 5 yrs to evaluate a rebuild. Some teams have been rebuilding for much longer like Arz. There have also been teams that were crappy for yrs before they got good & others got good quicker because they won the lottery. In some cases they got two elite players in back to back yrs (McDavid/Draisaitl - Crosby/Malkin - Mathews/Marner - Toews/Kane). Two of these pairs have won a cup & two have not.

The Sens did make the Conference finals 6 seasons ago & were disappointed with the team the next yr & the downfall began & it's been 5 yrs of rebuilding. But last yr was a big step forward where most of us now think this team is ready to contend for a playoff spot. Goaltending injuries really hurt the team the last two seasons & that has to be addressed this off season again. And Covid hit during this rebuild which didn't help. Every GM has good & bad decisions when people are involved, you never know if a player will perform for your team the way they performed somewhere else, some do & some don't for whatever reasons. And you never know about injuries, it's not a perfect science & then there was the owner.
It's a fact, there's been little on ice success of late. You can certainly find some mitigating factors that led to the lack of on ice success, but it is what it is.

No GM is perfect, everyone makes bad moves, I'm not saying Dorion has been exclusively bad, but I also won't pretend everything has gone according to plan. When the team acquired Murray and Dadonov, that pretty clearly signaled the team was looking to have on ice success that year. It didn't pan out, and we took a bit of a step back.

Looking forward I'm pretty happy with the roster, we're missing some stability in net and there's uncertainty about DeBrincat, but otherwise the roadmap seems set out. We'll have to see how it goes from here, but whether it should be Dorion at the helm or someone else to put the final pieces in place I personally don't have a strong opinion on.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Ya some of it isn't the best, But he did trade Dado for holden and Murray made zer sense. What was Dubas thinking after seeing that disaster play out?
Ya, he got out of his recent bad deals, credit to him for that.

Murray wasn't a bad roll of the dice, but the contract was terrible. Dubas managed to get him on a more reasonable contact but the risk was even more clear that he wasn't going to be able to stay healthy.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Gimme Dubas.

Giroux from the Ottawa region a Sens fan finally with the Sens.

Dubas, a big Sens fan finally with the Sens.

Let's get the passion back on this team. You know Dubas will come here with a purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad