Management GM Pierre Dorion/Front Office Thread - Part IX [Mod Warning in post 1)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
The managers in futbol are overseers, tacticians and also down on the pitch in games and practices mentoring and fostering relationships and growth with the players.

Alfredsson would excel in that role. He is a genius at hockey and a natural leader that the players would go through walls for.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Dubas underestimated the toughness required in the playoffs & while he had the money & the resources he never fixed that problem thinking his soft skilled players would over come & did not. Ottawa made that same mistake for yrs when the Leafs were beating us with a tougher, but less skilled team. No to Spezza, No to Karlsson & No to Alfredsson, time to move on from the past & bring in a new management team with a new approach if or when this management team fails.

My guess is that this process is moving too slowly right now to make any changes & given the success that this rebuild has started with the good young players they have & signed long term my guess is that they go into next season with the same management team. We will see next yr how far they get & if they stumble it could be the excuse the new ownership is looking for to replace this management team with their own. However, while I reserve judgement I would like to know which hockey people are advising these bids & which one of these hockey people will be part of the new management team. While we hope for the best, not having good hockey people could also hurt this franchise & hurt our progress. Marketing is great but what do they know about the product on the ice which is all that really matters & brings in fans.

Adrianopolous

Oct 5, 2017
Delray Beach, Florida
Spezza resigned from the Leafs, we should be giving him a call

He's a Toronto lover. Let him stay there. We should be rewarding real loyal Ottawa guys like Alfie, Philipps, Turris, Neil, Karlsson down the road, etc.

Reactions: ReginKarlssonLehner

JaredCowen4Norris

Jul 9, 2020
You're missing the most important part of Dorion's negotiation with his RFAs. It's the term, not the AAV. That was the whole reason for Tkachuk missing training camp that year. Dorion absolutely wanted the term, and stuck to his guns. It will pay off HUGE in a few years when they're in their prime, making peanuts, especially if/when the cap goes up.

Getting both guys to do 7/8-year extensions was great, but it was made possible by neither player being able to really negotiate with proven results. Had Tkachuk been negotiating coming off a 98 point season going into a season where the Sens were trying to compete, he would have had a lot more leverage and probably would have been gunning for shorter term or higher AAV. If he would have sat out, it would have just made a bad team worse. Even with Stutzle, it was clear he was going to develop into a great player, but he didn't have the ELC performance to justify playing hardball with the team. If he tried to demand a Matthews/Marner contract, it would have been solely based on his potential which isn't solid ground to negotiate on.

Matthews/Marner had the Leafs over the barrel from the get-go. They were clearly the best players on a team that was actively competing for a spot in the playoffs. The Leafs were in no position to dictate what they wanted with either player, and if they tried, the threat of them sitting out for a season was legitimate leverage.

At the end of the day, I'm very happy with the contracts both our core stars are on. It was a big win for the franchise to get both those guys locked up at good value long-term, but it wasn't because our GM was "better" than theirs. We were just going into negotiations with our young stars in a far more favourable position vs. the Leafs.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
For those interested in Spezza, who's to say he doesn't run right back to the Leafs once Shanahan is out?

He's clearly a Leaf pajamas guy. Doesn't matter how many points or playoff wins he was a part of here.

Who someone cheered for as a kid doesn’t make much difference. The second that Pierre Dorion moves out of his office at CTC his laptop will go back to having a Habs logo background.

JaredCowen4Norris

Jul 9, 2020
Don’t forget Stützle also had a 56 game season in there. PD didn’t sign them to 5 or 6 year deals at top money, like KD did.

Very true, but neither of our guys were really in a position to demand a player-favourable contract. Had Stutzle been coming off back-to-back 30 goal seasons, it would have been a much tougher negotiation.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Very true, but neither of our guys were really in a position to demand a player-favourable contract. Had Stutzle been coming off back-to-back 30 goal seasons, it would have been a much tougher negotiation.

Jake Sanderson will be a better test case if he puts up 50 points next year, plays 23 minutes a night and the team makes the playoffs.

Reactions: JaredCowen4Norris

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Who someone cheered for as a kid doesn’t make much difference. The second that Pierre Dorion moves out of his office at CTC his laptop will go back to having a Habs logo background.

Normally I'd agree but he bent over backwards to accommodate the organization in the last several years of his playing career (3 consecutive one year deals at league minimum) and straight up said he'd retire if anyone else claimed him on waivers.

His heart belongs to Toronto. It's where he wants to be.

JaredCowen4Norris

Jul 9, 2020
Jake Sanderson will be a better test case if he puts up 50 points next year, plays 23 minutes a night and the team makes the playoffs.

Exactly. If Sanderson has a big season next year, he'll have a lot more power when it comes time for a new contract. Especially considering our depth on D is lacking.

Adrianopolous

Oct 5, 2017
Delray Beach, Florida
Normally I'd agree but he bent over backwards to accommodate the organization in the last several years of his playing career (3 consecutive one year deals at league minimum) and straight up said he'd retire if anyone else claimed him on waivers.

If people don't see this then they're blind.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I think it would be smart for new ownership to fill the organization with missing roles to support the people here, and then sit back and evaluate the next season.

If there is a stumble or whatever, the replacement people are already in the organization and have met all of the staff and players. If there is no stumble, then we have fully fleshed out front office with all the support hockey ops needs to succeed.

This team does not need a new message/direction at the moment, we’re progressing nicely on the current trajectory and so I see no reason for a shake up.

As for Spezza, i’d bring him in if he wanted, along with Brass. Can’t have too many smart hockey minds at work in the mix. These types of guys need grooming and experience, and I personally am more interested in that kind of change.

Reactions: bicboi64

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

He was extending his career with 1 yr deals to play in his hometown, it was there or retire at that point, there's nothing wrong with that and there's certainly nothing wrong with him saying he'd retire if claimed at that point either.

He wants a career in management, it's pretty much a given that it won't be exclusively in Toronto and he's smart enough to understand that. Every player in the league, every GM every POHO, they all had favourite teams growing up they all have home towns. Holding it against Spezza because he had a chance to play and work for him is dumb.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Dubas hasn't done shit.

The Leafs D core is worse than ours (since we've added Chychrun and Sanderson), their goaltending has been a tire fire (taking Murray from us?!?! LMAO!), and their stars are way overpaid on too short of contracts (compare that to the amazing deals Stutzle, Tkachuk, Norris have).
their d core is worse than ours until we added two really good d men lol. also we got obliterated when all 4 top 4 d were healthy lol.we actually don’t know how good our defence is.
murray was a bad shot.
my heir forwards contracts. i mean meh. they always seem to find room for some depth.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Dorion is a lousy GM. Dubas is a lousy GM.

If we make a GM change, it should be for an upgrade, not a weenie who doesn't know how to manage a roster even with all the money in the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad